Why aren't there any trikes for glacier flying, only taildraggers?

I know: most bush planes are taildraggers. But nevertheless, there are some tikes with pretty impressive bush plane performances , like the zeniths, rans, savannas or the aeroprakts. Maybe they will even produce the carbon cup trike they are testing right now.

Same with snow flying, but also there some trikes work well. But when it comes to glacier flying, I could not find a trike doing it.

I also know, that the front wheel is the weak point, as it is often fixed on the firewall. And I understand, that rolling on rough terrain works hard on that wheel. But if you land in snow, the forces acting on the front wheel should be much smaller, as the ski is gliding through the snow.

So what are you thinking: Why aren't there trikes doing glacier flying? Or did I just miss them?

I would be wary of having anything so far forward of the C of G as the usual nosewheel is, in snow. where it might have to support a large % of the weight in unpredictable circumstances. If the surface is skimmed and uniform perhaps not a problem. Nev

• Agree 1

Ok, in a taildragger the weight on the tail wheel is maybe 5-10%, while in a trike the nose wheel carries maybe 20-30% of the weight.

But that means that each of the front wheels (main wheels) of a tail dragger carries 45% of the weight, which is much more than a nose wheel ever will.

Isn't it mainly a question of how big your ski is? Or is the main problem that a nose wheel is a lot more fragile than a main wheel?

Those nose wheel bush planes lift the nose wheel within seconds when operated for soft field. Also during landing, the nose wheel seems to be held off the ground until very late, so that the configuration is the same as in a taildragger making a wheel landing.

• Like 1

In any design the nosewheel is not that strong relatively, and is the most easy to damage. Weight will transfer to it if braking or if the elevator is relaxed or if there's drag MUD SNOW SLUSH. tall grass. or any porpoised landing. It COULD carry over 100% of the aircrafts weight in a dynamic situation. .Nosewheel failures are fairly common in light aircraft in fairly rugged locations or any runway excursions. I don't believe they exclude themselves from use on remote strips but you get more maintenance and flat struts due nicks in the chrome and consequent leakage of oil and gas. Good pilot technique is required to appreciate the structural and control limits of a nosewheel set up. Often not emphasised enough in training, if it's mainly on good hard surfaced runways. Nev .

As a bush aircraft a Fletcher would be one of the best, rough short strips, heavy loads, work all day, all week and all year back in the olden days. Mostly carrying more than it's empty weight. It has nose wheel. The undercarriage was less trouble, was better on rougher strips and cost less to maintain than the likes of a Beaver.

These days it's not considered a bush aircraft unless it has a tailwheel and flies in Alaska.

• Like 1

0724_cubcrafters_nxcub__16x9.thumb.jpg.8025a7cd106a24bbd1118af81b708292.jpg

CubCrafters' newest move: a trike. The front wheel is extraordinarily close to the front end. This probably reduces the weight on it and allows for the drag design of it which makes it less vulnerable to stones and the like.

As in snow flying there is no breaking (the landing strip normally runs uphill), this setup should work great if the ski on the front wheel is big enough.

Now this is an expensive plane. But the Savannahs and the Foxbats should also be able to do that, as they go bush flying often. Any comments of the Savannah and Foxbat pilots?