J120 muaw?

t4flyer

Hi all,

I read a previous post where someone said the J120 has been uprated to a full 600Kg MAUW, is that true? the Jabiru (AUS) web site still has the J120 at 500Kg MAUW.

My interest is that I have recently purchased a new Jabiru "UL120" (South African factory assembled J120 fitted with the 430 wings) it is rated as 500Kg MAUW. If the parent factory has lifted the MAUW to 600Kg "maybe" my UL120's MUAW could be lifted here to...

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers, T4Flyer.

Hi Tomo,

Actually very well. I live on the South African highveld so fly hot and high (airfield 5,500ft and summer temps above 30C) so decided to go for the 430 wing for the greater lift. So far the UL120 has performed to expectations, there doesn't seem to be to much speed lose compared to the J120. Roll rate is a little slower than the J120, as you would expect and she responds slower to the controls than I am used to with my Zodiac 601 HD.

Overall, so far the UL120 is a beautiful flying machine (although its winter here so I can't comment on hot/high summer flying yet) she is not the easiest flying machine to get back onto the ground, but I have been told that is a Jabiru trait and that all Jabiru models take some getting used to (slowly getting there though!)

Cheers, T4Flyer.

Thanks a lot for that T4, very interesting.

As you may have guessed I fly the J120 on a regular basis here in Australia - just a little south west of Bundaberg where they are built.

It performs very well in my opinion - definitely a Jabiru special.

They certainly do float a bit, I guess it would be a little more with the larger wings also, just don't go over a 65kt approach or it will take forever to land.

Welcome along also, great to have you. Hope you enjoy the place. :thumb_up:

Hi Tomo,Actually very well. I live on the South African highveld so fly hot and high (airfield 5,500ft and summer temps above 30C) so decided to go for the 430 wing for the greater lift. So far the UL120 has performed to expectations, there doesn't seem to be to much speed lose compared to the J120. Roll rate is a little slower than the J120, as you would expect and she responds slower to the controls than I am used to with my Zodiac 601 HD.

Overall, so far the UL120 is a beautiful flying machine (although its winter here so I can't comment on hot/high summer flying yet) she is not the easiest flying machine to get back onto the ground, but I have been told that is a Jabiru trait and that all Jabiru models take some getting used to (slowly getting there though!)

Cheers, T4Flyer.

I am confident in saying the J120 has a certified MTOW of 500kg and that's not likely to change. I believe that the longer wings were used in a number of export markets to meet local CAR requirements for those countries and renamed as UL accordingly.

Hi all,

I only asked the question as I read this on the last page of the post "J170 - First Impressions"

As per POH: 

J160 48 KIAS at MTOW (544 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

J170 40 KIAS at MTOW (600 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

Quote:

This is not quite true: Late versions of the J160C and all J160D are MTOW 600kgs. Same with late J120s.

Ah but it is true for the planes to which the POH applies.

David

Just wondering if the above was correct, would be nice to have a bit more "legal" Kgs available.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers, T4Flyer

Hi all,I only asked the question as I read this on the last page of the post "J170 - First Impressions"

As per POH:

J160 48 KIAS at MTOW (544 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

J170 40 KIAS at MTOW (600 kg) Landing Config (full flaps)

Quote:

This is not quite true: Late versions of the J160C and all J160D are MTOW 600kgs. Same with late J120s.

Ah but it is true for the planes to which the POH applies.

David

Just wondering if the above was correct, would be nice to have a bit more "legal" Kgs available.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers, T4Flyer

Not true - as later posts clarified. This advice came from RAA office, but subsequently proved to have been a misinterpretation. Only J170C and up and J230C and up are certified 600kgs. (+ maybe some earlier series 6s, but dont know for sure..)

Hi Bushpilot,

I guessed it wasn't true as its a big jump from 500 to 600 Kg MAUW. Although a smaller increase to say 550 or 560 Kgs would be most appriciated :big_grin:

Cheers T4Flyer