How much of ERSA do you need to be legal?

Guest burbles1

Guest burbles1

I've read in a couple of posts that you need to carry ERSA as well as charts to be legal now. So, how much of ERSA do you need to be able to say you have ERSA onboard? Can I download several pages from the FAC section that are relevant to my flight? Or do I also need to download the emergency procedures section? Or do I need to fork out for the whole printed version? Makes me wonder a bit, because ERSA is freely available online and I haven't found a statement saying what is required.

Realy, didnt know that, i only take it if going on a Nav, the whole book.What happens if you are only doing circuits, or a local flight.If i have to take it, i will just throw it into the luggage compartment with all the other crap.lol

Guest magcheck

CAR233 states"

(h)the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information and instructions, published in AIP or by a person approved in writing, that are applicable:

(i)to the route to be flown; and

(ii) to any alternative route that may be flown on that flight;

are carried in the aircraft and are readily accessible to the flight crew.

CAR 233

In AIP GEN 0.1 - 5 (para 9 page 5) its says to meet CAR233 that you need ".....ERSA" for the route being flown

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/pending/aip/gen/gen01_1-6.pdf

So I think there is some flexibility

Guest Howard Hughes

The route being flown would include all possible alternates along that route, not just the arrival and departure aerodrome!:thumb_up:

Guest burbles1
The route being flown would include all possible alternates along that route, not just the arrival and departure aerodrome!:thumb_up:

I see that alternates only applies to IFR flights. So it sounds like I could download only those pages for the relevant airfields along my route.

If i have to take it, i will just throw it into the luggage compartment with all the other crap.lol

One day you might need to refer to it dazza - bit hard to read in the luggage compartment:ah_oh:

Pud

Guest Howard Hughes
I see that alternates only applies to IFR flights.

Huh?

Cloud forecast below 1500 feet, or visibility of less than 8 km = Alternate(*)

No forecast (or provisional forecast) for a destination in excess of 50 miles = Alternate(#)

Crosswind in excess of that specified for your aircraft = Alternate (%)

Disabled aircraft on runway at destination = Alternate

Sudden changes in weather conditions enroute = Alternate

Sudden changes in weather at destination = Alternate

Greater than anticipated fuel burn enroute = Alternate

Mechanical failure = Alternate

And this is only a few of the possibilities, none of which have anything to do with IFR...;)

So it sounds like I could download only those pages for the relevant airfields along my route.

Now you're talking!:thumb_up:

Cheers, HH.

(*) Source= AIP Enroute scetion 58.2.13

(#) Source = AIP Enroute section 58.1.3

(%) Source = AIP Enroute section 58.2.1 D

Guest Howard Hughes

BlackRod, I think that is a great suggestion!:thumb_up:

Some flight planning software is able to print out all the information that you will need, some even do maps! Otherwise all the information is available free (for the time being) from the Airservices website!

I download and print the pages relevant to my flight, and have even laminated a few that I use commonly - I can then add personal notes on them, vary the size etc, and makes heading for an alternate really easy, just pull out the page you need and clip it on the knee board, no balancing bulky books

Peter

I hate dragging it around but it has been used in anger a few times

Think simple stuff like "Busting for a leak-alternate"

Need height, circut direction, freq and CTAF freq of random airfield youve never been to.

I thought you needed a planned alternate inc adequate fuel, if the airfield you are headed to doesnt have Metdata for period you are arriving.

How far in the back - consider the B part of W&B.

Hi Jcamp, i will weigh the book, to make sure im still in balance.

Joking aside, i take the whole book, main reason is that, apart from alternates, you might decide to land somewhere else, it comes in handy.Even if flying locally- example- lets just say that where you normally fly from only has one strip. Like -boonah, and on the way home, the winds get up, like here westerlies, we have a few airfields around within 45 minutes. Whip out the ERSA, flick through the airfields, check the runway headings, find the most in to the wind , land and sit it out.Could be anything, storms etc. Most of us know the headings of most local fields and frequencys,, but we cant remember them all and their specific procedures, and things change. It is a very important book to have in the a/c, doenst weigh much either.cheers:wave:

Hi Pud, im sure i wont be needing it, if flying circuits.LOL:big_grin:

;) No worries dazza:big_grin:, Just remember to keep your circuits nice and tight now - wouldn't want you straying into unfamiliar territory:help:

Pud

Folks,

As well as aerodrome information, there is a lot of "good gen" in the ERSA. In my view, it is the most important book you should have available, and current. In the overall scheme of things, it is not really all that expensive.

Buy at least one copy complete, and have a good look at all the info. available, and remember you are not exempt from the rules about having necessary data "on board" for each flight.

Regards,

Most useful in flight in a trike especially when it gets rough 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif right

bit more weight smooths the ride 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Pages as they tear and get blow away and shreaded probably clean the bugs of the prop too:hittinghead:

Reference.

There is a hell of a lot of good information in ERSA, but I have never had the time to read it in flight. I would brush up on it periodically but the aerodrome details that I must know to use the aerodrome safely. I precis during the flight planning stage. The book is too unweildy to use on your knee and you would have to highlight the relevant features to get the best effectiveness for each individual as we are all different, the way we do things. A flight plan after all is a working document produced from various charts and maps, weather forecasts and notams, operations manuals, knowledge of AIP's.etc. Is the content of ERSA essentially special insomuch as it can only be referred to from the actual document? I hope not. Nev

I carry me ERSA in the Jab pretty much at all times, in the Drifter - well you don't go interstate in five minutes.... so I just print out the PDF of the airfields in the area I'm generally heading.

It's worth buying the full copy as Bill said, some great information in there. And some form of (up to date) ERSA is required for trips over 50nm (from what I understand).