Thruster Owners Support Group

Admin

• 10 months later...

Hi ,my name Ian Lawrence and I may have to transport a Thruster (built in 1987) and as I will have no place to land will have to transport it by trailer,so my question is how easy is it to remove the wings off the aircraft,hoping someone can help many thanks Ian L

• 3 weeks later...

HELLO IAN TO REMOVE THE WINGS IS A TWO PERSON JOB OR SOME THING AT THE RIGHT HEIGHT TO SUPPORT THE WING AS YOU SET IT UP ON A NO WIND DAY DONE IT A FEW TIMES BIT OF A HASSLE BETTER WITH TWO PEOPLE AS BRACES AND OTHER THINGS NEED DOING THE WING NEEDS TO BE MOVED UP OR DOWN TO INSERT NUTS AN BOLTS DIFFICULT ON YOUR OWN REGARDS KERMIT

• Like 1

Kermit, no need to shout (all capitals) we hear you just fine. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

ohhhh all this time i have sent emails upper case and lower as and when the computers caps lock is on or off .... but i see it as looking better...... an that's classed as shouting wow.... so its another way of being rude i wonder who thought that one up i always thought '''''*-----***** etc was being rude ARHHH BUGGAR i don't think i wish to conform so i thank you cobber for the info but if i change now my friends will want to know whats wrong with me 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif regards kermit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I have all the files and have been paying for the domain name which has just come up for renewal. Recently we moved servers and the site was dropped so I am willing to reinitialise the site on the new server if someone wants to look after it as I am not a Thruster pilot

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Yenn, if you are referring to Tony Hayes, I think you are doing him a serious disservice.. Such sites(groups) are what we need more of if the knowledge base is to be preserved and improved..  and people don't have to start from scratch (guesswork) all the time. Nev

Yes I was and I only speak as I find. Tony didn't impress me and had some funny ideas. He reckoned you couldn't 3 point the Thruster, something I have done hundreds of times, in fact I only tried to fly it on once and decided it was dangerous. You are right, we do need sites like that.

I had no idea of what he would be like. I imagined him as youngish bloke with a lot of enthusiasm and not a lot else.. In actual fact he was much older and vastly experienced in many things which more than  qualified him to sort out the landing characteristics of the Thruster which he had a passion for. 

I don't profess to be able to explain it perfectly but Its  rigging/geometry made a conventional 3 point somewhat difficult  in some circumstances so he was increasing the wings riggers AoA to make sure it stalled at a better time in the flare. Often the full back stick did not get the tail down enough before the wing stopped providing lift. Plenty of people flew them on tail high but I for one, found that a little touchy especially if the grass was unmowed or the surface undulating. I'm inclined to like to 3 point from wayback as that's the way I started at a smallish landing field. 

WE communicated a lot on many things and I miss him greatly . Nev

• Like 2

I remember reading about Tony wanting to change the angle of incidence on the Thruster and thinking why would anyone want that. The plane cruises with neutral elevator and can easily be three pointed although it is more difficult at max wieght to do this smoothly, I don't see how reducing the angle of incidence would help this. 

• Like 1

I only knew Tony via email as I distributed his TOSG bulletins in the UK. I'd say he knew a lot and his opinions deserved attention, whether or not you agreed with any or all of them.  I'd certainly be happy to see the TOSG pages back up.

If I recall correctly, one of Tony's reasons for preferring wheeler landings was that three-point landings hammered the tail structure when in the training role with student attemps at landing several times per hour.  I preferred the other way around because when the student has tailwheel landings under reasonable control it became possible to convert a bounced wheeler into a three-pointer - it doesn't work the other way around.   Now I'm retired from instructing on nosewheel Thruster T600, I enjoy three-point landings in my old share-o-plane Thruster TST (UK answer to the Gemini, I believe).

Tony kindly let me copy his series of essays on landing microlight taildraggers on my old web site - part 8 of which covers his theory on choosing three-point or mainwheel landings.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...

I’m glad to find chats that are not last century. Any Thrusters out there for sale.

Hi flynow, there was one at forbes nsw recently but I think I sold. They are very good value if you just want to have fun.

• 2 years later...
On 19/01/2020 at 2:30 PM, Yenn said:

Yes I was and I only speak as I find. Tony didn't impress me and had some funny ideas. He reckoned you couldn't 3 point the Thruster, something I have done hundreds of times, in fact I only tried to fly it on once and decided it was dangerous. You are right, we do need sites like that.

Tony never said you couldn't 3 point a Thruster he said it was easier to wheel on

I had extensive on line communication with Tony Hayes and found him very worth listening to, His knowledge across many  aspects of aviation was extensive. TOSG is sorely missed. Nev

• Like 1

We have a group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1611498805859763/?ref=share

Thruster flyers group down under. Anyone can look or join, ask questions or post content. I really like recreational flying any questions about Thrusters can answered here as well.  

• Like 2