Throttle Creep

raizo

Hi all,is anyone else experiencing throttle creep on their Rotax 912 ,I have the friction nut wound up very tight but still get creep,it seems to be a fairly common problem going by the Vans forums.

I have ordered a set of throttle return springs with less tension than the Rotax ones from Aircraft Spruce,they should arrive next few weeks, Hopefully that will ease the problem

Cheers Raizo

Your friction nut should be making you throttle lever harder to pull/push. Is this the case?

I tighten mine about once per year when engine revs slowly start to increase in flight.

I barely need to move the nut and the creep stops.

I should say it's not an RV12 and it is a t-bar type throttle, not panel mounted.

Vans also have the weaker springs available (Van’s PN SPRING-00002 (McFarlane PN 6822)). They are intended for Macfarlane's vernier-assist throttle that is now standard issue for the RV-kits. Many builders have replaced the original Rotax springs with the weaker ones. I'm not sure which springs you ordered from ACS, but I assume you are aware of the issues with premature breakage of earlier McFarlanes/Vans springs that have only recently been fixed with the latest springs noted above.

rgmwa

Thanks rgmwa,the quote I god from Rod at Aircrfat spruce Australia (sky shop)lists the part number 6696 which if you check the McFarlane web site this number has been superseded by the 6822 number

Raizo

I used lighter springs and it still creeps a little so I loosen the friction to adjust throttle and then loosen it when I want to adjust it sounds fiddly but soon becomes second nature have considered fitting vernier throttle but it is pretty dear

It's always a pain with that throttle set up but the carbs are designed to fail in the open position. Sometimes one carb will be more open than the other so check it 's adjustment. It can be the stop or the cable as the cause. Nev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! new throttle spring arrived from Vans today,there is a great deal of tension difference between the new and the original Rotax ones,happy to report that after a 45min flight ,happy to report no throttle creep at all,also it has made the throttle so much lighter as not as much friction nut is needed.also have attached the alternate fuel tank we made

Cheers Raizoimage.jpg.de510dd576e511e030049f2d607921ef.jpg