The Ross (Major) Millard Memorial Award

old man emu

As of 0820, 1/12/2015 there were 170 posts in the thread relating to the untimely passing of Ross Millard.

Clearly he was a man held in the highest regard by participants in the recreational sphere of aviation. His contributions to this sphere should not fade away as life moves on.

I'd like to suggest that members of this forum propose to RAAus that a suitable award be created in his memory, and presented annually to a person for worthy contributions to recreational flying.

Like very many, I only knew Ross through his written contributions in this forum, but there are many amongst us who knew his contributions through work and education. Therefore, I open the conversation to you to propose what the "worthy contribution to recreational flying" might be.

I also call upon any executive of RAAus who participates in this forum, to present the results of our discussions to the Board and to propose the establishment of the award under the sponsorship of the RAAus.

Old Man Emu

• Agree 15
  • Winner 1

Like Frank- I am loath to comment. Suffice to say support for this 'award' would not be necessarily a consensus. I would be extremely angry to discover that part of my RAAus subscription had been used to fund this. Perhaps all his supporters should fund this themselves.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Geez a few people on here need to pull their heads in. He's not even in the ground yet for petes sake. So you disagreed with some of the things he said? That's no excuse for this carry on. And spare me the my members fee garbage. Would the 5c it personally cost you really offend you? And for the record, adding a disclaimer like 'I won't comment' doesn't mean much if you say it as you're dancing on his grave. Maj was passionate about aviation. There are times when many of us disagreed with what he was saying or even what he stood for, but if you can't distinguish the difference between disagreeing with someone and decent human behaviour, you need to have a look in the mirror.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Winner 1

For Christ's sake you lot.

Gandalph - Where in my original post did I say anything about the circumstances of his death?

I'm sorry if I got the impression from the amount of grief implied in the very huge number of posts, that the man was held in high regard by very many people. I was only making a suggestion to reflect that high regard. From Frank and Docjell's posts, I gather that there must have been some enmity between them and Ross. That's their business. They seem to agree with the Bard: "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." Others here might hold opposite views.

Old Man Emu

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

A good suggestion OME and I will support it in due course. Perhaps waiting a few weeks is a good idea.

Of course, PM. Let's deal with the things that need to be dealt with immediately, and let the idea of a memorial brew for a while. By making this suggestion now, I just wanted to see who might back it, and to open up a discussion on what area of Ross' participation in aviation it should acknowledge. For me, it's the area of maintenance.

OME

• Helpful 1

Who mentioned the universe?

* Including, relating to, or affecting all members of the class or group under consideration; applicable in all cases: universal vaccination; universal suffrage. See Synonyms at general.

* Done, produced, or shared by all members of the class or group under consideration: a discovery that met with universal acclaim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Let's let it ride for a bit and just allow some more shots and experiences be aired. Don't think Ross tried to win popularity contests, but he was out there and doing it and worked hard for the RAAus. Right now we need more of that kind of activity, and anyone honestly applying themselves to that task gets my acclaim. I'm NOT a Life Member or honour roll type of guy but some record might be a good idea, and these days there are plenty of images around. Nev

• Agree 2

There are a significant number of people deserving of some recognition for their contribution to Australian aviation. Just because they did not die in sad circumstances does not elevate one person above the rest.

• Agree 2

I would support doing the complete job while the information is still available. Notable milestones in the AUF/ RAA A pocket History. No made up stuff. Fact is as good as fiction to read and has one big advantage. (It's TRUE). No one mentions Holbrook much these days. Nev

I did not agree with everything Ross said or did, but I respect him and consider him an all round good person. Let us just live with the disagreements we have with people and let them follow their own path. I doubt that anyone here could point out anything bad about Ross, but if they can they would be better off keeping quiet.

• Agree 2

A few months back a family member of someone killed wrote on this forum about the effects that social media has on the surviving family members and friends. I reckon some on here should find it and have another read.

• Agree 5
  • Winner 2

A few months back a family member of someone killed wrote on this forum about the effects that social media has on the surviving family members and friends. I reckon some on here should find it and have another read.

There wouldn't be dancing if there was no music.

Absolutely not in this case, but I have seen times previously where the glorification of people can be just as offensive as diminishing someone, so maybe everyone could just have a little patience until clarity comes after this emotive period.

"Too soon".

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

No matter what you thought of his ideas, actions, etc, the man has passed on. He is not here to defend his actions, accept praise for his history or answer his critics. Love him or loath him, he did contribute to this forum and the movement in general. This is not about your problems or actions people, this is about Ross Millard. The memorial can be debated on another forum topic. Rest in Peace Ross. My condolences to his family.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

There are so many people in our industry that deserve awards, in fact every recreational aviator deserves an award for realising the so many joys of recreational aviation and through them and every flight that they take they are helping to move our industry forward. From every fatality, from every accident, from every incident another life is so often saved from what we learn, from every post here, in one overall repository of sharing our flying experiences, others may also learn...we are a community helping each other and thus we all deserve an award when we do.

Lets wait a while and perhaps we have an award here at Recreational Flying of some kind dedicated to all those that have given the ultimate sacrifice so others can continue experiencing the greater joys of recreational aviation

• Agree 12

dedicated to all those that have given the ultimate sacrifice so others can continue experiencing the greater joys of recreational aviation

I don't agree with you, Ian.

I don't want to remember Ross as "that bloke who killed himself by making a mistake"

I want him remembered as "that bloke who did so much to advance recreational flying"

Having read the posts which were not relevant to my original suggestion of a memorial award, and those that spoke ill of the dead, I have made the decision to request that this thread, initiated by me, be deleted from the site. I'm sickened by what has been posted in it.

Mark Adams

Old Man Emu

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We all learn from the experiences of others and it is unfortunate that when there is a tragedy some things get done that can enable those that continue to fly may potentially do so with some elements of extra safety...this is the heart of aviation and we see it every day especially in commercial aviation more so than many other industries. After investigations things get changed for everyone. So yes, some have died to allow others to fly on and not experience the same tragedy

I don't agree with you, Ian.I don't want to remember Ross as "that bloke who killed himself by making a mistake"

I want him remembered as "that bloke who did so much to advance recreational flying"

Having read the posts which were not relevant to my original suggestion of a memorial award, and those that spoke ill of the dead, I have made the decision to request that this thread, initiated by me, be deleted

from the site. I'm sickened by what has been posted in it.

Mark Adams

Old Man Emu

Hear hear ....