Wind turbines

A new complex of wind turbines is to be erected in the SW slope of the Liverpool Range. NSW approves 1,000MW Liverpool Range wind farm in New England

While I'm very happy to see such progress, pilots (and birds) need to be aware of this new obstruction. Our Nav. charts seem to be updated at glacial speed; there is still no warning of the enormous blades near Glenn Innes, but there are notices about the ones near Milla Milla.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty tall at between 130 & 160 metres from the base to the tip of the rotor at the top & there are even bigger ones in the pipeline coming in at 240 metres, That is 787 feet so don't fly round at 500 feet when these things are there. They are pretty easy to see though unlike radio masts that are much higher and very difficult to see.

Are there any "prop wash" issues with these things? How close can you fly behind them?

As they are designed to absorb energy from the wind to create electricckery and not create thrust, I don't see it being an issue.

As they are designed to absorb energy from the wind to create electricckery and not create thrust, I don't see it being an issue.

I've deliberately flown right behind them to test that. Wasn't blowing really hard, just brisk wind conditions, but only a small ripple of turbulence..... Very visible, and unlike wires or towers easy to judge distance, so can't imagine flying into one.....

I've deliberately flown right behind them to test that. Wasn't blowing really hard, just brisk wind conditions, but only a small ripple of turbulence..... Very visible, and unlike wires or towers easy to judge distance, so can't imagine flying into one.....

Just a shame that they are such an eyesore.

Until we catch up with current power demands and lower costs and introduce the wind solar tech in staged steps without destroying our base load.

At least with a coal power plant the runway lights will work at night and you don't have to burn $80,000 dollars of diesel fuel "a day" to keep some power on in SA with back up generators.

Sorry - just don't understand the way Australia works any more. Sorry for the drift.

Wind Farms + Solar Farms (PV & Mirror/molten salt) + pumped hydro & batteries & you have a complete solution. Base Load is a myth, it's peak demand that is the issue. Coal & nuclear take weeks to get going & the output continues unabated even when there is little demand. That's why the spot price goes to umpteen thousands of dollars per MWH. Coal is dirty & the technology dead. No-one will finance coal anymore (other than stupid governments).

So true, KG.

Now the extreme Right have set up the Monash Forum. As GetUp says, it has a clear mission: national energy policy that slams the brakes on renewables and backs new coal-burning power plants instead.

Giant coal corporations have money to burn. They have the Murdoch media on their side. And, not content with polluting our air and water, the coal lobby is now polluting our democracy with its very own faction in our national parliament.

The founding members of the Monash Forum are people like Tony Abbott, Craig Kelly, George Christensen, Eric Abetz and Kevin Andrews. We've all seen these names before. We know these guys won't be satisfied until every politician in our Parliament sprinkles coal dust on their cornflakes and pledges eternal allegiance to the fossil fuel lobby. -

We are in the Midnorth of South Australia, where windfarms are growing like weeds. (And we have the highest retail prices in the world). Plans have just been lodged for yet another one in the Southern Flinders Ranges, the nearest turbine being only 3.5 Km from the main street of Crystal Brook and 2 Km from the edge of town. The development application calls for 4.8 Megawatt turbines, 240 metres from ground to top of blade arc. They are approx. 3 times taller than the hills they will sit on. If this goes ahead we will not be out of sight of wind turbines for the first 100 Km of our drive to Adelaide. Sure, we need renewable energy but where will it all end? General Electric have already developed a 12 Megawatt turbine for offshore use, but about 5 years ago their 4.8 Mw turbine was the largest offshore unit - now used on land.

I routinely overfly turbines, but want at least 500 feet clearance. Looks like I'll have to fly higher in future!

Interestingly, the Snowtown windfarm often has low cloud downwind, reaching to ground level of the hills. Does the turbulence cause precipitation of moisture? The low cloud only extends to the end of the row of turbines.

So true, KG.Now the extreme Right have set up the Monash Forum. As GetUp says, it has a clear mission: national energy policy that slams the brakes on renewables and backs new coal-burning power plants instead.Giant coal corporations have money to burn. They have the Murdoch media on their side. And, not content with polluting our air and water, the coal lobby is now polluting our democracy with its very own faction in our national parliament.

The founding members of the Monash Forum are people like Tony Abbott, Craig Kelly, George Christensen, Eric Abetz and Kevin Andrews. We've all seen these names before. We know these guys won't be satisfied until every politician in our Parliament sprinkles coal dust on their cornflakes and pledges eternal allegiance to the fossil fuel lobby. -

I hear the Monash family are pretty unhappy with this group using their name for such a backward environmentally disastrous looking proposal. I bet they all have shares in the coal industry.

I hear the Monash family are pretty unhappy with this group using their name for such a backward environmentally disastrous looking proposal. I bet they all have shares in the coal industry.

Before and after he was Australia's greatest and most innovative military leader, Sir John Monash was an engineer who would have supported coal-burning power stations as the solution for those times.Today Australia is sadly short of people like him.

If he was still with us I bet he'd support phasing out the dirty old coal burners.

Basically in summary the turbine slows the wind down as it uses some of the winds energy to generate electricity and wake turbulance occurs up to 5 rotor diameters down stream so that would be 500 metres if the blade diameter is 100 metres but the effect is less than normal turbulence found in day to day flying conditions. Doesn't seem to be an issue to me as I am not likely to fly lower than the height of these things if I am that close just as I don't fly lower than radio masts either.

My base is surrounded by wind turbines on the Eastern side of Lake George. Prevailing wind is N/W so mostly the downstream turbulence is to the East. When Easterlies blow then the effects can be felt as a slow modulus rise and fall with some rolling effects. This turbulence endures for km downwind but is no more than a nuisance to flying. Situational awareness is required but, as said previously, the towers and blades are much more visible than radio towers. They bring useful income to the people who own the property and I strongly believe that envy of this income is the generator (sic) of the opposition to wind farms . And NO I don't find them ugly, quite the contrary in fact.

the coal in the ground is worth nothing if there is no market for it, especially the brown coal.

Coal and other hydrocarbons will always be great sources of awesome materials like graphene; why do we just burn them?

Wind turbines? Recreational flying?

Last time I looked , wind turbines didn't do much flying.

They are very graceful though - all turning in synchronism.

Wind turbines? Recreational flying?Last time I looked , wind turbines didn't do much flying.They are very graceful though - all turning in synchronism.

You'd think they'd turn half of them the other way...

I can't see how any aircraft lover wouldn't like the look of a giant prop complete with spinner slowly revolving.

Maybe they could make the turbine housing in the shape of various types of single prop aircraft, to improve their look?