SPOT X. Any experience?

Downunder

I have a Spot Gen 3 & it works really well & I note in the "About" page in the mobile app they say that you can call anyone even when out of Cellular range but this is a bit misleading. You can send SMS messages only, you can't make a Satellite phone call. Having bluetooth connectivity is useful as the tiny qwerty keyboard buttons are not easy to use so you can key it more easily on your phone or use voice to text. BUT the service costs are $US290.00 a year or about $AU480.00 so for the added functionality of having 2 way text capability (with 5 minute tracking) anywhere it is expensive. The Gen 3 is about $AUD300.00 a year service cost.

I take mine all the time & my wife can watch my progress at home. I just hit the check in before I fly & she knows I am about to take off. Then when I land I send another one.

• Informative 1

I don't have any GPS tracking/messaging devices (I guess I just like relying on my own resources) - but numerous remote-location-loving 4WD-er friends are right into the trackers, convinced they are the ultimate fallback device.

There are numerous trackers available, and the plans are four times as numerous. And it's the available plans that often provide the greatest level of input into the decision-making.

4WD'ers close to me insist the Garmin InReach Explorer + is the pick of the bunch, due to two main reasons - flexibility in plans, with the ability to pause your subscription if you need to, when you don't require the device to be operational - and the fact the Garmin utilises the latest Iridium Saga satellites, which provide 4 times the coverage of the Thuraya satellite system, as used by the Spot devices.

The Spot Gen3 does have the advantage of a considerably longer battery life, but that should not be a major consideration, if proper forward planning is carried out. 

The major factor in favour of the Garmin over the Spot, is the 2-way messaging ability - even though that comes at increased cost. This feature played a big part in a number of friends decisions to go with the Garmin.

This is an American-based comparison review, below - but the largest majority of the information supplied, is also applicable to Australia.

https://www.rei.com/blog/news/which-satellite-messenger-should-you-get

EDIT - I mentioned above, that the Thuraya satellite system was advised to me, to be the satellite system Spot used.

Further investigation has revealed that Spot primarily uses the Globalstar satellite system, although it may also utilise the Thuraya satellite system, in addition to Globalstar.

As Spot LLC is a subsidiary company of Globalstar, it makes sense to me, that Spot would use the Globalstar satellite system, primarily.

Also, Thuraya owns only 2 satellites, Globalstar owns dozens of satellites.

Interesting review.  For my purposes the Spot Gen 3 is fine and the best value. I don't need 2 way communication & I have it set to track at 5 minute intervals so at 120 knots every 10 miles. I could upgrade to every 2 1/2 minutes but that costs an extra $US99.00 a year. 4WDers won't need anything less than every 10 minutes. If I have a forced landing I'll just hit the help button & wait. If I crash & survive I'll hit the SOS & emergency services will get the message. If I don't survive but the spot keeps transmitting it will send the crash location co-ordinates. If it is destroyed the last known location would be a maximum of 5 minutes flying time from where they can find the wreck.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1