Tail wheel manufacturer identification please?

Hi Gurus,

If a person could positively identify the manufacturer of the following tail wheel assembly that would be great.

Please disregard the tail wheel itself, that will not ident the assembly.

Reason, new grease cap is required, and I want to get a spare bushing too! Grease cap is 1.25 inch or 31.7mm

All exact answers gratefully received.

Please see attached photos.......

5D79341C-0C57-4966-B62D-B987681EB84C.thumb.jpeg.e2df8dc4f46f9ecf141f7ff2b305b43b.jpegF849D0F5-D79D-45FC-9401-E1F3F2F81743.thumb.jpeg.c0c3b5755bd4a23ae4d8ca686bf4c919.jpegCDD5EA75-268C-41E8-BBB0-1929660DB398.thumb.jpeg.721e2b61366d07888fd0b5aabbba9329.jpeg91CC7626-FFC4-4FBE-8BF3-754F16DB1CA0.thumb.jpeg.7dfcaec4ca8617526f59b235f4cf74b6.jpeg

I'll go for Maule. Brush a thin coat of paint stripper onto the aluminium tag, then wash it off with water, and see if the writing becomes visible on the tag.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maule-Tail-Wheel-Control-Arms-for-Swiveling-Tailwheel-/323733284313

Thanks onetrack, unfortunately I tried that but the tag disintegrated ?

I’m inclined to think it’s a maule type, however I haven’t seen a ‘fork’ type tw on all the websites I’ve been active in.

The lock/unlock mechanism looks like a Maule but the fork doesn’t. Is it a hybrid?

Trying to get to the bottom of it, I agree looks like early maule but the fork arghhhhh!

Hi Gurus,

If a person could positively identify the manufacturer of the following tail wheel assembly that would be great.

Please disregard the tail wheel itself, that will not ident the assembly.

Reason, new grease cap is required, and I want to get a spare bushing too! Grease cap is 1.25 inch or 31.7mm

All exact answers gratefully received.

Please see attached photos.......

[ATTACH type=full" alt="5D79341C-0C57-4966-B62D-B987681EB84C.jpeg]53671[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="F849D0F5-D79D-45FC-9401-E1F3F2F81743.jpeg]53672[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="CDD5EA75-268C-41E8-BBB0-1929660DB398.jpeg]53673[/ATTACH][ATTACH type=full" alt="91CC7626-FFC4-4FBE-8BF3-754F16DB1CA0.jpeg]53674[/ATTACH]

Take it down to Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation at Caloundra as it looks like the one I had on my old CA21 Skyfox. He has parts for the Skyfox's. I got all the refirb parts for Aircraft Spruce back when I did it. Cheers

• Like 1

Take it down to Rob Stowe at Coastal Aviation at Caloundra as it looks like the one I had on my old CA21 Skyfox. He has parts for the Skyfox's. I got all the refirb parts for Aircraft Spruce back when I did it. Cheers

Thank you kind sir, WILCO ?

Thank you kind sir, WILCO ?

Hi This is the tail wheel after I did the service, parts and repaint. Parts included the new wheel, oilite bearing, key, spring and the cover cap. Can't put my hand on the pulled apart images. Is this what yours looks like if so it is what is used on the Skyfox tail draggers. Cheers.

314614329_ReducedP1000257.thumb.JPG.916c3327ec8f5846840fd32d255306f0.JPG

Hi This is the tail wheel after I did the service, parts and repaint. Parts included the new wheel, oilite bearing, key, spring and the cover cap. Can't put my hand on the pulled apart images. Is this what yours looks like if so it is what is used on the Skyfox tail draggers. Cheers.

[ATTACH=full]53716[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the photo!

Visited Coastal, didn’t see Stowe, no help.

Have since sent photo to Maule direct, my tw assembly (not the wheel) appears to be a pre 1976 tw.

Cap is not available (I found a plastic temporary one atm) sizing now different.

The cap is presently the only requirement, as you say the locking bearing and pins etc are the same for mine.

The internal main bearing (when it gets worn) will be required to be made here in a lathe shop.

Aircraft Spruce show the breakdown of parts, and they also confirm no caps available.

I am currently talking with a mate who rebuilds old cars, 1.25 inch grease cups may be coming! ?✌

Thanks to every one for your assistance!

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo!

Visited Coastal, didn’t see Stowe, no help.

Have since sent photo to Maule direct, my tw assembly (not the wheel) appears to be a pre 1976 tw.

Cap is not available (I found a plastic temporary one atm) sizing now different.

The cap is presently the only requirement, as you say the locking bearing and pins etc are the same for mine.

The internal main bearing (when it gets worn) will be required to be made here in a lathe shop.

Aircraft Spruce show the breakdown of parts, and they also confirm no caps available.

I am currently talking with a mate who rebuilds old cars, 1.25 inch grease cups may be coming! ?✌

Thanks to every one for your assistance!

maybe 3D print a cap. Oilite material is a standard for bearings so any fitter will be able to make, try a mans shed with a metal lathe they would like making things that are used. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

Finally worked out the TW is basically a pre 1976 Maule type.

Caps not available any more but the ‘wings’ and ‘pin’ and it’s bearing are available.

The local metal shop lathed a new cap. Great job!

6F09B14D-1889-401F-BF72-9F424326B56C.thumb.jpeg.bead36a1f69ce93f9ebc344f6d769fa8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Howdy,

Finally worked out the TW is basically a pre 1976 Maule type.

Caps not available any more but the ‘wings’ and ‘pin’ and it’s bearing are available.

The local metal shop lathed a new cap. Great job!

Nice, Did you fit new bolt for the spring leaf to Fuse? Worth doing I believe. Cheers

Nice, Did you fit new bolt for the spring leaf to Fuse? Worth doing I believe. Cheers

No, but I had to put the bolt in from below as the cap (taller than original) must be placed in the freezer before knocking it in the TW. Nylocked and split pinned through the bolt.

Apologies, do you mean the bolts holding the spring leaf to the fuselage?

No, but I had to put the bolt in from below as the cap (taller than original) must be placed in the freezer before knocking it in the TW. Nylocked and split pinned through the bolt.

Apologies, do you mean the bolts holding the spring leaf to the fuselage?

Yes spring leaf to fuselage, can be a fatigue point.