Which Aircraft

RickH

Hey Guys

I have an almost complete Scratch built aircraft A midwing based loosely on the texasparasol and have 40 hours up flying in an X-Air. Have been putting off getting my licence until mine is flying( hopefully by this christmas) The midwing is a taildragger. I had limited experience with taildragers 30 years ago. Ihave discussed this question with my instructor but am curious about athor opinions on the likely differences in handling of the two types. X-Air being a tricycle U\C.

regards

Rick

Rick,

Generally there is a vast difference in the takeoff and landing handling characteristics between a Tail wheel aircraft and a tricycle gear aircraft. But there can equally be as big a difference between tail wheel aircraft of different brands. Some TW aircraft are docile and have few vices, others are twitchy, just waiting to get you when you are not on top of them, and some are a real handful such as the P51 (not that I or many will ever get to stick one of those ... LOL). You should definitely get proper instruction and do a tail wheel conversion, before attempting to solo it.

I might add that generally a TW aircraft will actually fly better (straighter), there is less drag with two wheel as the TW induces very little drag compared to a NW.

All tailwheels are directionally unstable because the wheels are in front of the CofG. So is a tricycle if you land on the nosewheel. A T/W will not roll straight of it's own accord. You have to keep it straight.

There are many factors that would provide a reason to seriously consider tailwheel. If you are using basic rough strips, it's the way to go. You wouldn't see a tricycle U/C in bush Alaska. The T/W gives you much more flexibility, handling wind and primitive runways. A nosewheel is easy to damage and when that happens, you are in trouble anyhow. Nev

. If you are able to get an instructor for your TW training who is prepared to fly your new aircraft (and you are prepared to let him) then he will be able to advise you as to which aircraft would be best to train in and what the handling differences are.

Alan.

Hey GuysI have an almost complete Scratch built aircraft A midwing based loosely on the texasparasol and have 40 hours up flying in an X-Air. Have been putting off getting my licence until mine is flying( hopefully by this christmas) The midwing is a taildragger. ...............Rick

Any photos of your plane Rick? Always good to see something different.