Theft from Childers Airstrip

Over the last few days most of the 8 hangars at the Childers Qld airstrip have been broken into repeatedly. A number of items have been taken, model aircraft, engines, tools, electronic equipment, aircraft gear etc. As most hangar keepers live away from the area a complete list hasn't been compiled - we have yet to check ours. The attack was quite brazen - the padlocks were cut off Friday night and nothing taken, then over two more nights vehicles were driven in, alarms smashed and gear trucked out - the last was Tuesday night (last night).

So if you get offered something that fell off the back of a truck it might be from Childers.

Sue

Any aircraft damaged?

In the process of making life very difficult for aviators at Childers, did they do any damage to aircraft?

It's a worry cause we are only just South of Childers.

We are somewhat lucky at Gympie in that the RAAus CFI lives on the airfield adjacent to the majority of the hangars. Still a big worry though.

It's bloody discusting the hide of some people these days. A good friend of mine owns one of the hangers but had nothing taken. The first night they broke in to the hanger next to my mates, smashed the roller door and took several radio controled models. And I think from memory broke into a couple others. My mate and his brother got a new door and fitted it for the old man Reg, that owns the hanger, and secured the hanger again. The next time they came back they broke into more hangers including my mates. He had alarm systems rigged up in his hanger which were set off. But they then ripped out the condute that the wiring was in to stop the alarms from going off. Nothing was taken but there is plenty there they could have taken.

Reg, got his hanger broken into again damaging the new roller door, and took more of his models and radio gear. Nothing else was taken. Another hanger was broken into and they only took a couple old video cameras. I am not sure what else was taken from the other hangers. It seems like it may have been someone who has been there before. But it also looks like they are checking it out for another haul some other time. Either way I hope they get he buggers.

I've only had short conversations with one hangar owner, and a lot of second hand info - will know more when we get down there in a few days. The problem with everyone having their locked hangar is that it is hard for someone else to know what was there and is now missing or to have photos. Fortunately I have photos of the model aircraft that were stolen from one of the hangars. We did have someone living on site in a bus but they left before Council determined a temporary accommodation permit and one hangar has been fitted out as a weekender, so there was some presence there. But it is easy for someone to drive through, check out cars, lights, activity and keep going or just do it at 2am.

The model aircraft - contact Crime Stoppers if you see any of these.

Sue

P2230016a.jpg.6b3e4c325e8ce4eff37a4753dad44c64.jpg

P2230017a.jpg.e1289c07d2c6ead9d94dc0c5bb024865.jpg

This is terrible and I would say from experience that the offenders here will be looking to come back at some time also, given the MO over the last week.

I will be storing an aircraft soon and I will be fitting a device like this to the Hanger to record all movements in and out. They are cheap and great for use in evidence at court later. I'll have an internal and external camera.

2.4G Wireless Motion Detect Record System - eBay, Cameras, Security Systems, Electronics. (end time 15-Feb-10 21:30:56 AEDST)

You can fit a couple of cameras and it's night rated. It's also relatively cheap and great insurance. Just hide the recording device well and it's a great system.

That looks like a good idea Relfy, it would be very satisfying to be able to catch the grubs. I helped a friend with an old tape based system in his shop many years ago and after losing the tape to a tech savvy burglar, set up a hidden VCR, leaving an old blown unit complete with tape and a bright LED in a prominent position in his office. Worked a treat!

Guest skyspud

Sounds like they knew what they were after perhaps. Hopefully an add in widebay news papers might prompt somebody if they know something. Hope they get the filth and bring back the CAT OF NINE TAILS.

skyspud

Go fast and take chances

Guest Maj Millard

Keep an eye on any local Hock shops (pawn brokers)....often these wankers are looking for stuff they can quickly convert into cash. If it is reported stolen ,you can get it back from the hock shop. I will keep an eye out up this way, both at the hock shops and the local model plane field which is right next door to Montpelier.

Recovered today from the bush about 1km away - the remains of two model aircraft (one yellow & white in my photos) smashed to pieces with the engines removed. The blue one was safe at home but the others are still missing.

We have been out at the airfield today - nothing of ours taken or damaged, but a friend's camera gear (old and out of date) that was stored there has gone. Some others had covers and lids removed but nothing taken. Others have lost tools and mostly model aircraft, engines, radio controls etc. One theory is that the thieves were familiar with model aircraft as they selected the correct wing to go with the fuse and recognised the value of engines, servos and the flying box.

Significantly the hangars with dead locks - too hard to get into to cut through were left alone. On others the padlocks were cut off with something like a cordless grinder and one wooden door jemmied open. The poor bloke who lost the most has had his 2nd new roller door rammed. Most hangar keepers have been to remove valuables and we are considering video surveillance. Our fear is that the lads will return, get frustrated at finding nothing and start into aircraft.

Not our best moment, but at least it doesn't appear to be fellow aviators.

Sue

In my experience this will not be backpackers as they are generally respectful but more likely local youth, 12 to 16 year olds most likely known to someone at the strip and perhaps have been milking info out of someones kids who is a hanger owner and decided to have what they call fun out of jealousy.

Thats my profile, bills in the mail!!!!!!!!!

So if you get offered something that fell off the back of a truck it might be from Childers.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Regarding the model gear, I would suggest an e-mail to the secretaries of model clubs in the area to make them aware should any of this gear turn up for sale.

Here is a link to contacts for Qld model clubs - Bottom Border

I would suggest the 2 Bundaberg clubs, Burnett, Hervey Bay, Fraser Coast and Maryborough at least, maybe Tin Can Bay, Gympie and Gladstone as well.

Hope these B@R$t@RDS get caught!!!

Mick

Thanks for all your help / encouragement.

The smashed models including an empty cigarette packet were taken to the police station just before rain swamped the place. The padlocks were cut with what we believe to be a battery operated grinder with diamond wheel. The cladding on our hangar door had the rivets drilled out and an attempt to lever it off. We have tank bolts on the joins so that it makes it harder to remove, so they gave up.

There were vehicle tracks to the roller door which was levered up and then distorted with a jack under it until it came out of the tracks. The new one was also well bashed. Now the dust has settled and people have discovered what they thought was missing they had actually put somewhere else it appears only models and modelling gear has gone along with some old VHS recorders (out of date).

The family is heavily involved with the Maryborough Model club so they are keeping the ear to the ground.

We have increased security including video and micro dot identification. Can never stop them but will at least slow them up.

One lesson - every month or so - take a picture of your hangar as a memory jogger for what was there and now missing. A dab of micro dots or engraving id helps police identify gear when they find a suspect.

Thanks again everyone.

Sue

Very frustrating knowing they'll probably never be caught.

I absolutely agree with the photo thing, great idea, how often do we forget the fine details - all of our assets are photographed and the images stored offsite.

A few months ago, we were woken at 3am by people in our driveway - hit the panic button sounding the alarm and they disappeared pretty quickly along with cameras and other stuff from our cars. When we reported it to the police, it turns out they had 27 similar reports on the same night from our tiny local area.

Hanging's too good ........