Wheel Fairings

I generally operate my Cassutt Racer from a grass strip with the wheel fairings off. A pity because I loose 7 knots (on average) from my cruise speed and 10 knots (or so) from my top speed. When I have had the fairings on I end up with more rub marks, grass jaming things up and lost screws from every flight, regardless of the thread lock used. The wheels sit high in the fairing. To cover up the fairing brackets, possibly improve performance and the looks of the aircraft I've toyed with the idea of half fairings. I've seen them on the Hummel Birds, Sukhois and Maule Rockets. A long sho,t but does anyone know of some plans that I can use?

Cheers

Steve

• Agree 1

• 4 years later...

Canungra

Wow....... this is an old posting. You can see from the response I had to the posting that I was likely unsuccessful with the half fairings. Also, the aircraft is long since sold and the approved ABA drawings for the original wheel fairings went with the sale. I never did have have the molds. That said, if you are after the full wheel fairing molds I can probably provide you with names of former Cassutt racer builders. PM me if you like.

Cheers

Steve