Spinner Tracking

Captain

Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure for tracking a fibreglass spinner?

It is mentioned in the build CD but I can't locate any specific instructions.

My prop is tracking perfectly to less than 0.5 mm. It's just the spinner I'm after.

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff

The prop will track at an acceptable level with static tracking as you've discovered. The spinner is a different beast and if out of track may take a few adjustments to get right. The factory tracks the prop at idle with a white board marker simply by standing in front of it with the marker held out to touch the spinner just inboard of the tip or front of the spinner. You need to just touch the spinner with the marker no more. This mark represents the direction the spinner needs to move away to track correctly.

I use a regular broom handle with a groove cut in it at 45degrees on one end which I cabletie the whiteboard marker to. I use different colours and leave the last colour on so every adjustment I make I can see if I'm going in the correct direction or if I've gone too far. Before you start the engine, apply brakes on, chock the wheels then using the broom stick which is now called a trackometer find the position on the ground where it just touches the spinner in the correct position, mark that position on the ground and youre ready to go, bearing in mind the aircraft moves slightly when its started. Warning, do not lower the trackometer after you've made the mark or at any other time you'll put it into the prop.

The track can also be done without starting the engine with mags off and just cranking it over. I have found this to be not as accurate as having the motor running. Up to you.

I know it sounds dangerous and it can be if you're not carefull.

I must add here that I've done blade tracking on helicopters as part of my job so feel comfortable with it but that did not happen overnight.

Take care

Greg A

Guest JRMobile

I have played with the spinner as greg has discribed for the past three years, the only diffrence being someone was always in the cockpit, as I never felt safe doing it on my own.

In the end I bought a shiny new cummins spinner. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Cheers John

I have to agree with that John, I was never totally satisfied with the glass spinners tracking and also changed to the cummins spinner but that was due to changing to the Italian GT prop which is very smooth.

Greg

another way is to assemble it with the screws not tightened only snug

apply brakes ,start engine stand in front of prop & tap gently on spinner with finger (the one you use the least in case of an accident) until you get it right . stop engine tighten screws & check again .do this at your own peril but it does work .

Geeeeez Fellas

These posts are frightening the heck out of me just reading then, let alone standing on the wrong side of the fan.

I think I'll wait a day or 2, just in case you are winding me up.

Regards & thanks for your suggestions (I think).

Geoff

Now where did I put Cummins' number?

That sounds like it's worth a try, just one question, how many fingers do you currently have?

It's not that the prop hits you hard it's just that it hits you so often!!

Sorry Geoff, this post was directed to Rodknee.

Greg

Guest brentc

I found Captain that when I put it on it wasn't tracking at all, but then I changed the position of the backing plate and it was perfect. Other than that probably the only way to track it is to slightly elongate some of the holes then align it using the front set of screws only, then the rear ones. Use a texta as others have said you you know what you're changing otherwise you'll get confused. Either that or buy a nice new Carbon Fibre prop like mine complete with Cummins spinner. The only problem you'll have then is keeping your spinner polished and shiny.

It's not that the prop hits you hard it's just that it hits you so often!!

Greg

That's not what Jack Newton reckons.

Regards & thanks again for the tips. Will ask my wife to select which finger I should use for these procedures.

Geoff

PS Rodknee - Do you have Forum Tipster's Indemnity Insurance against which I might be able to claim if I stuff up the spinner finger poking? (just joking).

only trying to be helpful & all the usual caveats apply,so sorry no insurance !!

you should still have some fingers left

by using the finger that is used least you wont miss it so much

if only the spinner is damaged there is one for sale on this site for a good price