Taking it to the limit

red750

It's the Great Planes Real Flight model aircraft simulator. Great fun.

Wayne.

Yes, it's not to say it's easy to do that because your judgement still has to be perfect, but you have the advantage of smashing the plane up hundreds of time and just hitting the reset button for a new plane, so you can build specific skills. I used to fly dogfights with a Russian (probably 13) every few nights. I flew a Mustang and would chase him just above gound level. He'd get away from by by flying through a barn which was too narrow for my wings and I eventually trained myself to get through the barn at 45 degrees. Some of the guys could fly with that accuracy against any object from trees to clothes lines.

Real Flight control response is a lot more realistic than Flight Sim because it's used as training for flying RC aircraft, but it's still not liike the real thing where there's no resent button.

Twenty years ago we started to notice a lot of (mostly) young fellas getting into 3D RC helicopter flying. Many were previously RC car drivers looking for a new thrill...they tried the model flight sims setup in hobby shops and practiced the extreme 3D routines without fear of losing money from a crash...just hit reset and go again! They soon became skilled at it ...no crashes ...so they then headed outdoors to try it for real and became hooked.... These pilots would never have taken up the hobby without the sim. The Real flight default aircraft can be cloned then you can alter the parameters to make the flight model very realistic with some experimenting.

Wayne

• Agree 1

I notice when collecting photos for the Showcase that some of the best images found on Google (or Brave) are actually from simulators (or RC models). They are often better than images of the actual aircraft.

I notice when collecting photos for the Showcase that some of the best images found on Google (or Brave) are actually from simulators (or RC models). They are often better than images of the actual aircraft.

Probably because they are not dealing with reality; I can fly an L39 "thousands" of feet into the air and bing it down at max speed a couple of metres above the airstrip because of the telescopic camera you can put in a corner of the screen (otherwise it would be a speck so small you'd just have to hit the reset button for a new one.), and the outside view cameras that give you such clean shots are placed at a theoretical datum from the arcraft that you choose, so you get action shots whereas with real aircraft you couldn't get close enough. The visual part when you are doing that is not real world, and even with RC models in the airstrip circuit you can have trouble seeing the aircraft as you fly towards the sun.