Stamp Duty for Aircraft Sale

Is stamp duty payable on aircraft sales in Australia or any particular state? I'm not finding a reference to it anywhere. If not, I hope the Minister for Removing Money from our Pockets isn't reading the forum. I couldn't believe having to recently pay a DOT fee for the privilege of paying stamp duty on a road vehicle here in WA.

As always - it depends. On the situation, and on the State. The annoying part is that Stamp Duty was one of the taxes that was supposed to be abolished when the GST was brought in - but like so many of these petty taxes, it's still in place.

The following website is a start. It links to the individual States Revenue Depts or Treasuries.

https://www.business.gov.au/Finance/Taxation/Stamp-duty

AFAIK, Stamp Duty in W.A. does not apply to private aircraft. But it does apply, if an aircraft is part of a business purchase, as business purchases are Dutiable. Other States may have different taxing structures.

• Like 1

Yes Kiwi, get used to it. GST in NZ abolished all stamp duties, sales taxes, death duties etc overnight but there is an extra level of government here which means nothing ever happens overnight & every state & territory has different laws. The states greedily hang on to stamp duties especially on property & vehicle sales as it is a large part of their revenue while whingeing that they are not getting a big enough slice of the GST revenue.

Simple solution - get rid of the states & we become 1 big happy (or unhappy if you are a pollie with a vested interest) mob. It'll never happen though for the pollie reason indicated.

• Like 4

Interestingly, I left a "comment" note on the W.A. Dept of Finance website, saying they had no information on their site regarding aircraft sales - and I have since received this reply from a W.A. Dept of Finance, "Senior Revenue Officer" ....

"In regards to your enquiry on private aircraft, section 14 of the Duties Act 2008 (‘the Duties Act’) provides that a transaction involving a chattel (e.g aircraft) is not a dutiable transaction unless it is aggregated with another dutiable transaction, pursuant to section 37 of the Duties Act."

So that's it, literally from the horses mouth, as regards the Stamp Duty situation in W.A.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I left a "comment" note on the W.A. Dept of Finance website, saying they had no information on their site regarding aircraft sales - and I have since received this reply from a W.A. Dept of Finance, "Senior Revenue Officer" ....

So that's it, literally from the horses mouth, as regards the Stamp Duty situation in W.A.

Cheers Onetrack