Well done CASA!

NT5224

So in the throws of the COVID crisis I had to get something done at CASA. I dispatched a wedge of supporting documentation last week expecting the fact that Canberra is shut down to delay the process indefinitely. I didn’t even get the usual email received receipt.

So I thought I’d just give them a call to see if they even received my package or if there was even anybody at the office. I’d heard they’d all been working from home. My expectations were not high.

So my call was just now transferred through to a delightful person working from home who immediately informs me the date and time that my documentation had been received and that it had already been processed and physically mailed back to me. In 2 days over the Easter Long weekend, with everybody working from home! It’s quite incredible.

She then went on to confer with other departments on my behalf to answer some other unrelated questions, and came back to me with clear answers, despite the fact they are all working from home.

Again, I’m impressed!

Alan

• Like 9

My issue of UK Flyer Mag arrived yesterday.. In the Pilot Notes section, talking about the CAA approach to extensions of medicals, ratings, etc, AOPA UK commented on how the CAA should take a leaf from CASA's book.. Credit where it is due I suppose.. Maybe a note to them to make them feel good about it and continue the good work?

• Agree 1

So in the throws of the COVID crisis I had to get something done at CASA. I dispatched a wedge of supporting documentation last week expecting the fact that Canberra is shut down to delay the process indefinitely. I didn’t even get the usual email received receipt.

So I thought I’d just give them a call to see if they even received my package or if there was even anybody at the office. I’d heard they’d all been working from home. My expectations were not high.

So my call was just now transferred through to a delightful person working from home who immediately informs me the date and time that my documentation had been received and that it had already been processed and physically mailed back to me. In 2 days over the Easter Long weekend, with everybody working from home! It’s quite incredible.

She then went on to confer with other departments on my behalf to answer some other unrelated questions, and came back to me with clear answers, despite the fact they are all working from home.

Again, I’m impressed!

Alan

That's it then. Keep them all at home. There they can't stuff around chatting by the coffee machine and colluding on how they can stretch out the day by doing very little and complain they are overworked so they need more staff or overtime.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I have always found them good to deal with and very pleasant. My grouse with CASA is that the top is too heavy. Far too many chiefs who are airy fairy and too few Indians who can make it happen. But that is the story of bureaucracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

While I complain about bureaucracy with the best of them, I really think that at an individual level, they are generally just ordinary blokes. That is why I don't feel threatened by reports that they may come here to follow our conversations.

If I were much younger and in the job market and a CASA job came up, I can imagine myself going for it. Coffee and aeroplane chat all day, and get paid too, plus all the perks.

• Agree 1

Yes Bruce I can agree with you. Those I have talked to at training sessions are very keen on safety and very knowledgable, plus they are very willing to listen the views of others. One of those who used to be looking after RAAus was a very sensible bloke who could make an assessment of what you were doing and act accordingly, not just by the rule book.

All very well, but the rule book and the varying interpretations are one of the larger problems. Has been a for a long while now. Aeroplane chat all day? Come on Bruce . CASA's not full of pilots. Nev

Those at the coal face e.g seminar presenters, I have found most most amiable and with excellent knowledge around issues & if they have been unable to answer a question have always got back later with a response. It's the bureaucracy that they also face that is the problem.

• Like 1