What radio and Transponder to get

I have 2 Microair radios in my Jab and i both are not very good, i would not depend on them.

Can anyone suggest the best value radio available.

Also what transponder can i fit, must it be a mode "S" or can i fit a second hand one from a local helicopter guy.

Thanks

If you can go with a handheld, the Yaesu are good, more reliable than Icom in my opinion. I use an Icom A200 in the RV and once I got it set up OK it has been very good. From what I have heard, just about anything is better than microair, but I have no personal experience.

Personally I like trig stuff....

Yes, have a look at Trig.

I have a Trig small round Mode S Transponder in my Jab and no probs since installation in 2014.

My Microair VHF Com is still working well, but if it gives up, I will buy a Trig VHF Com.

As back up, think about a Handheld connected to a Headset

• Like 1

My Microair works fine when it is warm. When I was at Airventure I found out there is a known fault with revision Q models & that is a faulty capacitor that causes noise that the volume control has no effect on so you have to turn it off till things warm up. Microair are virtually impossible to get hold of & then want you to send the radio to them & they will have a look at it. They won't give a timeframe or cost just it will go in the queue. You can take it to a radio repair outfit but most will charge close to a grand just to pull it apart. Now it is warm outside it is OK. Coming home from Airventure it was -3 to -6 degrees at 7500 to 9500 feet & the radio was useless. It was all OK on the ground and climbing out & again when making my 10 mile call once I'd come down into warmer temps.

I had a quick look at the Flightline. Looks Ok but can it monitor 2 frequencies like the Microair? Microair has 99 memory slots where the Flightline has 32. Not really an issue. I only have a dozen or so stored anyway.

I have an X Com Transceiver and a KT74 Mode S Transponder.

Happy with both.

X Com (which I heard may no longer be in production)  was a big step up in safety/awareness being duel channel. So far (6 years) its been a great  little radio. Aften get complimented on transmission clarity and it certainly (sometimes disconcertainly) has great reception.

KT74 - again no complaints - seems to be doing its job. ( how do you tell one way or the other?) Have had comms from ATC indicating they have me on their system.

Both units were originally selected on the basis of cost effectiveness and fit into my instrument panel.

The KT 74 slipped right into my old transponder cradle.

I think compatible and well located antenna, where appropriate a suitably sized ground planen ,  are all essential for effective radio/transponder operation.

I also carry a small  ICom handheld transceiver as "back up".

Xcom are no longer made...Trig are good but expensive. I am going to try the new MGL V16 digital radio and i think they use the garrect transponder but i think you can fit any you like really. The Flightcom is a cheap std radio and seems to work well from what I have played with. Stay away from anything Microair just too much drama all the time and intermittant ops. Becker seem ok but anything from Europe is very expensive anyway