When it all goes wrong!

Nev, You will never convince our "enemies" flying those "dangerous things" can be safe, if done correctly! they don`t want to be convinced and I`ve learned to live with that.

I`ve taken up a heck of a lot of people, over the years, and as part of my pre-flight briefing, to those who arn`t familiar with Ultralights, I say, " these aircraft are not toys, they fly for real and they kill for real" guess what! no one has yet backed off and decided not to go up with me!!! I tell it as it is.

By the way, I`m not in that video! I came across it on the internet, where any of our "enemies" could find it!

Franco.

• Like 2

Very hard to watch through... and a poignant reminder of things that can go wrong - it can happen to any of us at any time. As with many accidents we see on YT, we think they may have a death wish,but it could be as simple as something outside of our control - a cable snapping for example; A lot of the time I sit there and wonder why pilot didn't do x or y, but we have no idea - did they misintepret what was going on? Or as simple as the decreasing brain capacity with increasing stress simply couldn't process everything happening quickly, let alone react to it. More training helps alleviate it, but in the real world of private flying where people have families and jobs and a be-ennial check flight (not even techically required as a training flight in EASA land - an instructor just has to sit next to you), self-training, which takes self-discipline is the only real way to go. I try and recite various emergency procedures at least once/day, including mimicing the actions.. I doubt too many even do it once a month.

• Like 2

It shows me however that parachutes are probably costing more lives than saving lives ! All of thse canopy failures are a concern. The way that glider just exploded is also a worry !

When I was dropping people out of perfectly good aeroplanes, there were a couple of reserve chutes that tangled with the Main and they were able to be released fortunately. Not nice to watch till the outcomes became non life threatening. I couldn't watch a few of those without flinching I'm afraid. Maybe it's ME. Nev

Those 360 deg cameras sure make everything look weird.

There should be a setting that converts the image to make it appear normal. Some people like the "little planet" effect...I'm not one of them.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

It shows me however that parachutes are probably costing more lives than saving lives ! All of thse canopy failures are a concern. The way that glider just exploded is also a worry !

Some of those look like training exercises gone wrong. The paragliders over water in particular. An acquaintance of mine is a paragliding instructor, I can't remember what they call it, but the do it over a local lake when they deliberately upset the canopy then recover to learn how to deal with a collapsed canopy. They receive instruction by radio while doing the exercise.

Perhaps some paraglider drivers could elaborate.

• Informative 1

I can't remember what they call it, but the do it over a local lake when they deliberately upset the canopy then recover to learn how to deal with a collapsed canopy. They receive instruction by radio while doing the exercise.

Perhaps some paraglider drivers could elaborate.

SIV - stands for Simulation d'Incident en Vol (French: Simulated Incidence in Flight; paragliding)

• Like 1