The Aviation Acronym Song

Phil Perry

Posting that, is a bit cruel to some of us old geysers Phil.

I have a few procedures coming up and it looks like I need to add a new brain processor to the list as well.

I had an interesting conversation with a new student last week mate. . . He's up to seven hours now and loves the flying, but is terrified that he'll have to remember all of the codes ( acronyms ) in the training manual. . . Being a late starter, he's in his mid fifties, this is a really worry and he doubts if he'll be able to remember them all . .  I said not to worry, you won't Have to.

Obviously there are a few Acronyms that he'll need to be fully familiar with ie VNE and some other 'Vee' speed and 'Q' codes, but no one has to be able to quote the meanings of ALL of them.  ( Well maybe a few of them in exams. . .)

There are far too many in my view, in the technical age, there is no need at all to break down EVERY subject into code form,. . that was for back in the days of Morse code for a lot of them where it was much easier to send three letters to ask or report something.  We still ask for the QNH or the QFE in some cases, rather than a long blather on the radio asking 'what's the current local pressure altimeter setting for your airfield Sir ?'   I'm sure you can add to this list. . .  I guess that asking your first officer for the QRH when three large geese have just inconveniently taken out both the engines of your A320 at 2,800 feet above New York is OK too,. . saves valuable time ( ! ) and in that instance, 'APU'  ( item 15 on the list ) would be handy as well. . . [ Although, as it happened, not actually neccessary] ?

UPDATE. . .Matey mentioned in the above post has just passed his Air Law exam and only dropped one question.  Well done that man.

On the following day ( Sunday 3rd ) he also whistled through HPL ( Human Performance and Limitations) with 85%. . .and also 'Aircraft Technical' with just one question incorrect. He wants to buy a Flexwing Trike, 912 powered.  He says it's a compliment to his Motorcycling experience so he thought that a 'SKYBIKE' was a very good idea. . .  and His Wifey agrees.  

I suffer too much from the bloody cold nowadays, but wished him the best..  .

Young lad at our site has modified his Rans S6 582 2 stroke for both cabin and SEAT HEATING. .   ( I have no idea how he is powering that lot ! )   Such is life in our Northern planetary aspect. . 

I reckon the over-use of acronyms is the best proof ever that they ( the government ) are really out to get me dead.

They may have had some use back in the days of telegrams. Now their only use is to obfuscate.

Once I decided to actually read some official acronym stuff...  i said to myself " get a grip and just look up the bleeding glossary"

AND the second acronym wasn't in the glossary!

So I just guess the stuff they clearly don't want me to know. After all, it is clearly in their interest that I have a crash.

• Like 1