Who’s going to Oshkosh 2018?

Subsonic

I’ve been a member of this forum for some time, often lurking but have a long history in aviation. I worked for Qantas for over 20 years before finding my feet in other industries. Aviation in me still burns strong. This year I’ve decided to bite the bullet and get something done that I’ve been thinking about for years and visit Oshkosh. My dad’s getting older too and I am looking for things we can do together, so this year we’re going to Oshkosh!

I don’t want to drop my dad deep in to avgeek land for a whole week so I’ve drafted a gentler itinerary with him in mind for a short US visit with a bit of other boy-stuff for variation. We’re also car nuts and have raced on quite a few local and international circuits so have added that and a visit to the Kennedy Space Centre too. A rough agenda for us so far is:

Wed 18 July SYD – DFW

19 July Dallas

20 July Audi race experience – Circuit of the Americas

21 July DFW – FLA

22 – 23 July – Kennedy Space Centre, Cape Canaveral and Florida surrounds

24 July FLA – MKE

25 – 27 July – Oshkosh full days

28 July – MKE – DFW – SYD

I’m interested to hear from you guys who have attended before and let me know your thoughts. Does anyone from Australia regularly attend this event and have any tips? Let’s try and catch up for a beer while we are there!

Cheers,

Michael.

I’ve been a member of this forum for some time, often lurking but have a long history in aviation. I worked for Qantas for over 20 years before finding my feet in other industries. Aviation in me still burns strong. This year I’ve decided to bite the bullet and get something done that I’ve been thinking about for years and visit Oshkosh. My dad’s getting older too and I am looking for things we can do together, so this year we’re going to Oshkosh!I don’t want to drop my dad deep in to avgeek land for a whole week so I’ve drafted a gentler itinerary with him in mind for a short US visit with a bit of other boy-stuff for variation. We’re also car nuts and have raced on quite a few local and international circuits so have added that and a visit to the Kennedy Space Centre too. A rough agenda for us so far is:

Wed 18 July SYD – DFW

19 July Dallas

20 July Audi race experience – Circuit of the Americas

21 July DFW – FLA

22 – 23 July – Kennedy Space Centre, Cape Canaveral and Florida surrounds

24 July FLA – MKE

25 – 27 July – Oshkosh full days

28 July – MKE – DFW – SYD

I’m interested to hear from you guys who have attended before and let me know your thoughts. Does anyone from Australia regularly attend this event and have any tips? Let’s try and catch up for a beer while we are there!

Cheers,

Michael.

Hi MichaelI’ve been many times and am going again this year.

PM me and we can catch up and perhaps meet up

25 – 27 July – Oshkosh. I'd suggest another day if you can - there is so much to see / do. The days can be long & tiring - for your dad (& you) the "trams" make it easy to get about. Take a load off your feet by sitting down & watching the daily airshows (& the Wednesday night airshow shouldn't be missed). Finally the EAA HQ / museum is well worth a visit - allow at least 3 hours. Have a great trip! Bill

You will find that "a couple of days" at Oshkosh won't nearly be enough.

If you can manage it, try to stay for the fireworks on Saturday night.

There are joy flights in warbirds available (book online early as you can) and also heli sightseeing flights over the airport/show area. The ultralight and warbird areas are really worth a look. When you get to the US, go to a shop and buy some folding camp chairs to sit beside the runway during the airshows. Take hats, sunnies and camera.

The best accomodation is to camp in Camp Scholler, but that takes a little planning. My flying instructor goes to Walmart, buys a tent, uses it for the week and then takes advantage of Walmart's no hassle return policy. If you do camp, they have really good facilities (shower blocks) and shops on site for food/supplies. The best camping area (IMO) is 101 woods.

If you don't already have your flights booked, you might also consider a side trip to Dayton Ohio for the USAF National Museum.

At the risk of over exposure, we did the trip last year

Hope you have a really great time.

Hi all and thanks for your replies.

Update: I've booked accommodation near Oshkosh, a town called Fond du lac, for four nights. I never considered camping on site, I think dad would laugh at it - not really his style. As a bonus little gift for dad, I've booked a flight for us both in Aluminum Overcast, EAA's own B17. Though I've laid spanners on a few I've never actually flown in a warbird before. Pretty excited to see what it will be like!

Michael.

Michael:

Your dad will thank you for the rest of his life for the B-17 ride. My wife bought me a ride in Fifi for my birthday last year and I am at a loss for words for what it means to me.

It is a bit of a tour to get to the field where the B17 operated from when I flew in it a couple of years ago. That being said, it was well managed and a comfortable shuttle included in the price. A great experience being in the lovely old ship. I will be returning this year. Fon Du Lac is an easy drive.

I have to agree with everything said so far. Myself and a mate went in 2014 for the first time. This year my wife and I and several other couples from our local aero club are going.

We did the trip with one of those tour companies so pretty much everything was done for us. Stayed at the university of Wisconsin in Oshkosh. Dorm room accom and a great dining hall with cheap food. Bus service specially for the event laid on from the front door.

I have to say that we came away thinking we had still not seen everything to see. I reckon if you’re a die hard enthusiast you do need the whole week. We still found stuff on the last day we hadn’t seen before. But then we are avid builders and maintainers of our aircraft so we spent lots of time in the big hangars with the product displays looking at avionics and stuff we could install in our aircraft. And we spent a heap of time in builders alley or what ever it was called buying hardware and tools. I had to buy another suitcase to bring home the stuff I bought.!

But what I would suggest is you join the EAA and then prepurchase tickets. The cost is dramatically cheaper for members. We are going for the whole week and if I recall the saving is over a hundred dollars each. Only one of you has to join. A member can buy a second ticket for same cost.

You also get their magazine for a year ( electronic version for free and paper copy for a bit more )

Do a google search for Oshkosh EAA 2018 and there are links to joining as well as ticket and prices. You can do it all on line. Including get your tickets sent to you to print out. I’m not sure if the savings are as good for only a few days but worth checking out.

Have a great time there. Might bump into you.

A member can now purchase more than one additional ticket/s We are staying north of Milwaukee this trip and driving straight up the highway. Easy as.

I am going for the full week - my first time. Joined the EAA and booked the full week ticket as well as camping on site. All very easy.

Yep, I went in '15, and fully intend to go again probably next year, along with sun n fun.

We stayed for the whole week, there is simply too much to take in. After a few days of watching the constant air show, one becomes immune, and then you can start going to seminars and tutorials on whatever subject your heart desires. Make sure that you go to the seaplane base, its a nice spot just to relax and have a feed if nothing else. The ultralight field at the southern end is definitly worth a look, usually the back country guys like kevin quinn steve henry and trent palmer put on a show.

There are (or where when i was there) phone charger points in the EAA tent near the tower from memory.

There is a large factory outlet mall accross highway 41 that runs a free shuttle to airventure, if you fancy a spot of shopping.

Dont forget the EAA museum as well, which is on the grounds, but accessed from off highway 41 on poberezny rd. some awesome history in there.

Take comfortable, well worn in shoes, or you WILL know about it.

We stayed in a little cottage on the shore of lake Poygan Here. It was a half an hour or so drive in to the eaa grounds, which was not ideal, but it was quite nice. I would probably consider camping or something next time.

Only thing I can suggest when comes to driving there daily is go early.

I didn’t drive so I’m only going on what I observed as we came in by bus each day. But the parking and distances to walk from the far parking areas looked a bit daunting. They have buses and trolley cars all over the place but I don’t know about the parking areas to the gates. Perhaps one of the group who drove can comment on that?

Only thing I can suggest when comes to driving there daily is go early.I didn’t drive so I’m only going on what I observed as we came in by bus each day. But the parking and distances to walk from the far parking areas looked a bit daunting. They have buses and trolley cars all over the place but I don’t know about the parking areas to the gates. Perhaps one of the group who drove can comment on that?

We drove and it was no drama... There is heaps of parking, sometimes a bit of a walk, but no difference to walking the runway once, which one probably does 4 times a day. Traffic on the road is also fine, police direct eaa traffic right through a lot of red lights etc

Guest Guest

I'll get there one day! I'll be in DFW mid July doing an endo but can't stay.....sob sob sob

Just a bit off side,

Went to "Flight Center" As they advertised "London $995" , Cheap!, until I said yes,

Then it was $2200, With one stop, Good I'll stay a few day's, (At Singapore) THEN, plus $1500 on top of fare !, with-out an Hotel.

How do you guys get better deal's, as this feels like a Ripoff.

Anyone flying their own plane Oversea's.

spacesailor

Jaba-who, I drove last time. Lots of parking and we walked past the museum and to the gate, a few minutes only. You need to pay for parking, I think it was $5 a day.

• 2 months later...
...I’m interested to hear from you guys who have attended before and let me know your thoughts. Does anyone from Australia regularly attend this event and have any tips? Let’s try and catch up for a beer while we are there!Cheers,

Michael.

Just decided last week to go for my 5th time. Aussies for Oshkosh group on Facebook is having a dinner at the Hilton on Thursday night - message me if you want to come along.I’m here all week, mostly at the Aerobatic Club Building.

Since my wife is Australian and I am keen on living there (just need to convince her) I will offer three USS Midway passes if anyone stops by San Diego. Well, actually I will take you on board since I am a volunteer and get to bring three people on board at one time.