Primarily for Trikers - Safety interest

Hi

Worth reading this US trike accident report as it has some simple recommendations that if used may prevent this accident happening again.

Titled:

Jon Thornburgh's Trike accident Narrative

at:

Rob Stapleton - Members - Trikepilot Social

I would suggest recommendation No 2 is one not often considered or have I missed something in my training?

Guest Decca

Ray that report was well worth posting here. Tragic accident. The thought put in to procedures for saving the situation has been well put together.

Killing the engine may not be thought of soon enough to avoid a catastrophe, like that brand new airbus that was written off before its delivery flight.

Decca.

Ray that report was well worth posting here. Tragic accident. The thought put in to procedures for saving the situation has been well put together.Killing the engine may not be thought of soon enough to avoid a catastrophe, like that brand new airbus that was written off before its delivery flight.

Decca.

In a reply to that report it states that a pilot was almost killed in South Africa.

In fact a pilot in another incident was killed in SA a few years ago.

He was a low hour pilot and had landed with other pilots at a car show on a race track(if I remember correctly).

Members of the public had fiddled with the trike and had pulled the friction throttle back.

After numerous attempts to start, the pilot eventually had someone pull start the trike, the engine roared into life with the trike rotating and collided with the first floor of a hostel building. The pilot did not survive.

It was due to this happening that my students are taught to always release the bungy on the control bar before starting.