Width Of Aeropup Wings Folded?

jackc

Looking to find out IF an Aeropup with wings folded can fit in an enclosed trailer of maximum legal width?

Trailer max 2500, wall thickness 40x2, Aeropup folded 2360 = 30mm clearance each side. With some strap on rub protection it would be doable.

• Like 1

I’m not sure about the single seaters, and I think some builds have the mounts for the control cables on the flaps and ailerons on the top (or bottom) opposite to mine, which allows you to unbolt the cable and fold them further giving a tighter fit. But I deffinately had to remove my wings to fit my 2 seater in my garage.

The opening is about 2.3m and the tail feathers are almost that, the wings wider again.

Not a huge issue for me as my wings had to come off anyway but I did expect it to fit!

Maybe mine is different?

• Like 1

Mine is in the process of getting a folding wings conversion at Aeropup Gympie. My aileron and flap cables are bottom side mounted. This may affect the width compared to topside mounted cables?

IF it’s too wide I will have to remove wings and stow seperate if I want to go enclosed trailer? That may not be feasible as I probably will not be able to remove/refit wings by myself.

Yes I wouldn’t suggest removing the wings regularly. It’s not a hard task but there are a few adjustments that you wouldn’t want to be changing.

I don’t think it’s too big of a job to switch the control mounts around? Might just have to poke the cable through the fabric on the wing and make a patch where it was and remake the the aileron/flaps. I should do it to mine but might just live with it.

This bloke is showing photos of his Aeropup on a trailer, so it's obviously within gauge. However, an enclosed trailer is a different kettle of fish, you may be be struggling.

You could always contact the gentleman and discuss the width. Even though he's sold it, his contact details are still up.

https://www.planesales.com.au/details/Listing/Single-Engine-Propeller/6339/2010-Aeropup-Twin-Seat-Aircraft

Thanks everyone, maybe I will just suck it up and convert a boat trailer for the job, not as though I will need to haul it over very long distances by road.

This is how my old Skyfox fitted on a trailer, note there is a support tube from the front end of the leading edge to the strut attachment point to support the wing as if not used it's only supported with the aft hinge pin bolt. Also have a lightly sprung trailer so it is not abrupt . stiff on the road bumps as only carrying about 300kg or so.

14614543_onthetrailer.JPG.08283fa376a8e143150ffc54c697fa4c.JPG