T'was a foggy day at Oshkosh

Guest ozzie

At least for one F16 pilot. I was there and i saw it sail right off the end of the runway. It was hot and humid but i saw no fog.

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Reports/2012/February%202012/Day22/022112_ACC_%20F-16C_AIB.pdf

This is the link to the official USAF final accident report. Long but very detailed interesting read.

Ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

20 pages of report to write off 5.4 million worth of aircraft repairs, and to conclude the pilot landed too fast, and didn't brake adequetly, on a very long runway....Why didn't he just go balls to the wall and go around ?....screw the fog, he had plenty of instruments didn't he.................great stuff !!.................................012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The whole thing came across to me as the classic swiss cheese example of how a number of small mistakes and changes to conditions all compound to form an accident.

A lower than expected cloud base, the lead aircraft overshooting finals not once but twice. The wrong decision for landing configeration and the way to late to go around All made for a tight rollout. The real clintcher though was the almost instant build up of the fog and the failure of the system to clear it. Dammed if i know how one could be in that situation and have the thought to cycle the environment do hicky. Lost HUD and only reference was out the side with vertigo banging on the visor. I'm surprised he stayed on the runway and manged going off in a straight line. Eject a panic reaction? Would have looked fantastic from where i was standing. There was one other consideration remaining fuel. With one botched approach there was not enough left for another safe go around. Seems these days when Uncle Sam lets you borrow the toys you only get just enough fuel for the trip. So what seemed a simple oops, had a very technical issue as the main instigator. And it was the first of two military jet aircraft to over run that day.

Guest Maj Millard

Mmmmm....some of the worst humid conditions I've experienced were at Oskosh....and I live in North Qld !..I don't suppose he could have opened a window either..........................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Guest pookemon
Mmmmm....some of the worst humid conditions I've experienced were at Oskosh....and I live in North Qld !..I don't suppose he could have opened a window either..........................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Sure he could have - there's big black and yellow handles to do it with...

You are right there Major, Lived in north Queensland for ten years and never experienced humidity like at last years osh. Slowed me right up. Sea plane base afternoon siesta was a must.

Guest Maj Millard

Great shot for sure, particularly like the dirt-colored smoke out of the jet pipe ......oops !.....................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

At least for one F16 pilot. I was there and i saw it sail right off the end of the runway. It was hot and humid but i saw no fog.

It was "ECS fog", as per the report. ECS = Environmental Control System = Air Con

Seen this a few times on various aircraft which have ECS outlets blowing onto the windshield, on hot humid days.