Zenith ch650 kit

Akazia

Looking into building a zenith ch650 kit. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has started or completed one of these kits in Northern NSW.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I have completed a Zodiac 601XLB and am flying in Newcastle. The 650 kit is not a major change from the 601, and if you want advice or help, let me know.

I would be happy to fly up to let you see the plane.

Cheers

Phil

HiI have completed a Zodiac 601XLB and am flying in Newcastle. The 650 kit is not a major change from the 601, and if you want advice or help, let me know.

I would be happy to fly up to let you see the plane.

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil, thanks for the info... Would be good to see your plane and catch up for a chat if you are up my way. What engine config you running in yours, cheers Tim.

Hi the Akazia.

We are just about finished our ch 601 xl here in Brisbane. We have the corvair on the front.

You are quite welcome to visit any time.

We also have a friend that has one flying as well.

Ianrat

CH601XLB

Brisbane.

Hi Tim

I am running the Rotax 912ULS, up front. I am very happy with the config I'm using, cruise at 5200 for 100 knots. Next trip north I'll let you know or if your in Newcastle let me know.

Cheers

Phil

That's interesting Phil, 5200 for us is 115kts with the 912S

Hi PapaFox

What Propellor are you using to get that performance, and do you have the standard heat issues when climbing which most rotax formats have?

With thanks

phil

We've got the GSC 3-blade prop, set fairly coarse, but still allowing a 1500fpm climb. By heat issues, I can only assume over-cooling. The only time both CHT's are in the green is during the climb. During cruise, the temps are generally too low, with one CHT sitting into the yellow range. On a prolonged climb (>5000'), the oil might get up to 105, but that's about it. We've only just started to remove the tape that was reducing the airflow to the cooler. This is the same situation for the other XL on the field here.

Hi PapaFox

I cannot get the front CHT in the Green at all, I have about 40F between front and back CHT. I have also taped up the Oil Cooler to get some heat into the Oil. What Diameter GSc are you using, I'm currently swinging a 69" Diameter 3 Blade Aeroprop. Climb out at 5000 rpm at full throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Righto, the prop is a 68 inch 3-blade. On initial climb off the deck, we pull around 4900 rpm, and then increase to 5200 once airspeed climbs.

Just had a look at the data from my flight back from Gawler the other week, and thanks to a little tailwind, I was up to 165kts over the ground at 17L/hr.