The saying "Near Miss"

Tomo

Contemplating over this today for some odd reason... anyway when we say that was a near miss, when something nearly hit. Shouldn't it be a near hit??

A near miss would be a hit... as it nearly missed?

062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

No, No, a HIT is surely a nearly missed, and a near hit is a right hook. English grammar - she is a silly way to communicate.

Anybody with enough time on their hands to contemplate the silliness of this grammar, are in desperate need of some flying to clear their heads.

Guest Andys@coffs

Careful; Tomo, being Near Miss (especially a cute one!) can lead to a relationship, A wife and then Kids...all of who will cause your log book to age without entry for many years, unless your "In the business" perhaps MAF is a good option for you, in which case a near miss is a godd (EDIT hmm abit freuidian..... I meant good ) thing, in fact the closer the better.

Andy

I certainly don't want to undermine Andy's fatherly advice Tomo.

I think this might date back to 1800' English. My grandafther who was born in the '80's used to say "very near" pronounced "veynear", such as "the ram veynear knocked me down, so near was used as a shortcut for nearly, just as today dude is short for gentleman, but gm will probably win.

I always thought a "Dude" was actually a sperm whale penis......or was it a camel?either way I always feel complimented on the size of my tackle when called a Dude.

A sperm whale camel? 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Word Origin & History

dude

1883, "fastidious man," New York City slang of unknown origin. The vogue word of 1883, originally used in reference to the devotees of the "aesthetic" craze, later applied to city slickers, especially Easterners vacationing in the West (dude ranch first recorded 1921). Surfer slang application to any

dude definition

[dud]

1. n.
    a male friend; a guy. (Also a term of address. There is no evidence as to the origin of this term. The earliest uses refer to a male who is carefully and meticulously dressed. Some people derive dude from dud. See also dude up.) : Who's the dude with the cowboy boots?

2. mod.
    excellent. (See also dudical.) : The game was severely dude! We won!

Who needs Wikipedia. Appears to be a dud of a flying day Cheers

Contemplating over this today for some odd reason... anyway when we say that was a near miss, when something nearly hit. Shouldn't it be a near hit??A near miss would be a hit... as it nearly missed?

062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Funny thing the English language. So much of it is dependent on context. Take for example the common PA announcement American flight attendants make, "We will be landing in (where ever) momentarily." Every time I hear it, I veynear brace for impact.

• Like 2

Momentarily in that sense is a US word, so technically you'd expect to come across it in the US.

English is a language used in many Countries of the world, with many dielects.

If we could use Australian English well, that would be a big step forward.

(Just going out to feed the Blue rens)

• 2 weeks later...