VH Registration

Guest soul88

Guest soul88

This topichas probably been done, but i was wondering what isinvolved in registering my home built vh? i just started a 601xl and am struggling to find clear information i need.

cheers

john

Guest micgrace

Hi John

You'll need to contact the SAAA and probably join it if pursuing VH rego. They have their own inspectors and procedures for this.

I believe the procedure is a bit different now with experimental. But a full logbook with photos of you building along with receipts of all materials for starters will help immensly.

A series of stage inspections was used, but now seems to be a preclosure inspection, a final inspection and sign off for flight test area and time.

I believe your 601xl may be able to RAAus registered. This is much simpler than VH rego with many advantages, especially if you use appropriate engine/avionics and possess a PPL with appropriate ratings. There are limits to this though.

Hope that helps somewhat Micgrace :)

Guest soul88

hey micgrace

thanks for the information. i am current ppl and about to go private ifr. i also want it ifr registered which i forgot to mention in previous post. not sure if RAAus covers that area. pretty new to light stuff been flying ga planes only since my ppl few years ago.

thanks for your quick response.

cheers

john

i have been tossing up to register in VH or RAA, but holding a PPL with Night VFR it will most likly be VH, but from what i can gather at the moment, to fly it NVFR or IFR you might need certified instruments, which then increases the cost significantly... which then makes RAA a more attrractive option

but if you wish to fly IFR, then RAA rego is not possible. though with a transponder RAA aircraft can be flown into CTA if you hold a PPL.

the option i will most likely take is RAA rego, and hire an aircraft if i need to go anywhere at night

Guest Fred Bear

Registering GA is easier than RA-Aus, but probably now more expensive.

You will need:

- GA Registration(used to be only $25 - not sure how much now)

- Join the SAAA ($165)

- Build your aircraft

- Keep a logbook and photos (no stage inspections are required)

- Fit rego stickers and data plates

- Fit Experimental stickers inside out

- Fit passenger warning placquards

- Get a noise certificate from air services (free)

- Pay around $500 to the SAAA for the technical guy to inspect your aircraft

- Go flying

- Fly off your test period (25 hrs for certified engine, 40 for a non-certified)

To fly at night you will need a TSO'ed Radio and VOR or ADF or GPS (must be TSO'ed). You DO NOT need TSO'ed instruments, such as AH, DG & Turn and you don't need split sources, thus all electric gyros or perhaps fit a Dynon EFIS and you've got it covered. Many NVFR guys fit a TSO'ed radio and transponder (if required) and an old KR86 ADF to keep it legal. Also, strobe, nav lights, white facing rear (no red beacon required on Experimental), instrument lights on dual sources, landing light, passenger compartment lights, map light, torch etc... I've probably missed something in there somewhere.

You can go full IFR with TSO'ed flight instruments as well.

I hope that helps!