Will You Live to see 85? Here's something to think about……..

Phil Perry

I recently picked a new GP. . . . . After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing

'fairly well’ for my age (I've just reached 64 and a half. . .).

A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 85?’

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer, wine or hard liquor?

'Oh not much grog these days and don't smoke' I replied. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!’

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks, fatty roasts and barbecued Ribs?

'I said, 'Not much.... my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!’

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, boating, sailing,surfing, hiking, or bicycling?’

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lots of sex?’

'No,' I said…

He looked at me and said,.. 'Then, why the F--- do you want to live to 85?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4
  • Winner 4

Osteoporosis will have a part in that. Actually exercise helps always but you have to not injure yourself, at the same time

All this talk lately of living forever is probably politically motivated and tied up with making the retirement age later. There are actually few jobs for people over 35. Most management don't like having people older than themselves on the staff.

The presumption the current trend will be maintained of living longer, is just that. Diet and diabetes might act against the trend continuing. If you don't maintain a fair bit of physical activity you aren't going to do well. Latest analysis is tending to support the use it or lose it theory.

Quality of life is the important thing. Nev

• Agree 5

... The presumption the current trend will be maintained of living longer, is just that. Diet and diabetes might act against the trend continuing. If you don't maintain a fair bit of physical activity you aren't going to do well. Latest analysis is tending to support the use it or lose it theory... Nev

I totally agree, Nev. Life expectancy for the average person might have already peaked. I'm sure lots of health freaks will live to great ages, but too many people are suffering an epidemic of inactivity and crap food.

• Agree 3

I know a guy who is in his mid 80's and still holds a C1 medical, CIR and flys at least a weekly, albeit in instructing these days. If I was that fit, yea, maybe 100 would work.

• Agree 2

Well I'd lie to die at 85. And I know how I want to die: I would like to be shot.In bed by a jealous husband. . .

Bruce

But then the truth comes out, he walked into the wrong house and that wasn't his wife but a blow up doll.

• Like 1

I'm trying to convince my 140-odd Kg son that he won't live to enjoy his son growing up in the same way that I did at 100 kg, if he doesn't get serious about ripping off the weight. I've suggested to him that he eat the types of food that I did at his age - fresh food that I cooked for myself.

I think the Obesity epidemic is due to one thing: an over-reliance on factory prepared food. You can't deny that anything home-made tastes better and is more fulfilling that anything from a box or can. My belief is that if you can see all the ingredients going into your meal before it hits the pot, then the meal should be healthy.

I don't condemn take-away food out of hand. A hamburger from the local fish'n'chip shop, made with fresh salad and a patty made in the shop itself, is still a quite healthy meal. And if you don't want a burger, then the Vietnamese hot bread shop makes a mean pork roll.

I do advocate the eating of multi-grain bread. The more whole grains the better as the grains displace the flour in the slice, and it's the flour that's the killer. Also cut back the processed sugar as much as possible. We only add a pinch of salt to taste, therefore, we should only add a pinch of processed sugar for taste.

As for exercise - I don't hold with daily strenuous workouts in a gym. If you look at hunter/gatherers, they didn't bust a boiler every day. They just walked a lot and interspersed the walking with short periods of intense action as they chased and knocked down prey. I don't suggest that people grab a handful of spears each day to go out and catch dinner. What's wrong with a brisk 15 minute walk + a 100 metre dash = another brisk walk back home? Do that each day and you'll soon be hunting for a new belt to hold up your trousers. And you'll be able to fly further because you can pour in more fuel before you reach MTOW!

OME

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Processed food definitely plays a big role but I think the biggest problem is soft drinks and beer. Occasionally (maybe one once a week) would be okay but it seems in a lot of cases sugary drinks are more often used as water than a treat.

I haven't weighed myself for a while but I was 120, I've been having a bit of a go at getting fitter but I'm not game to step on the scales as I might give up out of hopelessness or give up because I've done so well lol.

About 10 years ago I started Gym 3 days a week and doing some good weights and all the other stuff, Looked ok and had good strength but you can't keep that up. Older bodies have to tailor the workouts more for flexibility and movement than power and strength. My neck lost movement and my back has 4 discs that are "dessicated" This was diagnosed in 1992 and I was told I could forget tractors, much car driving and motorcycles. I have developed special movement exercises and am MUCH better than I was then, and that's a while ago now. I have ridden old bikes long distances and driven frequently for 11 hours etc. You just HAVE to keep going if you want to be in it. Stay away from the knife unless there is no other option. Your back has to keep flexible. Don't lift and TWIST at the same time. Oh and have a glass of good red now and again and make out it is good for you. Nev

• Winner 1

If you look at hunter/gatherers, they didn't bust a boiler every day. They just walked a lot and interspersed the walking with short periods of intense action as they chased and knocked down prey.

And where do I go to look at these hunter/gatherers?

The natives nowadays go to hunt by walking to maccas and gather goodies at Centrelink, certainly not busting a boiler as you say. Chasing and knocking down prey might happen late at night after a skinful?

Everybody gets to die, it's not the length or wealth but where you end up that determines if your life was successful or not - Hebrews 9v27, after death the judgement.

What a lovely bloke you are Gnu. First give the Aboriginies a serve then hit us with some bible-bashing tripe.

The only judgement in this life is what your family and friends think about you. After death you're dead. I thought we covered all this in another thread.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

When I turned 85 my Missus took me in to the Docs for a checkup.

Being hard of hearing, the Doc says to my Missus; "I'll need a blood, urine, semen and stool sample"

I asked my Missus what the Doc had said and she replied; "He wants your underpants ...".

• Haha 4

About 10 years ago I started Gym 3 days a week and doing some good weights and all the other stuff, Looked ok and had good strength but you can't keep that up. Older bodies have to tailor the workouts more for flexibility and movement than power and strength. My neck lost movement and my back has 4 discs that are "dessicated" This was diagnosed in 1992 and I was told I could forget tractors, much car driving and motorcycles. I have developed special movement exercises and am MUCH better than I was then, and that's a while ago now. I have ridden old bikes long distances and driven frequently for 11 hours etc. You just HAVE to keep going if you want to be in it. Stay away from the knife unless there is no other option. Your back has to keep flexible. Don't lift and TWIST at the same time. Oh and have a glass of good red now and again and make out it is good for you. Nev

If you ever need to go under the knife for a back op get onto me and ill give you the details of an awesome doc. I had a disk replaced (yes the old one taken out and a teflony material replacement put in, NO fusing or any other immobilising opp) in early twenties and went from nearly a cripple to fully normal in no time. Two weeks after the op I was back mustering on a motorbike and after six weeks no pain or restriction of movement whatsoever. The same doc has operated on professional sports people and had them back competing in no time, certainly worth the investment.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

If you ever need to go under the knife for a back op get onto me and ill give you the details of an awesome doc. I had a disk replaced (yes the old one taken out and a teflony material replacement put in, NO fusing or any other immobilising opp) in early twenties and went from nearly a cripple to fully normal in no time. Two weeks after the op I was back mustering on a motorbike and after six weeks no pain or restriction of movement whatsoever. The same doc has operated on professional sports people and had them back competing in no time, certainly worth the investment.

Just for my own interests, does that op hinder a medical?

Oh and have a glass of good red now and again and make out it is good for you. Nev

Works for me. Still on the right side of 105 and looking forward to many more good reds ... in moderation of course.

rgmwa

• Like 2

Right. . .that's it then,. . .I shall, henceforth sally onwards and visit the maidens at ye olde colonial wine purveyor, and therein purloin a flagon of Best Red Ned Nev. . . . . . .

• Like 1

Processed food definitely plays a big role but I think the biggest problem is soft drinks and beer. Occasionally (maybe one once a week) would be okay but it seems in a lot of cases sugary drinks are more often used as water than a treat.I haven't weighed myself for a while but I was 120, I've been having a bit of a go at getting fitter but I'm not game to step on the scales as I might give up out of hopelessness or give up because I've done so well lol.

I feel your pain mate,. . . . . I can't weigh myself either, . . not until I find a discount supermarket which sells Industrial strength scales. . . . .

Phil

• Like 1

Right. . .that's it then,. . .I shall, henceforth sally onwards and visit the maidens at ye olde colonial wine purveyor, and therein purloin a flagon of Best Red Ned Nev. . . . . . .

Phil, from your constant references to the product of Barossa Valley, I think it's fairly evident that you don't need anyone to tell you to have a glass of red... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

...(unless of course you just want an excuse to sally forth and visit yon grog-dealing maidens.)

Phil, from your constant references to the product of Barossa Valley, I think it's fairly evident that you don't need anyone to tell you to have a glass of red... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif...(unless of course you just want an excuse to sally forth and visit yon grog-dealing maidens.)

You have a habit of hitting the nail correctly young Marty me boy,. . . . . . Yes,. . . I admit freely that I have a Drink Problem. . . . . . .the problem is that I've got Two Arms, but only ONE mouth. . . . . .there's got to be a way. . . . . Anyway, I'll have my cashpoint card already jammed into the machine at the local cornershop off-license, ( "Laurel and Dean's Drinks Machine ") at three minutes to Nine next Wednesday morning ( Pension Day . . .Yipppeeeeee ) waiting for the " Ding" which changes the balance from "Insufficient funds available " to a more friendly message such as. . ."Jacob's Creek Products are now available aplenty" . . . .

P ( hic) hil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

You have a habit of hitting the nail correctly young Marty me boy,. . . . . . Yes,. . . I admit freely that I have a Drink Problem. . . . . . .the problem is that I've got Two Arms, but only ONE mouth. . . . . .there's got to be a way. . . . . Anyway, I'll have my cashpoint card already jammed into the machine at the local cornershop off-license, ( "Laurel and Dean's Drinks Machine ") at three minutes to Nine next Wednesday morning ( Pension Day . . .Yipppeeeeee ) waiting for the " Ding" which changes the balance from "Insufficient funds available " to a more friendly message such as. . ."Jacob's Creek Products are now available aplenty" . . . .P ( hic) hil.

I have a drinking problem too - there's not enough time to!

WE keep the best here for local use, where the conoysier in us comes to the fore. I actually ran and owned unfortunately) a wine grape vineyard. Not my choice to do that but that is how it worked out. All my red rootstock was from the Barossa. (Shiraz) and got top price for it. Shiraz is known internationally as Syrah, and I think it is hard to beat in the reds.. I felt I was repaying for what I had consumed over the years. Picked 75 tonnes one night, (mechanically) with about 9 in the team working from eight till six. Nev

• Informative 1