Logbook Software

shags_j

Hi All,

I am writing a small program that is basically a logbook program designed for RA Pilots. What sort of aircraft information do you all think would be relevant to keep. I mean what sort of level of information do you think would be useful?

Cheers,

J

Guest Brett Campany

Things that come to mind.

A/C Rego

A/C Type

Departure airport

Arrival airport

Total Time

PIC Time

Student & Solo Time

Cross Country

Cost

How about:

Co-pilot / passenger

No. of landings

Waypoints

fuel/oil

Comments

Separate columns for Hours as student, hours PIC

For example

4/1/10 95-1234 Rans S7 Springsure-Childers 5.5hrs (PIC) via Moura Co-pilot Sue 70.5 litres 1 litre oil, 2 landings, strong winds and rain.

Alerts for BFR coming due & other important dates.

Sue

Guest drizzt1978
Are we even allowed to keep our logbook electronicslly.Cheers

I dont know, but is a great detail for a backup!

Guest Brett Campany

I've been using Zululog.com as a back up for a while, that way I can always keep an eye on how much I've spent on flying and it'll email me the monthly flight hours and when I'm due for any currencies.

But I'm keen as mustard to see what Shag's comes up with!

HI All,

This will not be used as an official logbook, and I won't even guarantee it for a backup. I am writing it to provide some details for my flights that I don't get in my logbook (ie I will have it link to media files etc. for each flight) and I have wanted for a while. Once released I will be happy to add any features anyone wants (time permitting) but it is really just a handy tool to use. It will do currency notices etc as well I hope.

Anyways still being written so don't go holding your breaths or anything. Thanks again for the advice i will incorporate most of it I think.

Cheers,

Shags

Way of the future

I have kept all my flying records electronically from the start of my training till now and will always do so.

Shags, is your program a spread sheet or a data base? If the latter it can do beaut things like specific reports on all flying for the last x months, the average fuel burn for the last x fills etc etc.

All my data is backed up each day and a full copy is kept on a monster hard drive for every day and each month a burned copy is stored off site. This is primarily my work data but my flying stuff goes along for the ride. (Our I.T. man is paranoid about losing data!)

I have heard of log books being lost, burned and soaked in floods.

I think Maj. Millard expressed his feeling re lost log books recently.

I think this is the way of the future, and if it is not legal now it will be in the not to distant.

Mark D

I started writing it when Maj talked about how important logbooks are. I also wanted to be able to attache media to different flights (memories wise).

The program will be database driven and I have access to crystal reports so there are plenty of options going forward.

Keep in mind though that I haven't worked as a programmer for about 8 years. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I would appreciate a column for my time flying (not as PIC or under instruction) to keep track of the hours in the air.

How about distance, litres = fuel efficiency (realise this will change with weather but good for planning for the unexpected). And hours / litres for same reason.

And fuel type (mogas, avgas, MXo+, diesel, Jet A-1)

Sue