Tony Hayes

Admin

I regretfully advise everyone that Tony Hayes (TOSGcentral) passed away today at 4pm.

Tony slipped deeper and deeper into a coma over the weekend and didn't come out of it however, Tony got his last wishes which was to spend his last days at home with his wife Kay and sister Penny.

Tony, I wish you so much the greatest of flights that you have ever had.

Hi my name is Sue and Tony is my brother. Thank you all for your very kind comments,

sadly because I live in Turkey, I could not be with him in his final days. I will miss him so very much as he was not only my big brother but also my hero.

I would also like to thank you all for the award, I know he would have over the moon and I was very proud for him that everyone thought enough of him to make it possible.

Tony Hayes.

That is indeed very sad news. Tony and I had many "inputs" on this forum on matters concerning flying techniques etc, but I was privileged to have had a lot of personal communications as well. This was a man of great personal integrity who would get right into the relationship between pilot and aeroplane. When he did any job it was done thoroughly.

The thruster types will ever be indebted to him, but there was a lot more to him than that. He brought a wealth of experience to this forum from a background that would be hard to equal in any normal lifetime, all of it involving the "hands on" side of things, flying wise. He was very analytical, always looking for the less obvious but correct answer. While it is a good thing generally that the acknowledgement in the last RAAus magazine was made, it was never the sort of thing that he sought.

He was a "PEOPLE" person too, sometimes caring too much for his own good. I felt that I could trust him with things that I would not expect others to understand, and he did confide with me too, for which I thank him. We covered a bit of ground together, and I guess that is what it is about, but I wish it had gone along for longer.

My condolences to those who were close to him, it's hard when the significant people go and a friend as well. As he would say:- Aye , Nev.

Guest Brett Campany

It's so sad to lose one of our own. A passionate and dedicated aviator with so much experience to pass on.

You'll be missed mate.

My thoughts and condolences to family and friends.

Forever in the clouds......

May he have tailwinds and clear skies from now on. I never met Tony, but I felt I knew him from my times flying a Thruster. He was never afraid to give an opinion and usually correct.

this is indeed avery sad day, not only for Kay, Sue, and Penny but for ultralight aviation as well.we have all heard the saying that everybody can be replaced well sadly in this case that is not true Tony can not be replaced nor can his experience and knowledge, he freely gave expert advice to anyone who asked and took nothing in return, nothing was to much trouble.I could site hundreds of occasions where Tony has helped someone with a problem. Kay ,Sue, and Penny have lost a much loved and valued husband and brother, aviation has lost his knowledge and his wealth of experience, and i have lost a bloody good mate, cheers Tony and may you rest in peace. Steve Meddings.

Although expected, I'm truly saddened by the confirmation of Tony's demise. We spent a good many hours on the phone and internet during (and since) my Thruster restoration and I feel derelict in that only once in seven years did I make the occasion to share a noggin with he and Kay in their home in Toogoolawah. Tony was without peer in his knowledge and ability to 'put things right' in the Thruster spectrum and, tho always uncompromising, was a willing source of advice and assistance to anyone in need. He will be irreplaceable, he will be missed, but more than anything, he will be remembered. Fair skies and brisk tailwinds old son. Kay, our thoughts are with you.

I was Northern Editor of the Thruster Bulletin, that was started by Tony, and we often spoke by 'Skype' phone when the need arose, or I just wanted to have a chat.

Incredibly Tony was still working on the magazine a few weeks ago, not far short his operation, in fact. I first became aware that something was wrong when, while talking to Kay, she told me that Tony couldn't remember things now and had fallen over a few times.

The speed of disease is frightening, and although Tony was given up to 9 months, he only lasted weeks. Knowing that Tony didn't suffer is a blessing, but we have lost a giant in the microlight and gliding communities, and although we never met face to face, I felt that he was my Mate, and I will miss him...........RIP Tony

Aye Ted

To everyone wanting to know about the funeral arrangements I would like to advise that the funeral was this morning and was a very private affair.

It was Tony's wish that his ashes be scattered from an aircraft over his favorite Gliding Ridge (the Mount Brisbane Range, just east of Watts Bridge Airfield).

That event will probably occur in the next week or so, but again, at Tony's request, it will be a private occasion.

• 9 years later...

Hi everyone I know nothing about planes but tony was my uncle and my Aunty Kaye has just passed away and I am wondering if anyone has any pics of my uncle at all trying to do a photo album to show my kids when they are older 

thanks 

megs