Exhaust Gaskets

sandman

Can I re-use my exhaust gaskets on a rotax 582 only put them on last week now have to pull the exhaust off again. The gaskets appear to be a little puffed up when new and when in place appear to tighten up becoming flat against the flange, thats why I am wandering if I can reuse them, Cheers.

Given the style of system the 582 has, and the short time of use, I would reuse them. If you tension the manifold bolts down correctly, there shouldn't be any problem.

However, if there is any damage (cracks, holes, stiffening) of the gaskets then get new ones.

Just my opinion,

Maynard

OK I have put the exhaust gaskets back on the same side they come off and went flying with no leaks and no rtv silicone, flew for about 2 hours and all is good. Thanks fellas for your input. Cheers.

Rtv silicone is a silicone that can handle high tempeeatures and is usually placed around the exhaust gaskets to stop them from leaking, it works very well. This stuff can be purchased at any auto shops.

• 4 months later...
Guest Dick Gower

And if silicon gets intothe oil it forms long thin "jelly babies" that find their way into oilways and eventually cause engine failure. When silicon is used as a sealant in fuel systems the same thing happens and blocks the filters. Al least one fatal from this.

Don't let anything silicon get anywhere near the fuel and oil Frank.

High-temp silicone.

recommended to be used on the Cont's and lycomings to prevent leakage and erosion of the exhaust port to gasket face. red stuff. There is no chance of it getting into the oil from there. Silicone carelessly used is the cause of blockage of oil feed lines. Nev

Old trick, just give them a coat either side with silver frost paint. bang them on when they are reasonbly dryish. worked well on my early holdens. Being an aeroplane tho, i'd recheck the nuts after a bit of a run.