Vote on Whats New Page

Admin

What layout do you want for the Whats New Page  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What layout do you want for the Whats New Page

• The way it is now with everything combined in one block
    • Everything but each section in their own boxes

There are 2 ways we can provide you with the Whats New (Unread) Page and I would like you to vote on which one you would prefer so as to give me direction on the page.

1. The way it is now with ALL new items that you haven't read/seen in a list. This includes not only forum posts but also new aircraft entries, new tutorials, new videos, images, articles etc...or

2. The list to just contain new forum posts/threads in the one box plus new entries for each section in other blocks...blocks like the home page has

The thing is there may be something in the other sections of the site that are of interest so the Whats New (Unread) page needs to reflect everything that is new to meet everyone's interest so it is about the layout that you prefer so please vote

I agree with pmC.

No problem with ads next to the Forum, but currently the content is being pushed off the screen.

Can you give me a screen shot so I can see what you mean as it is displayed ok for me

That screenshot is ok, I can't see content being pushed off the screen

It's virtually all been pushed off; only 1 item left

What I'm seeing is:

Ad

Mapmarker

Tutorial

Testing a camera

Photo

Forum - Oldest member

Photo

What do you mean all pushed off and only 1 item left????????

This is what I see and it is correct and is not really different from what you see:

[ATTACH]41034[/ATTACH]

I think Turbo is referring to Forum Posts - lost in the myriad of spurious content from - tutorials, map pins, vids etc...  He's a candidate for Option 2, but more likely wants What's New - Forum Posts only.  I understand where he is coming from. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh, well as pointed out many times he can create his very own Whats New page just showing forum posts and nothing else however when a person does this they will miss out on any new and great things that may be added to existing sections of the site.:

I agree with FlyingVisla about stuff being hidden amongst multiple entries in the one thread. Every time Red posts a new aircraft there's a separate entry, whereas, if anyone is following him, just an indication of a new entry to that thread would suffice.

I won't say "spurious" because one man's meat is another man's poison. 

I'm happy with the look and layout, but there's a couple of items I would like to drop out of the listing. I can't for the life of me work out how to do it, I normally don't have a problem with this sort of thing, and I know you mentioned it before, but I cannot locate the post. If it's on my profile page opened by clicking the avatar, I can't find it.

I do not need to see each time someone posts a map marker, and on What's Up I don't need to see when someone starts following a topic. Other than that, I'm OK.

I have changed the Whats New page to a block layout now keeping each section of the site in their own blocks...still a little work to do on it but you will get the idea when you see it

• Like 1

Sorry guys but I shouldn't have created this poll as whilst I was trying to find out what you wanted so I could give it to you, I didn't realise that Option 2 in the poll would not make the site sustainable. Users would not know about the conversations and posts in 80% of the site i.e. the actual conversations and posts made in all the other sections of the site as these can not be listed in their own blocks, only in the one main block. So to have all discussions and new posts listed we also have to have new items in there as well, just like we have new forum threads in there. Consider each new item in say the Aircraft section, the Tutorials section etc are like new forum threads, a new thread is shown and then any new posts are shown in Whats New...if that makes sense

I have had to change it back to the Whats New having everything listed and I don't know of an alternative other than those few people and as mentioned before, create their own Whats New page as previously explained...but then by only showing the forums threads and posts would miss out on all the other discussions and posts made over the other 80% of the site

Sorry guys but I shouldn't have created this poll as whilst I was trying to find out what you wanted so I could give it to you, I didn't realise that Option 2 in the poll would not make the site sustainable. Users would not know about the conversations and posts in 80% of the site i.e. the actual conversations and posts made in all the other sections of the site as these can not be listed in their own blocks, only in the one main block. So to have all discussions and new posts listed we also have to have new items in there as well, just like we have new forum threads in there. Consider each new item in say the Aircraft section, the Tutorials section etc are like new forum threads, a new thread is shown and then any new posts are shown in Whats New...if that makes sense

I have had to change it back to the Whats New having everything listed and I don't know of an alternative other than those few people and as mentioned before, create their own Whats New page as previously explained...but then by only showing the forums threads and posts would miss out on all the other discussions and posts made over the other 80% of the site

OK, that's not a problem.

Could you please post a How To create a custom What's New page please? I know you've mentioned posting it in the past, but I scrolled through and found a how to, but it must have been for one of the interim versions because it referred to items on a page which were not there.

With a custom What's New, it's possible to have uninterrupted conversations, and then go back to the main indexes and scoll to see what's interesting and new.