VFRG now free to download

Jase T

VFRG has been a free download for years. The same applies for most of the AIP documents like VNC & VTC charts, ERSA etc available from the Airservices website. WAC charts though still have to be purchased. Of course you always get the latest charts with Navigation software products.

I don't know if CASA still does RAMP checks as it is so easy to make sure you have all the appropriates documentation now on your phone or tablet. I always carry a VNC map with me and replace it when it starts to fall apart & by then it is a long way out of date & usually only 99.9% correct but have the current version electronically.

• Like 2

VFRG has been a free download for years. The same applies for most of the AIP documents like VNC & VTC charts, ERSA etc available from the Airservices website. WAC charts though still have to be purchased. Of course you always get the latest charts with Navigation software products.

I don't know if CASA still does RAMP checks as it is so easy to make sure you have all the appropriates documentation now on your phone or tablet. I always carry a VNC map with me and replace it when it starts to fall apart & by then it is a long way out of date & usually only 99.9% correct but have the current version electronically.

No it's been free to view on line since it's inception. But it was not available for downloading or use offline unless you purchased the paper copy from CASA. The free download was released this week. And yes they still ramp check.

I have read VFR guides for many years but this one really covers everything. I am sure that somewhere in the 400 plus pages there is something to tell you when to wipe your nose.

It appears at first glance to be a re write of the regs. added to all the old stuff. I will find time to get through it I hope. I just looked at an old version 1977 and it was pretty good and only 262 pages.

• Like 1

Well I've downloaded it since the version dated 4 May 2010.

That's rather bizarre wonder what I have been doing wrong? I have never been able to find a way to download it (especially as a PDF). It has always been a bugbear of mine. I spoke to CASA about it by e-mail last year and they informed me they were keeping it as online only as they needed to "make sure everyone was using the most up to date version" and did not intend to publish it as a PDF. If you frequent the PPRuNe site there was quite a discussion over there about it last year, or was it 2018???? CASA even got in on it (there were suggestions that it was some sort of cost recovery reasoning behind keeping it on line only in that if you wanted a portable copy you had to pay for it, but it's PPRuNe and that sort of stuff shows up all the time). I was of the belief the PDF version was only released a few months ago and it is now up to the user to make sure they are using the current version. Anyway I am just glad its available that way.

I I just looked at an old version 1977 and it was pretty good and only 262 pages.

And it came in an awesome little orange folder with the "Department of Civil Aviation" flag embossed on it!!!

• Like 1

That's rather bizarre wonder what I have been doing wrong? I have never been able to find a way to download it (especially as a PDF). It has always been a bugbear of mine. I spoke to CASA about it by e-mail last year and they informed me they were keeping it as online only as they needed to "make sure everyone was using the most up to date version" and did not intend to publish it as a PDF. If you frequent the PPRuNe site there was quite a discussion over there about it last year, or was it 2018???? CASA even got in on it (there were suggestions that it was some sort of cost recovery reasoning behind keeping it on line only in that if you wanted a portable copy you had to pay for it, but it's PPRuNe and that sort of stuff shows up all the time). I was of the belief the PDF version was only released a few months ago and it is now up to the user to make sure they are using the current version. Anyway I am just glad its available that way.

I opened the document and then just went to save as and saved it as a pdf file. Even in the document itself it states details are correct as at the date it is uploaded to the internet and at the end on page 466 it says "To download updates to this guide go to www.casa.gov.au. Here is the first one I down loaded. Nope would not upload as it is 12.5mb so too big. The new version is still 466 pages but a slightly bigger file at 12.7mb.

Edited by kgwilson

• 2 months later...