Check your trike's fuel lines...

I made the following post to another thread - regarding a fuel line problem on a Jab230. But I thought it also relevant to post here:

My Airborne trike (Redback) has done just 52 hours TTIS - but over a period of 3 years.

I pre-flight check it every flight (as you should..) and had not noticed the deterioration of the rubber fuel lines (approved fuel line material to some USA standard) - until a friend visited our farm, and he is into large scale model aeroplanes; he walked up to the engine and straight away said "when are you going to replace those fuel hoses?" I looked closely and couldn't believe how many fractures were in all of them. I took them off and when they were bent a little, some of the fractures opened right up and you could see the linen separator between the 2 layers of rubber.

This trike has been hangared or garaged all its life and has an engine cover placed on it after each flight. No UV and no excessive heat. I cant see how top grade material like that could deteriorate so quickly - in these conditions.

Also taught me that a fresh pair of eyes from time to time is one of the best annexures to self pre-flighting...

Cheers,

Chris

Fuel Lines and filters

Here in SA we have many threads regarding engine fuel lines and respective materials. Its almost an annual "mandatory" to change lines and fuel filters irrespective of hours. The Goodyear US spec line is good kit and the Mercedes Benz diesel fuel filter seems to be the standard here.

Also 52 hrs on that motor is not good either as insuffuicient hours can really do no good to a two stroke..no oil in it. We have had Rattexes here with a low 60hrs and three years old --- they normally trash the cranks due to corrosion and replace as a matter of course. Whilst at it look at gear oils and couplings, they can be hydroscopic (oil).

Safe Flying Paul

Hi Chris.......Im famous at last! ;)

Seriously, how did you go locating some new fuel line? Look forward to catching up again!

Scotty:keen:

My Hawker Typhoon

IMG_3352a.jpg.7d080b463bc95a086780e88d00fc83e4.jpg

Hi Chris.......Im famous at last! ;)Seriously, how did you go locating some new fuel line? Look forward to catching up again!

Scotty:keen:

My Hawker Typhoon

Well Scotty - you did potentially save me from having fuel spraying back on that exhaust manifold - so 5 minutes of fame is due.. :big_grin:

Replacement line was easy; the local Repco man had good quality USA made hoses - so I bought a U.S. measure yard!

Some great flying was to be had last week - b4 the change, and welcome rain. I took my camera along and over-flew Black Springs, Oberon and Hartley; 10am to 11:30am and still smooth as silk... Did a quick lap today - but was real bumpy with the NWesterly still putting up a bit of fight..

C U soon.

Chris