Flight Chops on Distraction >> LOC (& flying DC3s)

Garfly

My first time in an aircraft was in a RCAF DC3 in 1969, as an Air Cadet. They did some gentle stalls during our familiarisation flight, and I was hooked for life! That DC3 experience is unforgettable for me.

Distractions can be deadly in any aircraft, regardless of size and complexity - at all times, never forget to “fly the damn airplane”! That includes the after-touchdown rollout & taxi, particularly in lightweight recreational aircraft with gusty crosswind conditions.

• Like 2

This is a great piece. They are showing and explaining how distractions can kill you using a problem in the cockpit that is out of the norm. Another form of distraction that is catching a lot of pilots out is outside of the cockpit. With the growing popularity of off airport type flying ( Moose stalls ) orbits while you are fixated looking out the window at wildlife or that ideal remote spot you can touch your wheels down is catching a lot of pilots out. The example of this that really stuck with me was cub driver 749er dvds 1 and 2.... DVD 1 shows training of pilots mastering the off airport environment. The 2nd dvd had a tribute of one of the student pilots who had spun into the ground and lost his life. The one thing that I can see that is similar with the two instances is how quick you can loose airspeed when distracted and pay the ultimate price. You can learn a lot from other peoples mistakes.

• Agree 1