CT vs Power Line

Admin

He is not keen to share in public (has been refusing interviews) and is not a member of this forum (to my knowledge). He did say it was OK to discuss where others can learn from it, so hope this is OK.

Broadly speaking, practising landing at a friends property - knew about powerlines at one end, but not the other. On a go around, found the unknown lines right in front, tried to go under, didn't make it.

Hey Ian - Wow the whole Australian fleet of CT's at one place! Heheheheh. 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

sorry 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif - only jokin'. (geez I'm funee)

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

PS - rear looks reasonable - probably wack a Jabiru front on it and get it back in the air! (Flame Suit On) 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif :hittinghead:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bendorn
This is the result of a CT hitting a power line - the accident was reported in the news forum here a few weeks back.

Looking at the picture... It appears the tie downs didn't help as he still managed to hit the powerline...... 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

• 2 weeks later...
found the unknown lines right in front, tried to go under, didn't make it.

Just thought I'd bring this up again...and the reason is, i was going to ask...

If you where heading toward some sort of lines, what would be the best thing to do? Try to go under or over?? Let's say the line is smack bang in the center of the acft....

i am re runing this story as i am lucky to write this story if by chance the you see the wires are in the middle of your prop hrs on type 260

9 9 07 out to berrigan air strip check out plane warm up and take of for short flight to mates place for coffee .fly over mates place 150 ft agl go round fly over 100ft agl paddock looks good notice power wires running east west not in the paddock i am going to land in .

go round and set up for land ing 40 degree flap 45 kt 50kts the decide to fly over again and check out said paddock at 20 to 30 ft agl .

fly low flying slow thats when the the two wires that take electricty to his house came in veiw lift left wing to late the wires are on the nose wheel the storch has been arested nose wheel then gives way .

the ground was coming up fast still level full power on hey the storch is still flying no virbration gently back to berrigan air strip at50 kt .

hey the storch is still under my control now this where the brain stared to work how in the hell do you check the nose wheel didnt have a passanger to chuck out too tell me if nose wheel was still there .

fly along the strip and use the shaddow down to strip does not look good because the nose wheel is not in shaddow do it again still cant se nose wheel in shaddow this is not agood feeling.

decision do i fly to shepparton do i fly to yarrawonga do i land here ow well land here knowing that i can land and stop in a very short distance .

then i got this horible feelin what if the wires had taken out the right hand wheel now that is when i did the calulations again berrigan has now extened the strip so here goes.

i will keep the nose very high and do touch if the right hand wheel is not there i can fly to an other air strip radio off in i go man what a releif when the left wheel touches then the right wing does not go down hey this is looking good now remember that i am landing at 40 45 kt indercated full flap let it roll ok shut down motor stick full back keep nose high losing speed fast shut down thats when the nose went down 8ft to 10 ft on nose thats why i fl a storch s yes there is abit of humour in this story but the cold hard facts are its not one bit funny do not panic fly the air craft

neil

Funny you should mention that, I am starting to look out for a new aircraft for myself - a new Recreational Flying Flagship that would look good in the site header.

Guest pelorus32
Just thought I'd bring this up again...and the reason is, i was going to ask...If you where heading toward some sort of lines, what would be the best thing to do? Try to go under or over?? Let's say the line is smack bang in the center of the acft....

G'day Tomo,

I don't think that's ever an easy thing to say outright - under or over. However the most likely time for you to be up close and personal with wires is when doing a forced landing or going into a strange - probably private - strip.

In those circumstances you are likely to be in a low energy state - low and slow. Trying to go over is most likely not sensible. I know many people who have survived going under - including 3 cousins all of whom scraped under some HT wires with their uncle driving and arrived home unscathed except for the missing top of the fin - and I know of several deaths or nasty accidents going over.

Still it's why aircraft have pilots - you must make a judgement at the time. I'd be erring on going under unless there's a good reason otherwise I think.

Others will no doubt have a view - and few of us have Neil's experience.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I know the crop dusters out here always go under, only because they got to stay close to the ground I guess...

It's probably like you said, consider at the time your in the predicament to what you should do....

Cheers,

Go under if you are close enough to see them and there is any doubt.

Trying to go over you will not climb as fast as expected because of inertia, so you stand a good chance of snagging the wheels and they will not just snap off, but will bring you to a quick top.

Going under, you will get a good look at them. Keep your head down or lose it! The tail is going to come up so maybe the fin will be demolished, but you will have speed and a lot more control to get onto the ground.

Better still keep high. Look for the shadows of power poles and know that all houses and sheds could have wires to them.

I know of one bush strip with wires at the end and the recommended practice is to go under them on takeoff, luckily that strip is seldom int wind.

Bloody power lines again!

I think i might have found a cheap simple way of highlighting powerlines near the threshold of strips for those for whatever reason cannot use those orange balls.

I was driving up the Pacific Hwy near Buladealah where they are rebuilding the highway. there are plenty of powerlines where heavy machinery cross the road, on each side of the access road they have driven two long star pickets to form a X and slipped over these are length of 3" white water pipes with a red barber pole strip on them. they stick out like the proverbial. So the above posts have got me thinking that these could work for us. If they were placed just before the location of the powerlines on each side of the strip and angled back so to be in full view to the angle of approach they could be a help to visiting pilots to indicate the position of the lines. just a thought. Any comments or further suggestions.

Ozzie

Hey Ozzie,I heard of a cheap effective one.A bloke got 2 empty 20 litre plastic roundup drums,tied about a foot of rope between the handles and had a few throws until 1 went each side of the wire and they stayed up there.It's cheaper than the $165 per ball (plus fitting,crew of 2 and the cherry picker).I also heard that the electricity company was less than impressed when it was discovered.

Bloody power lines again!I think i might have found a cheap simple way of highlighting powerlines near the threshold of strips for those for whatever reason cannot use those orange balls.

I was driving up the Pacific Hwy near Buladealah where they are rebuilding the highway. there are plenty of powerlines where heavy machinery cross the road, on each side of the access road they have driven two long star pickets to form a X and slipped over these are length of 3" white water pipes with a red barber pole strip on them. they stick out like the proverbial.

Ozzie

Ozzie,

On my way back from Phillip Island this month I saw the same roadworks and couldn't agree more. Those pickets show up so well and surely they could be affective as you have suggested.