Very Expensive Aircraft Parts,How to get them on the cheap.

I have just forked a small fortune on some gear for the corella. Seats x 2.....$4.00, Trim levers...$.oo.

Here's the rub.....Seats are ex office chairs with the arms cut off and bought from the local tip. Trim levers are ex gear change levers off a pushbike given to me for parts.

Without all the brackets,lift strut,and wheels the seats are fairly light and comfy.

Want more........Headset with boom mike, $24.00 from Aldi.

Cheap intercom......2 place portable motorcycle.......E-bay, $8.00

Anyone else with bargains and cheap alternitives, let us know. Most of us are willing to save some dollars.

• Like 2

I have just forked a small fortune on some gear for the corella. Seats x 2.....$4.00, Trim levers...$.oo.Here's the rub.....Seats are ex office chairs with the arms cut off and bought from the local tip. Trim levers are ex gear change levers off a pushbike given to me for parts.

Without all the brackets,lift strut,and wheels the seats are fairly light and comfy.

Want more........Headset with boom mike, $24.00 from Aldi.

Cheap intercom......2 place portable motorcycle.......E-bay, $8.00

Anyone else with bargains and cheap alternitives, let us know. Most of us are willing to save some dollars.

Hi Pete

It's good to get gear for smaller outlays but you need to also be sure they will do the job when the pressure is on.

I remember there was a very informative article in one of the magazines some time back... I think it was the SAAA one... which looked at the vertical loads on the pilots spine when involved in a modest prang. It was pretty confronting stuff and has made me leave the foundations and frames of the seats in mine alone rather than trying to get more comfort.

I send all my old mags off to my aeroclub but will try and find the article next time I'm out there.

kaz

The seats in my plane were sling seats. The ex office chairs have a ply base which is bolted to a duragal rhs frame.These are in turn mounted to the aluminium bearers running across the cabin about a foot or so off the floor. In a hard landing I think the chair would fair better then a canvas sling, But that is my opinion only, and if you think something is not strong or safe enough then by all means use something you are comfortable with. As with all things aeronautical, safety comes first.

I have also bought a pair of new JDM 4 point racing harneses fo $68.00 delivered from Melbourne. Should make for good restraints for ultralight use. Look simmilar to those used on the Drifters. These were sourced through ebay as well.

The vast majority of headsets don't have any electronic noise cancelling Jake... Just the traditional foam cups. For $24 it may be interesting to have a go. If you want a bargain headset with a 12 month replacement warranty you should check out the ones sold through the Clear Prop Shop right here on this site. More like $124 but still a bargain for a quality basic headset that is just plug and play.

I was referring to passive noise cancelling not active, although it didn't seem like it. I have a set of headphones that are the full foam cup design and while they work great for listening to music and blocking out general background noise I don't think I'd like to try something like that in an aircraft for fear of going death... It is surprising how much noise the gel cups on most aviation headsets block out though, foam probably wouldn't be as absorbent.

Headset with boom mike, $24.00 from Aldi.

A headset from Aldi?!?!?!?

Jake, I use the Aldi skiboarders protective helmet with the earflaps removed - fits beautifully around my ANR Headset earcups! (And only $20 each!)

Peter

Guest pookemon
I wonder how they would go competing against engine noise then...

Basic headsets don't have ANR - there's not a great deal of difference between PC type headsets and Aviation headsets. The biggest issue might be the impedence. A standard PC headset is ~32 Ohm while Aviation headsets are 160 Ohm -> 320 Ohm. Not sure whether that'd be an issue or not (i.e. Damage to either the headset or the radio).

Has anyone looked at the solid spoked pit pike rims and tires with their cable operated disc brakes. I have a few on hand and if they stand up to the punishment of jumping and the likes then maybe they could be a cheaper alternitive for the lighter aircraft. Food for thought.

Always thought the better quality BMX wheels with heaps more than standard spokes and disc brake would be excellent for a light aircraft. Especially something like a ww1 replica.

Another Qant-ass dropped its bundled today- should be some cheap gear available.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Correct me if I'm wrong but I as far as I am aware noise cancelling on headsets is a function of the Microphone and not the earphones I read a very good article somewhere on the construction of noise cancelling mics, has to do with the way the coils inside are constructed and seem to recall that they (the Noise cancelling ones ) have two coils in them instead of one. I wish I 'd taken a bit more notice of the article and could explain better but if you google it I'm sure you'll be able to find ample information.

Rick

Hey GuysCorrect me if I'm wrong but I as far as I am aware noise cancelling on headsets is a function of the Microphone and not the earphones I read a very good article somewhere on the construction of noise cancelling mics, has to do with the way the coils inside are constructed and seem to recall that they (the Noise cancelling ones ) have two coils in them instead of one. I wish I 'd taken a bit more notice of the article and could explain better but if you google it I'm sure you'll be able to find ample information.

Rick

That's noise cancelling mikes...which help quiet the noise when you make a transmission. But active headsets continuously pick up the noise (with a dedicated mike) inside your earmuff and basically create a signal which is the exact opposite (180º out of phase) of that noise. This opposite signal is fed into your ear speakers and this mixes with the noise in your earmuffs with the result that the noise is cancelled out.

The trick with Noise Cancelling Mics is that the two coils are connected out of phase. Any ambient noise hits both coils evenly, and because they're out of phase, the signal cancels. You voice, on the other hand, hits one coil much more strongly than the other, so it doesn't cancel and lives to tell the tale.

That's noise cancelling mikes...which help quiet the noise when you make a transmission. But active headsets continuously pick up the noise (with a dedicated mike) inside your earmuff and basically create a signal which is the exact opposite (180º out of phase) of that noise. This opposite signal is fed into your ear speakers and this mixes with the noise in your earmuffs with the result that the noise is cancelled out.

Jees Pete, and I thought you were a farmer ... well done:augie:008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifsuper_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

Jees Pete, and I thought you were a farmer ... well done:augie:008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifsuper_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif

Striking a blow against dumb farmer perceptions everywhere....it's....SuperNerdFarmer outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif

(edit...how many farmers do you know that would quote Einstein in their sig.... sad 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif)

• Like 1