X-Air Hanuman

Geoff13

I am still looking at and dreaming about my own aircraft.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Xair Hanuman.

There are not a lot about but I have found one that interests me.

We were looking a a Quicksilver, but with the bosses Fibromyalgia it could be difficult on bad days for her to get in and out of. So now I am looking for something in the more conventional side by side set up. I am still restricted by carrying capacity as I am not your standard 80 odd kgs 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif, and between the 2 of us we easily make 200.

I am looking at the cheaper end as I am worried that as my experience grows so to will my wants and needs.

So we come to the Xair Hanuman. Any experiences please?

The one I am looking at has a Jab engine, which bothers me but if the price is right I would upgrade it to the Camit version. Thought please.

Cheers Geoff13

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still looking at and dreaming about my own aircraft.Does anyone on here have any experience with the Xair Hanuman.

We were looking a a Quicksilver, but with the bosses Fibromyalgia it could be difficult on bad days for her to get in and out of. So now I am looking for something in the more conventional side by side set up. I am still restricted by carrying capacity as I am not your standard 80 odd kgs 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif, and between the 2 of us we easily make 200.

I am looking at the cheaper end as I am worried that as my experience grows so to will my wants and needs.

The one I am looking at has a Jab engine, which bothers me but if the price is right I would upgrade it to the Camit version. Thought please.

Cheers Geoff13

GDay Geoff

I own & fly a Hanuman. If you would like some info on it I would be happy to help out.

Cheers

• Caution 1

Hi xairvtw

What motor do you have, what is the carrying capaciity? How do you find it for size/comfort.?

Would it fit two reasonable adults? How long have you had yours and how many hours have you done?

Would you buy another or something different if you were to do it all again?

Cheers Geoff13

I am still looking at and dreaming about my own aircraft.Does anyone on here have any experience with the Xair Hanuman.

Cheers Geoff13

If the D motor was priced a bit more competitively it would be a good option as well then there's the option of a second hand 912 with hrs remaining 100hp would be handy

Hi xairvtwWhat motor do you have, what is the carrying capaciity? How do you find it for size/comfort.?

Would it fit two reasonable adults? How long have you had yours and how many hours have you done?

Would you buy another or something different if you were to do it all again?

Cheers Geoff13

I run a Jabiru 2200 has 66 hours TTIS. Cockpit size is good & comfortable good leg room has adjustable seats. Fits 2 adults easy Im 87 kg my mate is 96 kg plane has no problem getting off the ground. I have had mine since 2009 took me 2 1/2 yrs to build that was on & off due to family & work commitments.15153057456_66d3b88d54_k.jpg.5f19dd681266f67a47774d4ec9ab9105.jpg Would I build another Xair yes I would.

100_5810.JPG.c204087da2aa491240d1a9d7880e822e.JPG

100_5811.JPG.3df3e4c43ba7fd1440178078f2ecb247.JPG

So with the Jabiru @2750 revs is that about 75% power.

That is a higher cruise speed than even the manufacturer suggests.

Most plane seems to have overstated specs don't tell me that these guys actually understate their figures.

Although they do suggest 11lph hour, so I guess there is always a price to pay.

Cheers Geoff13

• Winner 1

So with the Jabiru @2750 revs is that about 75% power.That is a higher cruise speed than even the manufacturer suggests.

Most plane seems to have overstated specs don't tell me that these guys actually understate their figures.

Although they do suggest 11lph hour, so I guess there is always a price to pay.

Cheers Geoff13

11 lph is not possible for a 2200, the Jab manual states between 17 - 17.6 ltr @ 2750rpm. With the Xair whether your rpm is 2850 or 2750 there is no increase in speed or fuel burn. The digital instruments are nice to have the only problem is they are sensitive to any slight change compared to normal gauges. Different builders get different results it all comes down to how they build, how they set up engine & prop combination. I can only go by what I have done & what I have achieved. I find with the Jabiru I spent a lot of my test hours working on the cooling intakes & the ram air induction. with any engine the worst enemy is heat.100_7770.JPG.40bf78d418f221f2263986e2e6cc5d79.JPG

The only thing that bothers me with that dash is power failure, if you lose one you lose them all.

I think I would rather keep my airspeed and altimeter as old school.

I think you have convinced me to go look at this one that I have my eye on.

It has an emergency back up power if the main power is interrupted. I also have a backup ASI which also has a backup power system. Thats all you need for this type of aircraft. You can here the engine to estimate what rpm your doing. Very forgiving aircraft to fly. Hope this helps you out

• 2 weeks later...
11 lph is not possible for a 2200, the Jab manual states between 17 - 17.6 ltr @ 2750rpm. With the Xair whether your rpm is 2850 or 2750 there is no increase in speed or fuel burn. The digital instruments are nice to have the only problem is they are sensitive to any slight change compared to normal gauges. Different builders get different results it all comes down to how they build, how they set up engine & prop combination. I can only go by what I have done & what I have achieved. I find with the Jabiru I spent a lot of my test hours working on the cooling intakes & the ram air induction. with any engine the worst enemy is heat.[ATTACH=full]31880[/ATTACH]

I like the air speed shown on the digital ASI 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif in this photo! That's my kind of velocity.

• Caution 1

I run a Jabiru 2200 has 66 hours TTIS. Cockpit size is good & comfortable good leg room has adjustable seats. Fits 2 adults easy Im 87 kg my mate is 96 kg plane has no problem getting off the ground. I have had mine since 2009 took me 2 1/2 yrs to build that was on & off due to family & work commitments.[ATTACH=full]31858[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]31859[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]31860[/ATTACH] Would I build another Xair yes I would.

This aircraft in my view, is as good as one could possibly build it.

I've seen it in the flesh and if you saw it, you'd fall in in love, as I did.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Caution 1

This aircraft in my view, is as good as one could possibly build it.I've seen it in the flesh and if you saw it, you'd fall in in love, as I did.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Kind Regards

Planey

Thank you Planey for you kind comments I appreciate it. I plan on being at Wedderburn in November hope to see you there again.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

So to revive an old thread.

I finally did buy an X-air Hanuman. It has the Jab 2200 motor and to be honest the performance to me is quite disappointing.

I felt that I was always flying it on the CHT gauges and so long as they weren't moving then it was ok but to get them to start climbing you only had to lift the nose a fraction. Cruise speed is good with an indicated 80 Knots but I do intend to check the calibration of the ASI as I think it is reading a bit high. But the climb rate is nothing short of abysmal. Admittedly every time I have flown it, it has been hot but 100 to 200 feet per minute climb after flying the Foxbat just does not do it for me.

The bonus is that I bought it at a fair price and with the kit to convert it to a Rotax that had already been ordered from the supplier being readdressed to send it direct to me. It arrived in Brisbane today and should be delivered next week.

So of course being me over the last few weeks I have looked at several alternatives.

1. Get the cooling sorted and rebuild the current motor with all the mods done.

2. Get the cooling sorted and fit a new Camit motor.

I have found someone who I believe is more than capable of sorting the cooling for me so both of these options are possible.

3. As I purchased the plane with a kit to convert it to the 912, obviously I could buy a good 2nd hand 912 and fit it.

4. For the same reason of the kit I could buy a new 912 and fit that.

5 The piece de resistance, fit a D-Motor. Currently there are 2 D-motors that I know of in Australia. Neither are flying yet. There are however 4 Hanumans flying in Europe with these motors, including the first prototype 93 hp and water cooled but lighter than a Jab/Camit. And before anyone says it, twice in my life I have been the first to do something and both times it worked out very well for me. So being a pioneer whilst in most peoples opinions would be a huge negative, in my case is quite the opposite and almost became the deciding factor.

So 5 options. Which way to go. I am also working to a rather stiff self imposed deadline and this became important in my final decision. The reason for that deadline may or may not become obvious in a later thread. That will depend on circumstances way beyond my own control. At this stage I can only control my end and let the rest take care of itself. So suffice to say if it all goes well you may here more from me on a different subject.

Choice 1. The 2nd cheapest option.

I do not like the performance of the J motor but that could be improved with an improvement to the cooling. If the cooling improvements do not work then there is always the option of fitting Rotec water cooled heads and a radiator for the loss of about 5 kgs. With the current restrictions on J motors even though the only change for a 19 reg is the passengers declaration, the damage to the Jab name and the cost of the motor being so close to Camit this option was simply a non starter. All up cost with the air cooling problems solved buy the first try $16,000. If the air cooling failed then water cooling on top of that would be an extra $3,500

Choice 2. The 3rd Cheapest option. Again performance questionable but possibly sorted with good cooling and/or water cooled heads. This probably would have won the battle but for my self imposed deadline. To date 2 weeks after my initial inquiries and I will admit due to reasons beyond there own control I can't nail down a delivery date. All up cost with the air cooling problems solved buy the first try $17,000. If the air cooling failed then water cooling on top of that would be an extra $3,500

Choice 4. In case you missed it I left one out that should give a clue. So choice 4 the new Rotax. Well as I bought this aircraft to have an intended life span of 12 months albeit that I have a distinct plan for it over that period I simply cannot justify the cost. As much as I would love to have a brand new known quantity up in front of me there has to be a fair cost involved. $25 plus K just can't be justified. All up cost approx $27,000.

Choice 5 The D-Motor. What I wouldn't give to be first for the 3rd time in my life. I am convinced that these motors will succeed. I believe that they will need to drop the price until they create a market to do so (especially in a very critical Australian market) but I think they will see that themselves down the track. I would love one of these motors. They work extremely well in Europe according to the people that I have spoken to. They have there own prop designed to utilize the characteristics of the motor. Albeit at a cost. These aircraft are getting 8 to 10 knots better airspeed and 10-15% better economy than anything in Australia with these motor/prop combinations. However there were just enough questions that were not answered suitably to stop me going this way. If I had enough money to go this way and still utilize one of the other options if it all went belly up, I would certainly have let my heart rule my head and given it a run. Do not get me wrong I actually trust the local dealer and would like to have gone this way but if I fronted with this much and then there were delays I would not have been left with an alternative. Remember I am on a self imposed deadline. This option still comes in under the cost of the new Rotax even though it obviously does carry a risk. All up cost approx $23,000. But the risk of purchasing from O/S and ongoing backup.

Choice 3. And obviously this is the way I have decided to go. The 2nd hand Rotax. This is without doubt the cheapest and the safest option and that really bugs me. I simply cannot remember the last time that I went with the cheapest or safest option. But in keeping with the concept of buy a cheap aircraft fly it for 12 months and try everything else in the meantime this is the right way to go. All up cost approx $10,000. Hopefully this choice will get me in the air with a reliable motor in the shortest/most economical time. This is in keeping with my plan of a cheaper short term aircraft that will still do what I want over the next 12 months. It was also supported by the fact that the Rotax conversion kit arrived in Brisbane today subject to customs and delivery.

If as I suspect may happen, this aircraft grows on me, it could be for sale in 12 months, and so long as no-one else beats me to it I could decide to build another with a D-Motor. I think they could almost be the perfect combination for a home built aircraft of this type. If I do decide to do that you can all be certain that the next one will be predominately YELLOW. I would like to point out that of all the aircraft that I looked at this was the only one that did not have any yellow on it. People who know me will understand how difficult a decision that must have been for me. It will never happen again.

If you have gotten this far thank you for humoring me. I shall give further updates, but not being one to let the grass grow I hope to have her back in the air in 3 weeks. Although having said that she has 96.2 hours on the clock it would be uncool to replace the motor without that figure being a neat 100.0 wouldn't it? Maybe I need to fly her for 3.8 more hours before tearing her to pieces.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The engine swap out is progressing slowly.

Jab motor gone.

Complete kit for 912 installed and first fit of motor done. Placement of radiator, oil cooler and muffler in progress.

Work to start on cowl on Monday.

My initial hope of 3 weeks is starting to look like a pipe dream, but I still hope to have it ready for a possible first start by the end of next week.

I am waiting on a few gauges etc but you never know what could happen.

I did save myself at least a weeks work by not having to drop the main pod. On a whim I decided to undo the main supporting upright pole before removing the screen and pod and lo and behold it just dropped straight through the bottom of the old Jab mount assembly. That certainly made removing the mount and fitting the new one much easier than anticipated.

There is a problem with some of the kit not being correct and needing some modification but I will see if we can work a way around that.The amount of help and encouragement that I have been receiving from total strangers is absolutely amazing. Like the nose wheel bush being the wrong internal diameter and someone just there to help another mate on his plane taking a look and saying just stick it in the back of the ute m8 I'll take it home tonight and drop it back in the morning for you. I would have had to find an engineering shop and waited days for that one alone.

Having a ball atm and if it wasn't for my self imposed deadline I would probably be enjoying it even more.

I haven't taken many photos but will try and get some over the next couple of days.

I have the Hawk/ hanuman with a 912 fitted burns 12ltrs an hour 2 up and as as been said a very forgiving plane to fly

You wouldn't have any photos of the Radiator/Oil cooler/muffler set up would you William?

Geoff - very keen to see how you go with this one. I loved the look of that plane, but you seem to be now alleviating the only concern I had with it! Was very interested to see what was involved in that engine swap. Do keep us posted if you can!

Cheers,

Seb