Getting closer to thinking about doing the wiring. There will be a whole bunch of questions down the track but my first is pretty simple. I'm using basic LED 'strobe' wingtip lights on my Bushcat that came with the kit. I want to keep things as simple as possible- 

Is there any need to have a switch for that circuit? 

I'm happy for it to come on with the master switch and it share a breaker with something else.

You should have a dedicated switch due to electrical power drain at times when it is not wanted such as when engine is off and at low rpm.

At idle and low rpm the engine may not be able to supply 100% power to systems and this can drain the battery.

In an emergency where the engine is failing to provide any electrical power, everything will be running off the battery so non essential systems should be able to be shut down to conserve battery life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

If they are LEDs as they should be these days the power drain is miniscule and they don't cause radio interference like the horrible units of old which then required supressing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If your aircraft is RAA registered - the fitting of Nav/Landing Lights is not a requirement AND the effectiveness (as a visibility enhancer) of the same, in VFR conditions, is documented as being  poor/ineffective BUT I acknowledge the fun factor of having the very same item as the big boys on the Checklist. 

One other point - I agree the current draw of LED's is low but the need for additional wiring/switching etc, is an added complexity (small) that has no real benefit other than to ego - so why ?.

• Agree 2

Back when learning to fly, the little LSA50 I learn't in could generally only be located in the sky by that flash on the tail.. The little white plane would just dissapear in our wide open sky

It sounds like you want to see the aircraft from the ground - that's where the lights have the most visual impact BUT for safety you need to be able to see them from another aircraft AND that's just where they dont have much effect for day VFR conditions. 

Note; I am emphasizing day VFR conditions - lights work well in the dark & low light but the science will tell you they are just a feel good accessory (nothing wrong with that) in the sort of conditions that RAA aircraft are supposed to be operating in

• Like 1

If your aircraft is RAA registered - the fitting of Nav/Landing Lights is not a requirement AND the effectiveness (as a visibility enhancer) of the same, in VFR conditions, is documented as being  poor/ineffective BUT I acknowledge the fun factor of having the very same item as the big boys on the Checklist. 

One other point - I agree the current draw of LED's is low but the need for additional wiring/switching etc, is an added complexity (small) that has no real benefit other than to ego - so why ?.

I figured they don't do a lot but in my case it came with the kit and if i don't fit them then I'll have two clear wingtips with no purpose so I'm gonna throw them in anyway ?

• Like 1

Decent strobing lights DO work. You have little else making a thing like a Jab visible when directly behind or in front of it. Polished metal wings work if there's some sunlight. and you are banking in a turn. Any aerodrome that has strobing lead in lights is of immense value when flying in smoke,mist or thin Fog( Marginal VFR)  Biggies turn them on below 10.000 ft as a requirement but you sometimes turn them off in cloud at night as it reflects back from it and doesn't help your night vision. Nev

• Like 1

It sounds like you want to see the aircraft from the ground - that's where the lights have the most visual impact BUT for safety you need to be able to see them from another aircraft AND that's just where they dont have much effect for day VFR conditions. 

Note; I am emphasizing day VFR conditions - lights work well in the dark & low light but the science will tell you they are just a feel good accessory (nothing wrong with that) in the sort of conditions that RAA aircraft are supposed to be operating in

We need to be seen and even better than wingtip strobes are wig-wags widely spaced on the wing leading edges. 

On a bright day you notice them from many miles away.

Strobes are far more effective and landing lights as well but the landing lights are often big users of electrical power and get hot if left on on the ground . These are never going to befitted to most U/L's. "Piddling " little lights are not very effective, and probably not worth running the wires through the wing to. Nev

Strobes are far more effective and landing lights as well but the landing lights are often big users of electrical power and get hot if left on on the ground . These are never going to befitted to most U/L's. "Piddling " little lights are not very effective, and probably not worth running the wires through the wing to. Nev

Nev I agree that some "piddling" little lights are ineffective, but rapid advances in LEDs mean even our little aeroplanes can have bright lights. My wingtip strobes, a Wig wags and landing lights draw so little power that I tend to leave them on.

I figured they don't do a lot but in my case it came with the kit and if i don't fit them then I'll have two clear wingtips with no purpose so I'm gonna throw them in anyway ?

Good point !

Decent strobing lights DO work. You have little else making a thing like a Jab visible when directly behind or in front of it. Polished metal wings work if there's some sunlight. and you are banking in a turn. Any aerodrome that has strobing lead in lights is of immense value when flying in smoke,mist or thin Fog( Marginal VFR)  Biggies turn them on below 10.000 ft as a requirement but you sometimes turn them off in cloud at night as it reflects back from it and doesn't help your night vision. Nev

Nev! Nev! If we keep to the topic ,little lights on a little VFR day aircraft, the all the research says they are of little value to aircraft to aircraft visibility. Agreed they work when viewed from the ground but how useful is that?

I have been assisted by the strobe on a control tower,so yes when you are already looking in the general direction but cant quite make out the target in the ground clutter, air to ground works but thats not  much help to our sport aircraft builder.

Getting closer to thinking about doing the wiring. There will be a whole bunch of questions down the track but my first is pretty simple. I'm using basic LED 'strobe' wingtip lights on my Bushcat that came with the kit. I want to keep things as simple as possible- 

Is there any need to have a switch for that circuit? 

I'm happy for it to come on with the master switch and it share a breaker with something else.

The rotating beacon and nav lights, normally turn on when electrics are turned on for the start up checks, and this gives time for people in the parking area to see that the prop will be turning and the aircraft will be moving shortly. The strobes on GA aircraft are normally turned on at 500 feet and off departing the runway, so they don't blind other pilots. The strobes fitted to RA aircraft aren't as bright so you could follow beacon practice if you wanted to.

In the air aircraft to aircraft ?????

From the frontal quadrant I believe decent wig wags are more noticeable than my Kuntzelman wingtip strobes, which would not be as bright as GA strobes, as Turbs points out.

On a club run, an air traffic controller reported seeing the wig wags on an approaching Sling from at least ten miles; he noticed the similar, but fixed LL of a Bristell much later.

From the frontal quadrant I believe decent wig wags are more noticeable than my Kuntzelman wingtip strobes, which would not be as bright as GA strobes, as Turbs points out.

On a club run, an air traffic controller reported seeing the wig wags on an approaching Sling from at least ten miles; he noticed the similar, but fixed LL of a Bristell much later.

No dispute from the GROUND but that's not what I have been saying, its the AIR to AIR visibility that  has an impact on safety.

No dispute from the GROUND but that's not what I have been saying, its the AIR to AIR visibility that  has an impact on safety.

You are talking about the low powered strobes fitted to RA Aircraft; pretty much a waste of time.

I totally agree, Skip. From the tower, the controller noticed the wig wags at least ten miles; we were only about two thousand feet higher, so the angle would have been similar to air-to-air. Can't comment on whether they'd be easier to see against distant ground or sky.

I also agree that cheaper wingtip strobes like mine are not as noticeable as I'd like, but are sure better than nothing.