Where did I put that cliboard ?

rep003

That's a straight-out lack of training, placing a clipboard in a position where it can be ingested into the engine.

That should be a basic level of training - you never put any object you're carrying, down, without retrieving it, before you move on.

Maybe they need wristbands attached to the clipboards to help their memory functioning?

• Agree 1

That's a straight-out lack of training, placing a clipboard in a position where it can be ingested into the engine.That should be a basic level of training - you never put any object you're carrying, down, without retrieving it, before you move on.

Maybe they need wristbands attached to the clipboards to help their memory functioning?

The miscreant was identified in the article as the 'leading hand' of the crew. So if this was a case of lack of training, him being the leading hand, what does that say for the efficiency/effectiveness of the rest of the crew? At some time in our work lives, we have all done something totally inexplicable which, had it broken another way, could have had horrid results. I'd reckon this guy just had a temporary brain fade which he'll pay for for the rest of his working career (if he has one with Jetstar). Each and every work accessory fastened to one wrist/arm????? I don't think so.

• Agree 1

Riley, the problem here, is that a sizeable number of people lives were put at risk due to the potential of an EFATO - due to sloppy procedures.

There have to be foolproof procedures drilled into people, that must be followed religiously, where substantial numbers of innocent lives are at stake.

We've seen the results of sloppy training and procedures, where pilots have taken off with gust locks installed, or forgotten to set flaps for takeoff.

O.K., so memories can be suspect, and we're human and we forget. But in critical situations, there have to be checks initiated when items are taken to critical areas of the aircraft.

There was obviously a check failure in the loss of a clipboard, and no-one noticed.

No-one noticed the employee going out with a clipboard, and returning without it - and no-one checked the engine intake, for items left in there.

Yes, I was somewhat tongue-in-cheek with the wristband suggestion - but it is used, and advisable to use, when small items such as small tools can be easily misplaced.

I can recall crashes caused by lost screwdrivers that weren't missed, and they jammed controls. I can recall crashes caused by lost coins in the cabin of light aircraft that did the same.

The miscreant was identified in the article as the 'leading hand' of the crew. So if this was a case of lack of training, him being the leading hand, what does that say for the efficiency/effectiveness of the rest of the crew? At some time in our work lives, we have all done something totally inexplicable which, had it broken another way, could have had horrid results. I'd reckon this guy just had a temporary brain fade which he'll pay for for the rest of his working career (if he has one with Jetstar). Each and every work accessory fastened to one wrist/arm????? I don't think so.

Do you know what they are paying their ground staff and thus the quality of worker they are employing these days? I was contract ground crew for Virgin Blue for 7 years and I loved it but I had to get out...the pay and conditions were appalling. When I left we were earning $21 per hour casual...but do the maths...I still managed to earn almost $70k for several of the later years due to the hours we worked with no minimum/suitable rest periods doing constant split shifts. My ticker finally started to spit the dummy and I had to get out. None of the basic safety rules were being followed...especially when it came to drug testing of staff. They just didn't do it full stop. I did end up reporting all this to CASA through their confidential reporting portal in the end when the guilt of what was happening got to be too much. Virgin and CASA sent their people in...CASA was only there for one morning...and they left after lunch. The Guys I was working with that night all sighed in relief and rushed to their cars excitedly to go home and get their "bongs" in before the last flight arrived. And I am not making this up or guessing. They told me. Virgin itself cared even less but they did remove the contract from the company I was working for not long after I left and found another job.

Funny thing is the new company that took over paid even less.

• Informative 2