Winton Grasshopper

Hi All!

Have aquired myself a Winton Grasshopper and although it's going to undergo a rebuild before it flies again, I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has expierience with one or presently owns one, the usual things to look for ect.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I had one once. I bought with the intention of a rebuild, but the more I looked, the more I found wrong with it and I gave it away. I never liked the wire bracing on them. I thought the strut bracing that Winton used on the Grasshopper 2000 was a much better idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All!Have aquired myself a Winton Grasshopper and although it's going to undergo a rebuild before it flies again, I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has expierience with one or presently owns one, the usual things to look for ect.

Thanks in advance!

Before you go fly it please get some instruction and sound advice as you may not be round long enough to become "OldGrasshopper"

• Agree 2

I have an original Winton jackaroo

Flyerme is that a recent photo of the Jackaroo and recent restoration or an old pic of how it was sold by Col, the wing looks very interesting and just wondering with some slight mods this could be adapted to go on the B1rd, they double skinned the wings in the states and got more speed but stall speed went up also. The condition of that Jackaroo is amazing and are they black max rims on the wheels.

I happen to know where there is one in Qld, Gympie actually, has seen better days and sitting out in the weather with cheap plastic tarp over it.

What's the go with the two Chinooks in the background?

I have an original Winton jackaroo

Flyerme is that a recent photo of the Jackaroo and recent restoration or an old pic of how it was sold by Col, the wing looks very interesting and just wondering with some slight mods this could be adapted to go on the B1rd, they double skinned the wings in the states and got more speed but stall speed went up also. The condition of that Jackaroo is amazing and are they black max rims on the wheels.

What's the go with the two Chinooks in the background?

Two, you have better eyes than me, there is one on the trailer and do you think that is a chinook in front of the container, I know that the fuse was up for sale, in fact it was offered to me for free once, there is a set of wings from it hanging up in a shed a few miles from the fuse, the guy who owns the shed also has a complete Chinook in an old covered trailer and is for sale at the right price.

Yes mate, recent pic as restoring currently. Was originally red. Slightly modified. Ie- tyro pod. And custom control column. Wings are alloy , fibreglass and fabric. ... Was in very poor condition when purchased but now like new.sports all new hardware throughout,cables etc.. Has the original robin EC44 And just got a prop from a forum member.. Not a lot left- ailerons connected, new windscreen to purchase and some gauges and done..Black Betty will be ready for movie :)

• Informative 1

Yes mate, recent pic as restoring currently.

Well Flyerme it is looking fantastic and I do like that black sheen, have often thought of doing black but have been put off as others have said it degrades faster than other colours, another factor to take into consideration is should you have an outlanding, ( my term for safely getting back to earth in any place other from where you left. ) is spotability from the air, I have chose a Neon Orange maybe white a white trim, the orange looks awesome on the wheels.

Have been looking into the wing design of the Jackaroo but no luck yet on sketch's or plans as I wanna investigate the possible double skinning my wings, can you assist here maybe, yes I know that will make it non original but I haven't committed to anything yet.

Well Flyerme it is looking fantastic and I do like that black sheen, have often thought of doing black but have been put off as others have said it degrades faster than other colours, another factor to take into consideration is should you have an outlanding, ( my term for safely getting back to earth in any place other from where you left. ) is spotability from the air, I have chose a Neon Orange maybe white a white trim, the orange looks awesome on the wheels.Have been looking into the wing design of the Jackaroo but no luck yet on sketch's or plans as I wanna investigate the possible double skinning my wings, can you assist here maybe, yes I know that will make it non original but I haven't committed to anything yet.

Yeh I'll PM you copy of the wing plans ( pretty sure their around here somewhere?) next few days..... tyro are the same. Almost identical minus the anti flip over front wheel. The Black is done for movie and it will actually suffer an out landing ;) all in the book " The Diary of Jack Flyer" ( and thread on here).

• 6 months later...
Before you go fly it please get some instruction and sound advice as you may not be round long enough to become "OldGrasshopper"

I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking haha!

But yes most certainly want to be as familiar as possible with the Grasshopper as possible before I take her up, but it's not exactly a short term rebuild.

First tick in the book will be the slow speed endorsement, after all they aren't quick.

I've heard from a few people that Grasshoppers had a tendency to refuse to roll wings level if you exceeded 15 degrees bank too

• 3 months later...
Hi All!Have aquired myself a Winton Grasshopper and although it's going to undergo a rebuild before it flies again, I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has expierience with one or presently owns one, the usual things to look for ect.

Thanks in advance!

I own three of them i love the little buggers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi YoungGrasshopper,

If the one you just bought has a round tube trailing edge and a welded aluminium aileron, then it is one of the 13 I built

waaay back. I just heard from someone who bought one of my "Stingrays" and it is as good a new inside.

Send me some pics and I can tell you exactly what to do.

raytol at tpg dot com dot au

Ray

• Winner 1