What is better SIM card deal for cellular iPads EFB

I have just purchased a mini iPad 4 and using ozrwy. (Previously had mini Samsung wifi non cellular).

I am unsure what SIM card plan to sign up for. I hear mention of a $180 per year will work for flying, updates, weather radar, windy, airfield camera etc. or is it better use a pre paid and keep adding data as I need. Or mayBe a bit dearer 12 monthly plan with heaps of data so I can access the internet more.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

do your updates at home on your wifi

Yes have been on Samsung. Just getting to use the iPad mini. When you update on wifi does it just not do it cellular, or do you need to turn off a setting.

I certinaly like the additional features for the apple. Early days and not flown with it yet.

I use the 365 day telstra one for 50 bucks a year...seems to be ok and if you run out you just go online and paypal another 50 cheapest way to do it

Me too - have never run out. Having a year removes any concerns about running out.

• Like 1

I use the 365 day telstra one for 50 bucks a year...seems to be ok and if you run out you just go online and paypal another 50 cheapest way to do it

What deal is that? I have a prepaid Telstra service for my iPad mini but it was $150 for 40GB/12 months.

• Like 1

I will look on my ipad..dont think its 40gb though..yes just checked its 5gb. I have had the plan now for 3 or 4 years..same plan never run out of data but its only used for Ozrunways

Bugger... Wish I knew about that plan. I only saw a couple of options on the Telstra site and they were; $150/40GB/12 months or $180/60GB/12 months.

Maybe a legacy plan?

Telstra has the best service for flying, especially remotely.

I use Boost Compare Our SIM-Only Mobile Phone Plans - Boost Mobile

It uses the full telstra network ( some resellers don't ) and you can stream apple music free of data use.

It is in my samsung tablet which I use for Ozrunways and everything else. I hotspot my tablet to my phone.

If you recharge before the date of expiry, the data rolls over.

• Like 4

Yes have been on Samsung. Just getting to use the iPad mini. When you update on wifi does it just not do it cellular, or do you need to turn off a setting.

I certinaly like the additional features for the apple. Early days and not flown with it yet.

If on wi fi it will use that without turning off mobile data.

I am on Telstra. 1yr exp 5Gb. $50 with Data rollover if recharge before expiry. It is more than enough.

• Informative 1

If on wi fi it will use that without turning off mobile data.

I am on Telstra. 1yr exp 5Gb. $50 with Data rollover if recharge before expiry. It is more than enough.

Does turning on traffic and the rain overlay etc use much data. What I mean is does the $50 plan provide using the features for example traffic, rain radar overlay, airfield camera inf, etc. Apreciate all comments as I new to have cellular and I have not bought a plan yet; but will be getting a SIM card soon.

Maps and traffic is very minimal usage. I only put weather radar on if required and only intermittently. I find it is slow to refresh and annoying to have on all the time.

You may find youself looking at other non aviation things on it and then ofcourse data will go up. Emails etc....

You can always top up the data on the run or start with a pre paid sim to see how much GB you require.

Maps and traffic is very minimal usage. I only put weather radar on if required and only intermittently. I find it is slow to refresh and annoying to have on all the time.

You may find youself looking at other non aviation things on it and then ofcourse data will go up. Emails etc....

You can always top up the data on the run or start with a pre paid sim to see how much GB you require.

Thanks for info.. I did have a look at Telstra a coulpe of days ago and could not find the $50 data plan. I'll give Boost a look tonight. Cheers.

I tried Aldi, but never got to use one dollar out of my years package.

Just used the normal dollars untill the year ended and no recourse to stop my $100 wastage.

spacesailor

I tried Aldi, but never got to use one dollar out of my years package.

Just used the normal dollars untill the year ended and no recourse to stop my $100 wastage.

spacesailor

Before you go with a MVNO like Aldi check their coverage map. The test is Burketown. Telstra and Boost have it covered.

Data Usage. For in the air tracking and general aviation use of Ozrunways away from wi fi my data usage shows 1 Gb should last for about 100 hours flying

• Like 1

Aldi use Telstra network but not ALL of it...Boost was bought by Telstra from Optus and uses the full Telstra network thats why Boost is a little more expensive than Aldi....I use Aldi for my normal phone and have done for many years..after Kogan got tossed by Telstra. Aldi has never not been connected though but havent been to Burketown :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Telstra has been good for me flying across Australia and through the Kimberley & West Coast.

only ever luckedout with coverage at William Creek which is serviced by Optus.

I agree with other comments, get a Telstra map & check coverage. Some places they don’t cover you may never fly to.

i have a pre- paid 12 month sim for the IPad & have always rolled over my gig allowance to the next year. I think I pay $150 for 60gb I am not sure if this option is still available

We use the Telstra data-only prepaid thing on a tablet, for our road trips. It's $150 per year for 40GB (was 25GB when we first started). According to the website, any unused data does NOT roll over, which annoys me no end - if I've paid for it, it should be mine regardless of when I use it. In fact it annoys me that there is an expiry date at all - I don't see why it should matter how long I take to use the data.

As far as I know that is their lowest-cost prepaid data plan that has 365-day expiry on the data. As a general rule Telstra does have the best coverage in our experience.

I have just purchased a mini iPad 4 and using ozrwy. (Previously had mini Samsung wifi non cellular).

I am unsure what SIM card plan to sign up for. I hear mention of a $180 per year will work for flying, updates, weather radar, windy, airfield camera etc. or is it better use a pre paid and keep adding data as I need. Or mayBe a bit dearer 12 monthly plan with heaps of data so I can access the internet more.

You could do what I do and connect your ipad4 to your phone using hotspot/tethering providing the range is not to far, this should be the cheapest option

I am unsure what SIM card plan to sign up for. I hear mention of a $180 per year will work for flying, updates, weather radar,

telstra data share sim. This is not a standalone contract/plan but just a trailer for existing main phone (unfortunately now it is available only with business plans, not personal). You pay $5 pm and share your existing data allowance with this secondary card, without voice calls. If you have 20G allowance on phone you never use them all, so effectively your data on secondary sim does not cost anything, and if it is sleeping it costs $5 pm.

I use it with spare 4g/eth router, which I can connect to any equipment anywhere, on any construction site or unfinished installation and get full internet access (updates, remote access etc) for the whole network, not shared from my mobile, and it cost virtually nothing.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Telstra offer a sim only data plan for $5 per month, it’s part of your mobile phone plan and uses your mobile phone data allowance. I’ve been using it for years. Ozrunways uses very little data.

• Informative 1