ultralight brakes

I d love to hear any experiences of brake conversions and retro fits for ultralights.

Black max is an option and I ve seen Avid and schimano hydraulic bicycle disc brakes and the like.

Cheers,

John

I used cable operated disc brakes of mountain bike heritage for my 95.10 Hummel Ultracruiser. Work just fine - no problem holding the aircraft on engine run up. Much better than the drum brakes originally installed.

• Like 1

I have a set of BlackMax brakes on my Drifter. Absolutely love them, they are available at a reasonable price from AircraftSpruce in the US.

hey Bluey, I'm considering the Black Max brakes due to the rather short length of my home runway (have you seen the approach videos on YouTube yet?)did you ever get to the point where if you were braking very hard that the tail would come off the ground? and what sort of stopping distance would you be looking at for a lightly loaded WB582?

cheers

BP

Bicycle shops stock loads of high quality lightweight stuff suitable for little planes. I've had good service from the cable-operated disks I got off a pocket bike. After ten years there's no noticeable wear on pads. The disks are off BMX bikes and weigh a poofteenth.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

At that point where while cleaning up old drum brakes one gets to pondering is it worthwhile changing to discs, seen a few rotor and disc set ups on pit bikes and mountain bikes but offsetting the rotor from the rim will require a set of these three prong ally offsets, but where can they be obtained.

Any ideas thanks

IMG_0705.JPG.e65f5bcd8e0c2f4e2097f894ae642782.JPG

IMG_0706.thumb.JPG.5ffc93f42dd633bf900ed67a4f932004.JPG

I used mountain bike disks and cable operated pads on my Hummel UC. I found some adapters on Aliexpress that carried the discs on nylon Asuza wheels.  I will try an post some pics when I get the opportunity to get some shots. Nave a look at:. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kerry-bike-mountain-bike-disc-tray-mount-Pitch-48MM-brake/2029515361.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTnUWrI

• Like 1

Nice as they are you are probably overloading them in the aircraft application and I wouldn't be surprised if they would fail when used hard. On a bike the back wheel skids easily and you never lock the front one. The offset is quite large so you get large forces. A failure could make the wheel jamb. Discs are the best I reckon   but are larger in Diameter so sometimes a flat tyre will make them contact the runway surface where it would be better if the rim did. Nev

You can only obtain those ally standoffs from Belite Aircraft, as Belite get them custom-made locally.

http://jameswiebe.blogspot.com/2010/07/wichita-machinists-disc-brakes-and-part.html

Thanks Onetrack, I have seen 3 prong offsets around well before Belite made those I posted, that's where I scored the pics, thought maybe something local was available or maybe off a quad or something, my mechanic races gocarts and said the pattern was the same off old carts from the 60's, Onetrack you wouldn't happen to know the centre to centre of the Belite offsets by any chance, my centres are 3 1/4

cheers

I used mountain bike disks and cable operated pads on my Hummel UC. I found some adapters on Aliexpress that carried the discs on nylon Asuza wheels.  I will try an post some pics when I get the opportunity to get some shots. Nave a look at:. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kerry-bike-mountain-bike-disc-tray-mount-Pitch-48MM-brake/2029515361.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dTnUWrI

Thanks for the info Jim, just wondering how those pics are coming and can you tell me about your cable setup, have been chatting with a buddy that built a peddle power trike for an endurance race and by chance he used avid rotors and the same discs used by Belite, went and had Look at the set up and oh so professional, he has offered to turn up some hubs for me, but  the one thing I didn't like was the cable set up as one cable pulls from the back the other from the front, I would like both pulling from the back, what way are yours working and how did you run your cables Jim thanks