Wellcamp

Yenn

It doesn't affect me but I see that the information about Brisbane West Wellcamp is on the CASA website. For those who don't know Wellcamp is a commercial airport being built West of Toowoomba and South of Oakey.

CASA is studying the situation at the momennt, but I can see a large number of ALA's could be badly affected and more restrictions place on West of Brisbane flying areas.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 2

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone see 7 new last night..showing the Wagner's super kingair landing at wellcamp in the very strong crosswind? It had to be 20 odd degrees of drift angle on short final. Pilot did an excellent job.

They arrived to anounce that Qantas will be flying between Wellcamp and Sydney starting from Nov 17. Supposed to be able to book seats from yesterday....I tried online...but Qantas web site does not yet know Toowoomba is on the list of routes!!

Did anyone see 7 new last night..showing the Wagner's super kingair landing at wellcamp in the very strong crosswind? It had to be 20 odd degrees of drift angle on short final. Pilot did an excellent job.They arrived to anounce that Qantas will be flying between Wellcamp and Sydney starting from Nov 17. Supposed to be able to book seats from yesterday....I tried online...but Qantas web site does not yet know Toowoomba is on the list of routes!!

I flew home from Miles to Brisbane yesterday (-8) and yep it was very windy.

• Informative 1

I wonder how viable it is though, the terminal doesn't look large enough to host a decent sized plane let alone one flying overseas.

The airport is a $30 cab fare from the centre of Toowoomba so most local people will probably not use it when they take a $79 shuttle to Brisbane.

The announcement from Qantaslink of flying 11 services a week to Sydney, $99 one way till July 2015 and then $179, is only matching the service that Skytrans are already offering. Skytrans yesterday announced that they would terminate their Sydney service once Qantaslink starts.

They seem to think there is a freight business on the offering, I don't know how that will work when you have incur the costs of trucking your goods for 90 minutes to get it into Brisbane.

My greatest fear is that old man Wagner dies and his kids get tired of losing money running the airport and bulldoze it leaving Toowoomba without an airport.

• Agree 1

They seem to think there is a freight business on the offering, I don't know how that will work.

I think they are planning international export departure not freight in, unless the chinese buy brisbane and move it overseas the 90 minute truck freight to Brisbane will be no issue to them.

Something for Wellcamp to think about.

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-planning/travel-news/no-plane-sailing-for-avalon-airport-as-limited-flights-threaten-survival-20140904-1096hy.html

Lindsay was going to export Australian groceries to the world.

• Informative 2

Toowoomba needs a bigger airport. If there are services available, they will be used in my opinion. The Wagner boys have always been one step ahead of most in expansions.

• Agree 1

I flew in and out of Brisbane twice this week on Virgin....that airport is so under capacity...cant see how it can be economic to truck people or freight that far...

Are you saying more freight should be going

to Brisbane? Wellcamp is designed to attract the freight that comes from the Darling Downs and areas further west that would normally go to Brisbane hence cheaper freight costs. Wagners have built an adjacent industrial freight park and building the airport on site is the key to attracting the sort of businesses to promote growth.

I am concerned about what might happen to Toowoomba airport down the track. I can't see Wellcamp being light aircraft friendly so we do need to keep an airport like the current Toowoomba one but I can see pressure to use the land for other uses.

I flew in and out of Brisbane twice this week on Virgin....that airport is so under capacity...cant see how it can be economic to truck people or freight that far...

Toowoomba is the centre of a projected growth area. The developers seem to be displaying the sort of long-term vision rarely seen in this country. I wish them well.

Last time it was in the news, the fastest growing region in Australia is the gold coast. We already have shopping centres with empty shops with another 120shops due to come online in the next few years. The problem for Toowoomba is it has no tourist attractions, no industry, nothing really unique. It's now losing its country town appeal and ending up like the sunshine coast

I doubt that the airport will make much difference, Qantaslink announce they are running services and Skytrans announces they are exiting the market. That's a zero sum game.

I just hope the TRC don't sell of the old airport

What is this based on? How are you measuring (on your two flights) the capacity at the airport?

What is this based on? How are you measuring (on your two flights) the capacity at the airport?

Because both times like the other 20 times i have been in and out of Brisbane recently its been peak hour and i waited two people deep at security, no line up for ticketing, the lounges are empty, the food shops are quiet, the planes are nearly always on time and we hardly ever get delayed flying in or out or have delays for access to the runway...

And most planes i fly on out of Brisbane are significantly emptier as well. I often fly on aircraft out of Brisbane that are more then half empty, where as the times i have flown out of Sydney I have never once been on a half empty aircraft.

I know Sydney is an absolute joke, but seriously Brisbane is so far below capacity, you could hardly make an economic case for trucking people or cargo that far... (from Brisbane)

No im not suggesting anything, just saying how quiet and below capacity that airport is..

Because both times like the other 20 times i have been in and out of Brisbane recently its been peak hour and i waited two people deep at security, no line up for ticketing, the lounges are empty, the food shops are quiet, the planes are nearly always on time and we hardly ever get delayed flying in or out or have delays for access to the runway...And most planes i fly on out of Brisbane are significantly emptier as well. I often fly on aircraft out of Brisbane that are more then half empty, where as the times i have flown out of Sydney I have never once been on a half empty aircraft.

I know Sydney is an absolute joke, but seriously Brisbane is so far below capacity, you could hardly make an economic case for trucking people or cargo that far... (from Brisbane)

No im not suggesting anything, just saying how quiet and below capacity that airport is..

On FIFO shift change days, mainly Wednesday, we are more often that not delayed taking off, sometimes up to 15 minutes. We also every now and again are delayed and have to complete a orbit over the Brisbane valley or slow down due to traffic. I cant comment on other days ad I am a FIFO worker and on Wednesdays the joint is packed.

• Agree 2

Because both times like the other 20 times i have been in and out of Brisbane recently its been peak hour and i waited two people deep at security, no line up for ticketing, the lounges are empty, the food shops are quiet, the planes are nearly always on time and we hardly ever get delayed flying in or out or have delays for access to the runway...And most planes i fly on out of Brisbane are significantly emptier as well. I often fly on aircraft out of Brisbane that are more then half empty, where as the times i have flown out of Sydney I have never once been on a half empty aircraft.

You are obviously flying into a different Brisbane to the one I am flying into. Delays are common. Queues at check in and security are also normal.

This is why they are screaming for a second runway.

I believe that the builders/owners of Wellcamp, have placed a bid on the second range crossing for Toowoomba. When that is completed it will save anything up to 30 mins on the trip up there. I hope they win the contract, on what they have achieved so far, if they win it, it is possible that I may actually live long enough to see it come to fruition.

Cheers Geoff13

• Agree 2

You are obviously flying into a different Brisbane to the one I am flying into. Delays are common. Queues at check in and security are also normal.This is why they are screaming for a second runway.

I believe that the builders/owners of Wellcamp, have placed a bid on the second range crossing for Toowoomba. When that is completed it will save anything up to 30 mins on the trip up there. I hope they win the contract, on what they have achieved so far, if they win it, it is possible that I may actually live long enough to see it come to fruition.

Cheers Geoff13

Yes i grant perhaps a second runway could be justified, but basically in my opinion the rest of the airport is so far below capacity you r dreaming if you think it needs upgrading, let alone warrants freight or passenger transport to Townsville

Go fly in and out of Sydney or Melbourne, Hong Kong or Beijing for a while and you will soon realize what a joke the traffic and people are at Brisbane ... Its a big country airport basically

You guys are kidding if you think Brisbane is near capacity

• Like 1