Trying to take off

Hi all,

I'm considering fulfilling a long-time ambition (or dream) to fly ultralights.

Starting to do my usual procrastination prior to embarking on a journey, so looking forward to reading some good info on this site.

Dave

Welcome, Dave. I would be a world-champion procrastinator (if I ever got round to entering the competition) so know where you're coming from. "Look before you leap" is good advice, but that leap has got to happen eventually.

If you're like me, your chassis and operating system are past their peak, so why wait for serious deterioration to set in? Old Timer's Disease is best kept at bay by constantly re-wiring the brain- learning something totally new.

Just in case you ever ever get around to it, here are some good links about putting things off:

The Useful Art of Procrastination

Putting off Procrastination

• Agree 1

Do it NOW - go for a trial flight - there are lots of good schools in WA

Join the Perth Pilots Facebook page if you haven't already (assuming you have facebook - I have an account Ive only setup to join these types of pages) and keep an eye out for offers of a free ride in an aircraft (I usually have a spare seat one a month or so) and get out and immerse yourself in the joy of flight!

Good luck and enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi all,I'm considering fulfilling a long-time ambition (or dream) to fly ultralights.

Starting to do my usual procrastination prior to embarking on a journey, so looking forward to reading some good info on this site.

Dave

You're too late. The "Ultralight" aircraft movement was killed by old men with money and no medicals who were booted out of GA. 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

Sorry. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Shouldn't put you off that way... But I have to ask...what do you really mean when you say that you want to fly "ultralights"?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Welcome, Dave. I would be a world-champion procrastinator (if I ever got round to entering the competition) so know where you're coming from. "Look before you leap" is good advice, but that leap has got to happen eventually.If you're like me, your chassis and operating system are past their peak, so why wait for serious deterioration to set in? Old Timer's Disease is best kept at bay by constantly re-wiring the brain- learning something totally new.

Just in case you ever ever get around to it, here are some good links about putting things off:

I'll look at it tomorrow .... But then again I might not ! ... Bob

• Haha 1

Welcome, Dave. I would be a world-champion procrastinator (if I ever got round to entering the competition) so know where you're coming from. "Look before you leap" is good advice, but that leap has got to happen eventually.If you're like me, your chassis and operating system are past their peak, so why wait for serious deterioration to set in? Old Timer's Disease is best kept at bay by constantly re-wiring the brain- learning something totally new.

Hahaha, yes, Chassis is not in prime condition, but hope my OS is still booting up quickly.

I might just use your argument of keeping old-timers disease at bay with that side of me that is reluctant to part with the cash (ie: wife)!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

You're too late. The "Ultralight" aircraft movement was killed by old men with money and no medicals who were booted out of GA. 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gifSorry. 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Shouldn't put you off that way... But I have to ask...what do you really mean when you say that you want to fly "ultralights"?

Perhaps I should start learning the lingo first! Maybe "LSA"?

• Like 1

Do it NOW - go for a trial flight - there are lots of good schools in WAJoin the Perth Pilots Facebook page if you haven't already (assuming you have facebook - I have an account Ive only setup to join these types of pages) and keep an eye out for offers of a free ride in an aircraft (I usually have a spare seat one a month or so) and get out and immerse yourself in the joy of flight!

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks Mike.. I will do so.

Got a flight with a mate out of Bindoon the other day - fantastic!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome Dave!

Glad you got to go for a fly, it doesn't help suppress the flying bug, does it?

If you haven't done so, look up Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus), that's pretty much where the ultralights are these days.

The annual Fly-in at Serpentine is on again on 24 Sept. Worth a visit if you'd like to see a good selection of RAAus and VH homebuilts and other interesting aircraft.

rgmwa