Taylor Monoplane

Guest DJH

Contemplating building one of these , I need some questions answered.

Where in Sydney , can I purchase the wood and hardware for the project ? Who inspects and signs off on my work ? I'm an RAA member ...do I need to join another organisation ? I hold a Pilot Certificate.

All advice on home building the Taylor would be welcomed.....John.

John,

There's a project for sale in WA at the moment. It's on the RAAus members market. You could get a real head start.

Cheers,

Dave

image.jpg.61d98e1cb9be652f9eb210ad9fede2bb.jpg

• Informative 1

There is a guy in Newcastle who has Spruce and other Aircraft wood. I got my Spruce for him for my Pietenpol build. You can get Austral Marine Ply anywhere.

Scotty

Great little plane, the Taylor.

But for an easier - and no less satisfying - route to a very similar concept, why not investigate the Mini-Max range?

I'm about to take delivery (driving to Sydney tomorrow) of a kit for one of these. My budget is under $15k.

They're also supported by one of the best builder forums on the web - have a browse here

I'm planning to fly mine off a farmers paddock, so minimal overheads. In my view, a really attainable way into flying a proper little aeroplane.

Good luck!

Bruce

• Like 1

Just a comment on the comparison of Minimax /Taylor mono. They are SO different in concept. The Taylor is quite clean and fast, and not for beginners. (Has a minimal rudder to start with). Probably needs a better strip to operate from. Nev

Have you built or flown a Taylor Monoplane ? I'd be interested to hear more about their performance and handling qualities.

I'm also wondering how wide the cockpit is and how much weight the aircraft will lift.

Nice clip for us Tayloraphiles.

However , not much build advice assistance forthcoming yet........maybe I'll just buy a used Jab.

Great little plane, the Taylor.But for an easier - and no less satisfying - route to a very similar concept, why not investigate the Mini-Max range?

I'm about to take delivery (driving to Sydney tomorrow) of a kit for one of these. My budget is under $15k.

They're also supported by one of the best builder forums on the web - have a browse here

I'm planning to fly mine off a farmers paddock, so minimal overheads. In my view, a really attainable way into flying a proper little aeroplane.

Good luck!

Bruce

Bruce

The Eros - are you putting a 503 or 582?

Regards

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, Mark - I haven't been on this forum for a while.

I'm using a 503. I bought it a having just had a top end overhaul after 110 hours. I still need an exhaust and ignition coil for it, so any replies welcomed.

I suppose a 582 would have to be my next choice. Or getting the 503 relifed properly. All gets down to $$$$

Whyfor your interest?

Bruce

• 4 years later...

Hi. In the early 1970's I built the Taylor Mono which (to my knowledge) is still flying around the city of Yass in New South Wales Australia. Since then I designed several aircraft that are flying in Australia. I am now in the process of redesigning the Taylor Mono in aluminium tubing because wood for aircraft is as scarce as hens teeth. I notice there are several questions about building the Taylor Mono that I would be happy to address. Unfortunately I never got to fly the Taylor Mono because I had to sell it when completed to raise funds for my daughters education.