Flying Car

Ok, problems with the "story" as I see it.

Yeah, fly to work, reduce traffic congestion in the cities!

I DON'T THINK SO!

As they need RUNWAYS to land, it would mean a runway (or many) in the city.

Look at Mascot airport and Bankstown. People don't like the noise associated with them already. Putting in new runways - and therefore AIRPORTS - it would be a step backwards in their eyes.

As there would be that much air traffic, do you think the city airport/runway would NOT be controlled?

Ofcourse it would be controlled! Therefore RAA pilots would not be able to use them - dispite having these wonderful flying cars.

Sure, nice idea, but let's keep things practical.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. Just calling it as I see it.

Guest davidh10

It certainly does not solve commuter problems, but then it does not claim to address commuter needs. But then it is only the press that calls it a "flying car". The designer calls it a "roadable aircraft". IMHO, there's a big difference in implied usage. The company also responds to this differentiation in their FAQ. They say they are specifically not trying to replace an automobile.

According to the aircraft's description, it addresses private pilot issues:-

• uncertain weather - ie. drive if you cannot fly. It does talk about being suitable for road trips up to "400 miles".

• rising costs - hangarage, ULP in lieu of avgas and ground transportation costs.

• transportation issues - ie. when you arrive at an AD, you are usually stuck there unless you use a hire car, taxi, Shanks' pony..

I suspect it may have more to do with the aerodrome availability and geography in the USA, than here. They claim that it is capable of using most of the 5,000 public airports in the USA and that "on average you are less than 30 miles from one, anywhere in the country". There's no information about the criteria used to ascertain this capability, other than the use of the AOPA Directory and perhaps compatible runway length.

It' novel, but I still reckon you could pay for a lot of hangarage and ground transportation with the extra cost of this machine, over many dedicated recreational aircraft. Therefore the motivation for purchase based on cost savings is akin to the marketing of domestic solar power being a cost saving.

Guest burbles1

AOPA's take on flying cars?

Had to laugh after reading "Would you buy a flying car?" in the latest Australian Pilot. It starts off "We could have a flying car today, actually. It might cost about three million dollars..." Riiigghhht... So, what about the development of the Terrafugia Transition and its price tag of under $300,000?

Then the article goes on (and on) about what sort of engine this flying car might have.

And "Electric power is in its infancy and is a maybe..." Ever heard of the Yuneec, which is going into production? Obviously gone beyond the R&D stage and is now a viable proposition.

What really had me shaking my head was "... make the machine affordable and make it accessible so we don't need to operate it from an airport" - only to be followed up by: "So why not use motorways as landing grounds?"

Is this guy writing a film script or is it meant to be taken seriously for discussion? Seems that the writer has ignored all media reports and developments in aviation, and come up with some fanciful twaddle that George Lucas would be proud of. No facts stated whatsoever, and nothing is justified based on current technological capabilities.

Is this article representative of AOPA's stand on "roadable aircraft"? (I'll use the correct terminology.)

Guest ozzie

http://www.psfradio.com/impodcast/2010/06/29/psf100629a.mp3

Earl Lawrence, Experimental Aircraft Association

Earl Lawrence talks about the weight exemption recently written for the Terrafugia roadable aircraft. It turns out that the people at Terrafugia are not only making great technical achievements, they are also working through the business and regulatory issues in order to bring the flying car to market. Experimental Aircraft Association (6/29/10)