Hello, my name is Andrew...

Guest sawmillbrook

Guest sawmillbrook

I just joined the site. I live in Scituate, RI and work in Chester, CT...

I worked at the Plymouth Mass airport when I was a kid growing up in the 70's and learned how to fly... I washed and waxed a great many airplanes and used the money to take flying lessons... fortunately I was able to talk my way onto a lot of flights in varying aircraft and met some memorable characters in those days.

I have been driving around airports lately and walking around tarmacs (it was a lot easier pre-09/11 with all the fencing and all) and dreaming about getting back up into the air.

The LSA class of airplanes fascinate me. General Aviation has come a long way over the last 30 years. My hat's off to the folks who have embraced the new FAA rules and built some amazing designs. I am more into the journey than the destination so "cub-like" tail-dragger airplanes appeal to me. The Kitfox and Aerotrek designs are of great interest as the seating is side-by-side.

I look forward to meeting the folks on this great site and thank you in advance for putting up with my uninformed questions and ultimately dopey comments...

I believe in giving more than receiving so hopefully I can add some value back...

Guest studentbiggles

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Andrew from the States...Great to have you on board this great site...Dito with your comment about "It's the journey not the destination" with flying...As long as we are learning all the time and of course flying up in the blue :thumb_up: I'm training in a Jab230 and glider training in a beautiful old Blanik plus I've put an order on a Jabiru for my own 230D with all the bells and whistles keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Live your dream like I am and all the reat of us here.

Fly and Keep Safe,

Cheers Alley.

G'day Andrew,

Welcome to Recreational Flying, Great to have you and look forward to your Questions and comments. I am reasonably new at this myself but there is a lot of experience on this site with some great people. Hope you enjoy it.

Monty

Guest sawmillbrook

Thank you for the nice welcome...much appreciated...

I'll be visiting Farnborough in July (work related)... I hope to see a lot of great machines there... my first visit to England...

...........I'll be visiting Farnborough in July (work related)... I hope to see a lot of great machines there... my first visit to England...

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif you lucky bugger, wish I could go. You'll love the UK IF, you stay out of the cities. Hope the weather stay fine for you but.

Guest Wigg

Welcome to the forums Andrew. Gee how I envy you going to Farnborough sounds like fun. Cheers John

Guest sawmillbrook

Thanks folks... yes, I'm looking forward to Farnborough... I'll be working the trade show aspect of it... but I hope to find time to be an "aero-tourist" as well...

I hope there are lots of planes in the Recreational Flying category to review. I'll bring a camera and if I learn how to download pics, I will do so.

Again, thank you for the warm welcome, what a great group !!

Guest Crezzi
I hope there are lots of planes in the Recreational Flying category to review.

Unlikely I'm afraid Andrew - its a few years since I've been but Farnborough is very much oriented towards the commercial / military side of things.

I'm sure there will be plenty to see though

Cheers

John

Guest Wigg

Andrew a quick question what state is RI please? I know what CT is but this one has me stumped regards Sue

Guest sawmillbrook

Hi Sue,

We are between CT and Massachusetts... Rhode Island is the smallest state in the USA... basically shaped like a horseshoe, surrounding a lot of water... come visit...

Guest Wigg

Of course will add it to our other states when we finally get over there, PA, CO, AL, TN & FL. Along with Ontario & Calgarry ( wrong spelling I'm sure.) Thank you for that.

Hello and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Andrew.

As has been previously stated, Farnborough is more for commercial and military aircraft, but a great event nevertheless. However, it's been a few decades since I was there doing some work on Concorde before it went into service. There are quite a lot of airfields within probably no more than an an hour or so's drive from there, which you may like to check out on google before you go.

If you can manage to get to the RAF Museum in Colindale, Nth London which is on the site of the old historic Hendon Aerodrome site, a wonderful experience awaits anyone interested in aircraft. They have over a hundred aircraft on display there, rangeing from the very early basic box-kite type aircraft to modern day fighters. You can wander through an old Sunderland Flying Boat, or see a WW2 bomber that spent about 40 years submerged after crash landing on a frozen lake in Norway before being retrieved. It's quite an experience, and nostalgic, to visit the place, and whats more I think the entry is still free.

You really need at least half a day to get around and take it all in, if you can spare the time.

Have a great trip whatever you manage to fit in, and keep us posted. we'd love to hear all about it.

Kind Regards

planey

Guest sawmillbrook

Planey... my business partner and I are planning on going to England 2 days early to visit London... and I'm a WW II history buff... (complete amateur)... and of course anything WW II aviation interests me greatly. I will make a point of visiting that museum... cannot wait.

Thank you for the advice...

Andrew

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Andrew

Lots of good memories for me in your part of the world. I got my USA licence years ago flying out of Mansfield Massachusetts with some memorable flights to Martha's Vineyard (a very undulating strip close to the beach), to Long Island, and up into New Hampshire .... oh and across NY state to Niagra ...

Welcome to the forum .. and have fun at Farnborough!

RD

So there's a Mansfield in the States as well. The original's in the UK, one here in Vic or NSW (sorry can't remember and too lazy to look it up) so that's 3. Any more I wonder. Oh BTW, my surname, Mansfield of coarse, and I'm in the best state of all, South Australia. (and that's how to start a war. lol)

Guest sawmillbrook

I grew up in Marshfield, MA... about 50 minutes from MANsfield...MA... and I used to fly to the Vineyard all the time... remember Kaman field??? a big grass strip and from the air it looked like a compass as you could almost land in any direction you wanted.

New England (where I am from) towns are either named after English towns/cities or Indian names.

Thanks for your reply Andrew.

If you're going to the museum by public transport? Make your way to Colindale station and it's only .8 of a mile walk from there. Go to Google earth and punch in RAF Museum London and you can see clearly where it is situated. You definately wont be disapointed.

You can buy a souvenier video or dvd on the place with a most interesting commentry which is great to look back on your visit.

Have a great time, which I know you will.

Alan

So there's a Mansfield in the States as well. The original's in the UK, one here in Vic or NSW (sorry can't remember and too lazy to look it up) so that's 3. Any more I wonder. Oh BTW, my surname, Mansfield of coarse, and I'm in the best state of all, South Australia. (and that's how to start a war. lol)

I remember your sister Jane, Doug.

She was quite a well endowed girl and became well known;)

Alan

I remember your sister Jane, Doug.She was quite a well endowed girl and became well known;)

Alan

She was rather nice wasn't she. Could be a bit silly at times and one day she really lost her head.:yuk: