Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only ever seen information in magazine articles and on the internet about the Zenith CH-701. Because I live in an area of New Zealand where there appears to be no Zenith owners and/or builders in the vicinity I have not yet ever seen one "in the flesh" ...let alone flown in one! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I am interested in either building or -if the price is right- buying a STOL aircraft either the Zenith CH-701 or a similar aircraft. I am looking at different options but, because of hangar costs I am now considering the folding wing options on this plane (or similar).

I have read quite a bit about this plane and the things I like about it are:

There are more than 1,000 CH-701s flying in different parts of the world

It is a high wing plane;

It has tricycle undercarriage

Its good STOL capabilities

Appears to be a robust design

Short landing roll

Short take off roll

All aluminium construction

It has a 20+ year history with a number of improvements carried out during this time

It has a steep climb angle

Seems to be pretty good for cross wind landings

There seems to be a folding wing option to help avoid hangarage costs

Low stall speed

Reasonable VNE

Has good landing gear

Is able to land on unprepared strips

Does anyone have good experience with one? I would be very interested to know.

I am going to be doing a bit of traveling in Australia over the next 30 days from mid-December to mid-January. I will be in Darwin, Alice Springs, Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sydney. Are there any CH-701 owners who could show me their pride and joy in those locations?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello all,

I am a going to be in the Perth/ Henderson area of WA for a month from mid June and would be interested to meet with any CH701 owners in this area.

I have one that I fly in Poland and would like to maintain my hours.

It is also possible that I will be there for a year from August so I will definitely be looking for some means of flying then.

Michael

• 1 year later...

We have three very active 701s at Kilcoy Airfield, also three Savannahs for comparison, about one and half hour drive from Brisbane. We're out there every Sunday morning. Most welcome. Probably get a fly in one....

JG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi JG

I'm considering Kilcoy as a hangar base at the moment, and thinking of either a CH701, Savannah or Skyranger. Their specs seem pretty similar and since they are more or less clones of each other, I believe, I guess that is right. How do you find your Savannah does against a CH701 in terms of cruise and climb?

Ryan

Hey Ryan, those aircraft are the ones I'm interested in as well. You'll find the Skyranger though is tube and rag while the others are fully built up aluminium. My favourite at present is the Sav but that could change :)

G'day Ryan

I am presently in Tasmania on a flying tour in my Savannah. So only have the iPhone.

The Savannah and 701 cruise exactly the same. The Savannah is more STOL capable and climbs better.

Detailed comparisons are in my website at http://www.stolspeed.com

JG

• 1 year later...
We have three very active 701s at Kilcoy Airfield, also three Savannahs for comparison, about one and half hour drive from Brisbane. We're out there every Sunday morning. Most welcome. Probably get a fly in one....JG

I'm building a CH701 at Karalee, I've been building for the past 4+yrs, admittedly haven't touched it much for two yrs but I'm back to it now. I am a now retired LAME and have to admit that part of the reason for the two year hiatus has been frustration with the design. I had owned the plans since the aircraft came onto the market some 20+ yrs ago so when I bought the kit finally, I also bought an updated set of plans in the fond belief that any problems would have been long ago found and fixed, this has not been my experience. However, I intend to finish and fly it so I need to refire enthusiasm, hence I will drive up to Kilcoy next Sunday morning to hopefully chat to some people, get some ideas about areas that are giving me problems and maybe, hopefully get a ride in one.
  • Like 1

I'm building a CH701 at Karalee, I've been building for the past 4+yrs, admittedly haven't touched it much for two yrs but I'm back to it now. I am a now retired LAME and have to admit that part of the reason for the two year hiatus has been frustration with the design. I had owned the plans since the aircraft came onto the market some 20+ yrs ago so when I bought the kit finally, I also bought an updated set of plans in the fond belief that any problems would have been long ago found and fixed, this has not been my experience. However, I intend to finish and fly it so I need to refire enthusiasm, hence I will drive up to Kilcoy next Sunday morning to hopefully chat to some people, get some ideas about areas that are giving me problems and maybe, hopefully get a ride in one.

Hi l am also doing a full rebuild on a 701 it was built in 98 well that was when it was finished not sure when it was started it is the early 701 so l all so was hoping the plans had changed but most of it is still the same l have had to beef up the fire wall and nose wheel assembly as it was quite damaged and change the main spring to the latest version put more ribs in the fuselage to stop it tin canning get rid of the fuel tank over my knees installing wing tanks list goes on but it should be a good project.20 years is a long time for a build hope mine doesn't take that long keep plodding along Derek .

cheers Geoff.

Hi l am also doing a full rebuild on a 701 it was built in 98 well that was when it was finished not sure when it was started it is the early 701 so l all so was hoping the plans had changed but most of it is still the same l have had to beef up the fire wall and nose wheel assembly as it was quite damaged and change the main spring to the latest version put more ribs in the fuselage to stop it tin canning get rid of the fuel tank over my knees installing wing tanks list goes on but it should be a good project.20 years is a long time for a build hope mine doesn't take that long keep plodding along Derek .cheers Geoff.

I think there has been a wing-strengthening change which increased the Maximum Take Off Weight. That was done about 8 years ago. Perhaps you could incorporate the upgrade while you're doing the rebuild?

Hi l am also doing a full rebuild on a 701 it was built in 98 well that was when it was finished not sure when it was started it is the early 701 so l all so was hoping the plans had changed but most of it is still the same l have had to beef up the fire wall and nose wheel assembly as it was quite damaged and change the main spring to the latest version put more ribs in the fuselage to stop it tin canning get rid of the fuel tank over my knees installing wing tanks list goes on but it should be a good project.20 years is a long time for a build hope mine doesn't take that long keep plodding along Derek .cheers Geoff.

Hasn't taken me 20yrs, that is how long I've had the plans. Build time is 4yrs and counting! Drove to Kilcoy this morning because I read that 3 CH701s fly there sunday mornings. Picked the wrong sunday (Father's Day) only one example around, I'll have to try another Sunday!

We have three very active 701s at Kilcoy Airfield, also three Savannahs for comparison, about one and half hour drive from Brisbane. We're out there every Sunday morning. Most welcome. Probably get a fly in one....JG

Not quite every Sunday (See my note elsewhere) to get a fly in one and would be happy to do a legal cost share Father's Day was obviously a bad choice! Any chance you could tell me when you will be there next? I would dearly love to get a fly in one and would be happy to legally cost share. I would also like to see how you have organised your fuel systems. The sole example that I saw today had a different fuel setup, ie wing tanks and header tank, mine has only wing tanks.

Not quite every Sunday (See my note elsewhere) to get a fly in one and would be happy to do a legal cost share Father's Day was obviously a bad choice! Any chance you could tell me when you will be there next? I would dearly love to get a fly in one and would be happy to legally cost share. I would also like to see how you have organised your fuel systems. The sole example that I saw today had a different fuel setup, ie wing tanks and header tank, mine has only wing tanks.

Hi Derekliston let us know when you get to fly one , l am putting Savannah wing tanks in mine and a savannah header tank see if you can find a savannah they are similar to the 701 you might get some ideas of fuel system there are more savannahs out there than 701s.

cheers Geoff.

Derek

I was out at Kilcoy yesterday there was a 701 flying around doing circuits and when I left at around 10.30am he was coming back from a short fly. Hans is usally there and would have been with his 701 but he is crook with the flu and wasnt there and ken wasn't there either. But Roger in his Savannah was there for a chat with a couple of guys that were there and I had also flown in for a chat. Send Hans a email I am sure I sent his email in a PM to you to arrange something

Hi Derekliston let us know when you get to fly one , l am putting Savannah wing tanks in mine and a savannah header tank see if you can find a savannah they are similar to the 701 you might get some ideas of fuel system there are more savannahs out there than 701s.cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff, Davids 701 will certainly benefit from some tlc. Are you still just south of the pistol club? Laurie

Hi Geoff, Davids 701 will certainly benefit from some tlc. Are you still just south of the pistol club? Laurie

Hi Laurie yes still same place Davids 701 does need some tlc its been sitting for a long time completely striped it down doing some mods and updating. Come for a visit one day, what are you flying these days don't see you much flying over.

cheers Geoff.

No Geoff, not much powered flying these days although I did give Mel Dougherty's Jab SP6 a run a couple of weeks ago after his fitting of Rotec water cooled heads. I sold my Starlet (pictured) back in November last year but there is light at the end of the tunnel - a Jabiru UL 450 project that I took on in March. That's coming along in my shed. This was an unfinished project so even though 12 years old, still brand new. Cheers, Laurie.

Hi all. I have a 701 in my shed that i am trying to get into the air. I am the third owner, purchaced from a deceased estate, the plane kit was first purchased in early nineties so has been a long build.The wings have had their slat brackets taken off so the question to all 701 owners and flyers slats or no slats. Hanging a low hour jab on the front. Cheers Phil

Hi all. I have a 701 in my shed that i am trying to get into the air. I am the third owner, purchased from a deceased estate, the plane kit was first purchased in early nineties so has been a long build.The wings have had their slat brackets taken off so the question to all 701 owners and flyers slats or no slats. Hanging a low hour jab on the front. Cheers Phil

Hi Phil my 701 l purchased has had the slat taken off and the brackets cut off also.

l am going to put them on l have spoken to Zenair about them and they say if l want a real stol aircraft put them on you loose a bit of cruise speed , l have put the new aluminum VGs on the elevator to get better control a slower speeds l will see how the slats go then l will make my decision whether to keep them or not.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff, I'm not going to get the thrust from the jab motor that you need for stol flying so I'm thinking that I will not get the benefit from putting the slats on. My plane came with a very heavy EA81 so I pulled it out. Wanted to put a Rotax 582 in but not much change from 10k so got hold of a jab motor with 2 hours on it veary cheap. Wanted to be as light as I can. Do you know of the histroy of your plane? I was talking to the original owner of my 701 and he said he went to gippsland for a ride in a 701 and the pilot clipped a wire coming in to land, scared the shit out of him! Cheers.

Hi Geoff, I'm not going to get the thrust from the jab motor that you need for stol flying so I'm thinking that I will not get the benefit from putting the slats on. My plane came with a very heavy EA81 so I pulled it out. Wanted to put a Rotax 582 in but not much change from 10k so got hold of a jab motor with 2 hours on it veary cheap. Wanted to be as light as I can. Do you know of the histroy of your plane? I was talking to the original owner of my 701 and he said he went to gippsland for a ride in a 701 and the pilot clipped a wire coming in to land, scared the **** out of him! Cheers.

Hi Phil that is the plane l bought the owner was playing around with vertex generators when that happened this aircraft has had a lot of hard landings that's why l have stripped it down completely l am just finishing off a new fire wall it was bent and split replaced the main spring, wheels and nose leg l am putting in wing tanks l got rid of the 40lt fuel tank sitting over my lap l am not keen with fuel in the cabin.

l am changing the wing struts with airfoil type of a savannah this 701 used to drop the right wing severely in the stall ,this 701 has done 351hrs it is the original 701 that was first designed for the 503 or 532 it has a 912ul in it now.

cheers Geoff.

ps are you far from gippsland .