What a normal day of flying looks like in Papua New Guinea

Many years ago they recruited airline pilots from new guinea. They stopped because they like school-leavers who are easier to train in the corporate way. Big mistake, I reckon. I would feel much safer with a guy who had survived a few years in new guinea.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Familiar territory. Would have loved a Kodiak in the 60s but the C185s got us there..... most times.

Very professional guys = stay careful, the wx hasn't changed, and the valleys no wider. happy dyas,

907588072_Cessna180VH-PNE.jpg.2a08e658c7d000ab0dbd60cb0102dea5.jpg

1511245819_2008-08-1007_07_42.jpg.f0a756646eb3de4ad3b90d489b80d29c.jpg

• Like 2

Familiar territory. Would have loved a Kodiak in the 60s but the C185s got us there..... most times.

Very professional guys = stay careful, the wx hasn't changed, and the valleys no wider. happy dyas,

Yes, having the extra technology these days lowers the stress levels a LOT.

Do you ever get over to Bougainville?? I spent 13 months over there flying helos around in and out of lots of fun places. love to see what it looks like these days.

Do you ever get over to Bougainville?? I spent 13 months over there flying helos around in and out of lots of fun places. love to see what it looks like these days.

I did some of the early CRA charters over there in 1969 using either a turbo Aztec C or a new twin Comanche C out of Port Moresby. WE were not permitted to go direct but via 90DME Finchafen to 90DME Rabaul thence Buka for fuel. We unloaded at Kieta down the East Coast. If wx was particularly putrid, we'd deviate to Rabaul and overnight there rather than try to bash back thru the Owen Stanleys when we were tired. Never really saw much of Bougainville but Rabaul was a fabulous location, (pre the eruption), as was Kavieng.

happy days,