Video: DC4 Skymaster Flight Sequence - SAAF Harvard 50 Year Anniversary

Admin

Nice find, thanks Ian. I enjoyed seeing the Ju-52 in the opening sequence as well, I have very fond memories of a ride in the back of that and of being able to wind the cabin window down like an old motor car. Not a single photo unfortunately, my camera was stolen before I even had the film developed:crying:

This might seem far from Rec flying, but we are all pilots. The DC-4 has very slow roll rates and is an aircraft weighing 72,000 lbs with manual controls. ( muscle power only). Only the undercarriage ,cowl gills,. brakes and nosewheel steering are hydraulic. It's a beautiful airframe and I have never seen one do this sort of routine before. A creditable bit of piloting, though somewhat illegal and outside of the aircrafts design envelope. Nev

Certainly pushing the envelope, although probably mild in comparison to some of the manouvering those aircraft were subject to when there were missiles and other unfriendly objects in the air! I don't think the two engine pass was ops normal, but I've seen only slightly more restrained displays on several occasions. Nothing quite like a quartet of large radials......:thumb_up: I'll have to go looking for some of my own video.

• 11 months later...